XP EOL Updates List

TuMaGoNx

4 hours ago, broken120x120 said:

The thing that I would be most concerned about now is the time remaining before Microsoft Update v6 goes offline forever.

When did this happen to Win2000?

Seeing other dedicated diehards (OS/2, BeOS/Haiku or even Amiga) I have a feeling XP wont reach that level of community...  Just imagining  those try porting modern firefox onto relics OS is just crazy. In the end OS/2 fork and Haiku become half-linux franken OS.

1 hour ago, TuMaGoNx said:

When did this happen to Win2000?

Seeing other dedicated diehards (OS/2, BeOS/Haiku or even Amiga) I have a feeling XP wont reach that level of community...  Just imagining  those try porting modern firefox onto relics OS is just crazy. In the end OS/2 fork and Haiku become half-linux franken OS.

Keep in mind, Windows XP is an 18 year old operating system, and still commands roughly 4% desktop market share. You honestly don't think the community will stick around?

@sparty411

In number, yes. But the difference is those OSes are at the end of the line so users try hard to resurrect what left. While XP is in the end of well.. a branch? is not like Windows is over, so the drive to strive will be lower.

Edited by TuMaGoNx

13 hours ago, sparty411 said:

Doesn't Panda Dome antivirus still support XP?

Yes, and Avast and Malwarebytes too.
Although the most recent versions of their software don't support XP, there are XP compatible legacy versions which they say will continue to receive definition updates for the foreseeable future.
I couldn't get the supposedly XP compatible version of Avast to work on my XP system. Apparently this is a known issue with some systems, which hasn't been resolved (and now probably won't be), but they still have many XP users with no problems. I'm now using Malwarebytes, after my AV of many years, Trend Micro Internet Security, finally dropped support for their last XP compatible version, which actually stopped even running!
:)

22 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, and Avast and Malwarebytes too.
Although the most recent versions of their software don't support XP, there are XP compatible legacy versions which they say will continue to receive definition updates for the foreseeable future.
I couldn't get the supposedly XP compatible version of Avast to work on my XP system. Apparently this is a known issue with some systems, which hasn't been resolved (and now probably won't be), but they still have many XP users with no problems. I'm now using Malwarebytes, after my AV of many years, Trend Micro Internet Security, finally dropped support for their last XP compatible version, which actually stopped even running!

Ah, ok, I thought so. I really like malwarebytes. It saved me many a time back in my teenage years lol!

getting a virus or a spyware should be the least of worrys for a person still running XP.   Your worrys should be more like can I even get a virus becasue my OS is so old it wont run on my system, 

7 hours ago, bluebolt said:

For XP, there is still AVG Free, and also BitDefender (though requires old installer).
(And Microsoft Update still works for Windows 2000 Professional.)

Ah yes, I forgot AVG, although that's virtually identical to Avast as far as I can see.
Not surprising as they're the same company now, and I don't understand why they are still marketing them separately as they are now so similar.
I did try AVG, and it did work a bit better on my system than Avast did, but still had a lot of issues.
The UIs of Avast and AVG are now very similar indeed, and the Avast support guy said they were pretty much the same under the hood too.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Ah yes, I forgot AVG, although that's virtually identical to Avast as far as I can see.
Not surprising as they're the same company now, and I don't understand why they are still marketing them separately as they are now so similar.

Because AVG has built a wide community over the years and people are not willing to change. You can say that they are the same company, you can say that the definitions are the same as well as the engine, but some people (the average user) won't listen as he doesn't know and he doesn't want to know.

In other words, instead of taking the risk to picture themselves as the "evil company who bought and destroyed my favourite antivirus" they just ship Avast with an AVG UI and guess what? The average user is happy.

Edited by FranceBB

41 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Because AVG has built a wide community over the years and people are not willing to change.

Yet, the last good antivirus they've produced was AVG 9... when AVAST! bought AVG, they EoSed, all of a sudden, every old version AVG had kept releasing Definitions Updates to and forced even Licenced Users (aka those who paid for it) to upgrade to their latest & gratest megabloated version. That was when I gave up on them. Of course, by that time, AVG's heuristics had grown megaparanoid so there were false positives galore to be excluded from removal, which was also a big PITA. Alas, sic transit gloria mundi.

26 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Yet, the last good antivirus they've produced was AVG 9... when AVAST! bought AVG, they EoSed, all of a sudden, every old version AVG had kept releasing Definitions Updates to and forced even Licenced Users (aka those who paid for it) to upgrade to their latest & gratest megabloated version. That was when I gave up on them. Of course, by that time, AVG's heuristics had grown megaparanoid so there were false positives galore to be excluded from removal, which was also a big PITA. Alas, sic transit gloria mundi.

I ditched AVG shortly after that, when they started pushing their "Zen" program, and I've never missed it.  I've been extremely pleased with BitDefender, but I can't find the old version download online, so if I hadn't kept mine I don't think I could install on new builds.  It pays to hang on to some of that stuff.

I've used Kaspersky anti virus on all my machines for a numer of years.   I purchase the 3 machine package and install it on my windows 10 and windows xp machines.   It continues to receive updates and functions very well on my Windows XP machine.   I'll stick with it for as long as they continue to support XP