[Solved] Missing email client in the Start Menu.

Sampei.Nihira

Hi,

I set Interlink Mailnews as my default email client.

New Moon as default browser.

In the Start Menu New Moon is present, while Interlink MailNews is missing:

Fa3xABKb_o.jpg

Why?

I added the client to the Start Menu, but it's not the same layout:

KY4FjBeJ_o.jpg

I found the link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/shell/start-menu-reg

What do you think?

TH.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

I think it may have something to do with this:

I guess it was only partially fixed. I remember reading something more recent (2018) which indicated that such issues persisted but can't put my finger on that particular post.

Edited by win32

3 hours ago, win32 said:

I guess it was only partially fixed. I remember reading something more recent (2018) which indicated that such issues persisted but can't put my finger on that particular post.

It was me who reported again the issue, and thanks to harkaz's post, I manually edited registry to fix this.

Hi,

the bug you report prevents selection.
But now the selection is possible both for browsers and for email clients.

The problem now is that Interlink MailNews is missing in the email clients to select.

While this does not occur in browsers.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

On 4/21/2019 at 4:34 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

The problem now is that Interlink MailNews is missing in the email clients to select.

Your issue is most probably caused by the fact @roytam1's MailNews fork is being distributed as a .7z package and not as an installer ;) ; an installer is needed to write the necessary registry keys so that Interlink/MailNews appears as one of the available installed mail clients ; I am on Vista myself (as I'm sure you know already :P), but the related registry section should be quasi-similar in XP, too! In regedit, navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients] :

k4dtn0o.jpg

the "StartMenuInternet" subfolder should contain the choices for available browsers; the "Mail" subfolder should contain available installed e-mail clients (mine are Microsoft Outlook and Windows Mail - the latter is the default Windows client, akin to XP's Outlook Express 6); every mail client should have a "\Capabilities\StartMenu" subkey in order for it to appear inside Start Menu's "e-mail" selection; in my setup, I use Windows Mail as the default client, its subkey looks like:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Windows Mail\Capabilities\StartMenu]
"Mail"="Windows Mail"

Probably additional registry keys are needed for the StartMenu entry to function properly (i.e. actually launch the client...).

What one could do is install the official Interlink client on Windows 7+ with a registry monitor ON during the installation process, write down the new registry keys as a result of the install and somehow export them to the XP machine where MailNews is being used...:dubbio: As with any registry manipulation, take due precautionary measures... :yes:

Hope I've pointed you towards the right direction; I trust our own MSFN perennial XP experts to chime in with more... :P

58 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Your issue is most probably caused by the fact @roytam1's MailNews fork is being distributed as a .7z package and not as an installer ;)

yeah this could be the reason. since I use classic start menu in XP, never thought about this issue.

But also New Moon is distributed as .7z package..............

In "StartMenuInternet" folder there is even a previous Basilisk installation.
No reference in the "Mail" folder to Interlink.

Then the string Pale Moon is present in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet" and in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail" remains the Thunderbird string.

PscMBrDy_o.jpg

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Under "StartMenuInternet" in my registry I do not have palemoon.exe, even though I have New Moon installed and working. However, I do have basilisk.exe there. I'm thinking a browser installs itself there whenever you make it your "default" browser. (I never made New Moon my default browser.)

Something similar may apply to email clients. If you make it your default, it may install itself under "Mail" in your registry, and it should remain there even if you then make another email client your default.

34 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Under "StartMenuInternet" in my registry I do not have palemoon.exe, even though I have New Moon installed and working. However, I do have basilisk.exe there. I'm thinking a browser installs itself there whenever you make it your "default" browser. (I never made New Moon my default browser.)

Something similar may apply to email clients. If you make it your default, it may install itself under "Mail" in your registry, and it should remain there even if you then make another email client your default.

Not so :no:, as it is written in my first post Interlink MailNews is already my default email client.

I believe that to solve the problem you need a reg file that adds a Interlink Mailnews subfolder to the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail" with entries similar to those of Thunderbird.

Although this does not solve my doubt of the initial post.:dubbio:

I am disappointed that MailNews did not create the registry entries you need when you told it to become your default email client. But that only means that New Moon and MailNews work differently. New Moon does create registry entries under StartMenuInternet when you make it your default browser; I just tested it!

7 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I believe that to solve the problem you need a reg file that adds a Interlink Mailnews subfolder to the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail" with entries similar to those of Thunderbird. 

That would work; the registry entries could also be written by an installer (but someone would have to write one) or by MailNews itself (but someone would have to patch it to do so).

7 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Although this does not solve my doubt of the initial post.

You asked why MailNews doesn't appear as a choice when customizing your start menu, but New Moon does. It seems clear that the reason is, New Moon added the appropriate registry entries; MailNews didn't. I don't know what else you're still wondering about....

@Sampei.Nihira

From the Microsoft link in your first post:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/shell/start-menu-reg#registering-for-the-start-menu-email-link

The Start menu Email link has been removed as of Windows 7.

Matt A. Tobin has created the official Interlink e-mail client to target Win7+, so he may have deliberately removed the function to place registry entries under the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail" registry folder (as this is a WinXP/WinVista requirement ;)); I'm tired now to go through his repository, but, hopefully, that intentional change can be reverted by Roytam in a future MailNews release... :P

Edited by VistaLover

9 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Interlink MailNews is set as the default email client

You've set it as default via the app itself ; probably a long shot, but have you tried using the OS for this setting?

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=170#xp

Do you still have Thunderbird 52.9.1 installed?

Edited by VistaLover