Microsoft Edge Chromium (Updated: March 27th, 2024)

steven4554

On 8/16/2021 at 9:55 PM, UCyborg said:

If anyone else finds the text rendering odd, this should help:

https://winaero.com/how-to-enable-enhance-text-contrast-in-microsoft-edge/

Apparently compromises were made in Chromium code dealing with text rendering for cross-platform compatibility and Windows drew the short stick.

MS said they'll contribute this back to Chromium, but I doubt this is happening. Gotta keep Edge distinct from other Chromium variants, eh?

When I dabbled in Linux, it didn't have anti-aliased fonts - which is a GOOD thing, in my view.  It's been a while since I messed around in Linux.

I have to jump through some pretty big hoops to prevent anti-alias fonts in my Win7 installs.

They render okay in Win10.

My eyesight is so AWESOME that I can physically see the red and green sub-pixels that anti-alias fonts use - looks very CRAPPY when you can actually SEE them.

Most people's eyesight just "blends" those sub-pixels, mine does not.

Can't remember how RARE that is but I'm one of only three patients my eye doctor has ever witness it in.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

I haven't tried installing Windows fonts on my Linux installation yet. Curious of what the results would be since fonts look clear out-of-the-box without any specific tweaking.

Hi,

do you use MS Edge in a Linux distro?:no:

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

I looked through System settings on Manjaro KDE and font anti-aliasing is enabled by default. Turned it off to see what it's like and holy crap, hell no, can't imagine using that setting on regular basis. No, ne, nein, nyet, aniyo, na-ah.

So it's nothing to do with fonts (maybe certain types of fonts are exception, but I wouldn't know for certain), just how they're rendered. Chromium browsers on Linux apparently do follow system settings, so nothing out of the ordinary here (ignoring possible exceptions with niche distros/desktop environments).

But they apparently, at least from outsider perspective, use hardcoded parameters on Windows. Edge with edge://flags/#edge-enhance-text-contrast flag enabled is the exception. Some fonts look worse than others when rendered the Chromium default Windows way and really do cause eye strain for me, though Clean Font Families, which @ArcticFoxie pointed out some time ago, can help a bit. BTW, isn't this very similar to turning off the option in Firefox browsers to use fonts set by the website, if available? Either way, depending on one's tastes, the website may lose a bit of its personality then, at least on typical Chromium browser on Windows, fallback fonts still lack that extra touch that can be achieved following system parameters.

6 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I have to jump through some pretty big hoops to prevent anti-alias fonts in my Win7 installs.

They render okay in Win10.

Shouldn't they appear the same in both systems? Win10 still has ClearType enabled by default and the checkbox to turn it off is still in the ClearType tuner wizard, aka. cttune.exe.

Options are always welcome to tune them to what works for one's vision.

4 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Hi,

do you use MS Edge in a Linux distro?:no:

I use a little bit of everything (slight exaggeration), even though I do still lean on Pale Moon/Basilisk most of the time. Chromium browsers are interesting for the heavy content, but I avoid plain Google Chrome.

Edited by UCyborg

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Shouldn't they appear the same in both systems?

All operating systems look very VERY different in regards to how well (or terrible) they render anti-aliased fonts.

You be the judge, you'd have to be BLIND to not see the difference  --  Win7 on the left, Win10 on the right.  Same exact font being rendered by both OS's.  Default installs with ClearType "tuned".

spacer.png

MS added their own way to playback media through Media Foundation (on Windows 10+ only) behind a flag edge://flags/#edge-mf-clear-playback-win10. Needs specific codecs installed for widest format support. VP9 was already installed out-of-the-box here, AV1 may be added, though it's more for experimenting and because why not rather than for practical use since AV1 is computationally very intensive to decode, 720p at 30 FPS is the max that is smooth here in a browser with that codec on my aging hardware. MS seems to have removed Chromium's codec for playing AV1, hence why YouTube may appear much smoother out-of-the-box with Edge compared to equivalent Chromium version.

Observations with Media Foundation playback:

• Significantly more efficient than stock Chromium, 2560x1440 videos at 60 FPS encoded with VP9 are actually watchable here, compared to stock which seems to put out a frame or two before it chokes.
  • Switching to another tab or minimizing the window seems to pause processing the image of the video, according to CPU usage, here come the connected glitches after it's paused that way:
    • switching back shows the effect of catching up in fast-motion to the current frame,
    • looping does not work if enabled, it'll start playing again only after switching back to its tab.

Some lag was still detected with 1440p@60fps at some points, though it didn't register as frame drop on YouTube's stats.

On Pale Moon, there's a lot of lag/dropped frames right after starting playback, then it stabilizes and it's fine. However, playback in Linux version is smooth right away.

Edited by UCyborg

• steven4554 changed the title to Microsoft Edge Chromium (Updated: April 25th, 2022)

Haven't fired Edge in a while. Today I noticed it goes through configured proxy to check for extension updates installed from MS Store...but still connects directly for extension updates from Chrome store...I hate auto-updates.

Edited by UCyborg

On 4/28/2022 at 9:06 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Interesting result with Edge on the test:

https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/

uBlock Origin is enough for strong protection against Web tracking message. You're using tricks for randomized fingerprint, aren't you?

About Edge and extension policies, with policies in general, some just aren't followed unless you're joined to a domain (or so it's written). I have "Configure extension management settings" policy set containing JSON specifying all extensions with "override_update_url" set to "true" and "update_url" set to locally hosted updates.xml file, along with this trick applied, but it doesn't care.

There should be some better way than blocking access to clients2.google.com or side-loading the extensions.

Edited by UCyborg

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

uBlock Origin is enough for strong protection against Web tracking message. You're using tricks for randomized fingerprint, aren't you?

About Edge and extension policies, with policies in general, some just aren't followed unless you're joined to a domain (or so it's written). I have "Configure extension management settings" policy set containing JSON specifying all extensions with "override_update_url" set to "true" and "update_url" set to locally hosted updates.xml file, along with this trick applied, but it doesn't care.

There should be some better way than blocking access to clients2.google.com or side-loading the extensions.

I use a promising extension.
Its development is followed by Giorgio Maone (Noscript's developer) who helped me especially in a bug for documentation, I have already reported a couple of bugs that have been corrected.
In my opinion it should be used in chrome-based browsers but it is also available for firefox-based browsers.

Want to know what it is?