Will Vista work on Kaby Lake?

Arutz Tele

So guys, I have seen a video on the internet showing Vista running on a Skylake processor without issues:

After googling the processor from the System Properties, I found out and was surprised it was a Skylake processor, one of the post-Haswell processors. I saw something on this website before I signed up saying that Vista might not work good on Haswell and beyond processors, but for his Skylake computer it's kinda... working decently.

So, is there a possibility on getting Windows Vista to run on Kaby Lake?

it will work, i was probably the first to test this since i had a brand new skylake with 10 series pascal cards in 2016 , the problem is , it wont consistently work the same way, services sometimes wont start quickly or wont start at all  showing a black screen at startup. You can manually start the service should that happen or restart , other than that it will work 

4 hours ago, Arutz Tele said:

Wow. So about the services thing, wouldn't the ones that I could manually start would still work, or just barely any service, regardless would not start at all?

yes ,the services wont start but not all around 2-3 services mainly explorer.exe , the audio service or the dwm which handles aero , if you manually start it , it will run smoothly , I've never restarted my pc when it doesn't load , most of the times on a startup if you get a black screen all you have to do is open task manager and click new task and type explorer.exe in there and it would work perfectly.

Sometimes aero wont work , so one needs to open cmd in admin and type net stop uxsms and then net start uxsms

for audio , go to start , type services and go to the bottom and start windows audio , its not that tough as it seems , been using vista for 3 years on skylake (6700hq)

30 minutes ago, Arutz Tele said:

Anyways, would the drivers for Intel USB 3.0 (and HD 630) work for Windows Vista, even modified drivers? 

No, I have attempted modifying the Windows 7 USB 3 and HD 4600 graphics drivers for Vista when I tried running it on Haswell, and it just doesn't work.

31 minutes ago, Arutz Tele said:

Damn that Vista stereotype going true for new hardware.

Not necessarily. According to @greenhillmaniac, Windows Vista works fine on AMD's Ryzen platform, at least on the first generation Summit Ridge processors. This problem seems to be isolated to Intel's Haswell (and later) platforms. If you want to run Vista on Intel hardware without issues, your best bet is going to be Sandy or Ivy Bridge. I use Vista on a Core i7 3770 (Ivy) without any problems at all; the OS works just like it's supposed to and driver support is much better.

8 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Not necessarily. According to @greenhillmaniac, Windows Vista works fine on AMD's Ryzen platform, at least on the first generation Summit Ridge processors.

Should also work for newer Ryzen's, seeing you can use the same chipset (in my case B350) with the same functioning drivers. The only thing that's incompatible are the GPU drivers for the Ryzen APUs, since the last AMD GPU drivers compatible with Vista were released in mid-2015.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:50 AM, WinClient5270 said:

No, I have attempted modifying the Windows 7 USB 3 and HD 4600 graphics drivers for Vista when I tried running it on Haswell, and it just doesn't work.

i read somewhere 1-2 years back  that 4400 and a few others in the 4XXX series work on xp and vista and 4600 isnt possible since it has a corrupted/missing driver in the unofficial driver although i couldnt confirm this since the drivers are meant for desktop only and i had a mobile intel 4400 running xp , ofc usb 3.0 is out of the question

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2019 at 4:28 AM, burd said:

services sometimes wont start quickly or wont start at all  showing a black screen at startup

But why its happening? Maybe because of chipset driver? This is weird bug, since Windows 7 runs perfect on same hardware.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 12:54 AM, Andreasmir said:

But why its happening? Maybe because of chipset driver? This is weird bug, since Windows 7 runs perfect on same hardware.

no one knows ,it could be a process or anything, but windows 7 did also have this same issue , but it was patched by updates beforehand , vista did not get the patch afaik

Edited by burd

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I am now running Vista x64 on my i5-7200U laptop, using UEFI-CSM and GPT. I used vLite to slipstream the hotfix and driver referenced in this thread:

It is not digitally signed for NT 6.0 so I couldn't install it from USB as I hoped. Instead I extracted the contents of my vLited ISO to a folder and ran setup from within 2012R2. The first reboot failed with a blank screen, but setup ran smoothly after that. Later on, a prompt appeared for me to approve/reject an unsigned driver; that was the XHCI driver. Which works fine by the way.

But Windows Update has proven very problematic. It took two attempts to install Platform Update Supplement and the system boots to a 0x1E BSoD after installing the 2018-11 full rollup. This cheat of installing Platform Update, Platform Update Supplement then the rollup worked in a VM I had recently set up but it appears I will have to go with the WSUS-based approach that I conjured up previously and hope it doesn't blow up in my face this time. Luckily Vista has a decent VHD-based imaging utility (Windows Complete PC Backup in Business, Enterprise and Ultimate) that will save my bacon next time around.

• 2 months later...