XP EOL Updates List

TuMaGoNx

Since nothing came up today (EOL), I make listing to recap the updates of XP and .NET framework after last Service Pack applied.

XP SP3 (no MCE/TPC)
.NET 1.0 SP3
.NET 1.1 SP1
.NET 3.5 SP1
.NET 4.0

XPNETpostSP.txt

Edited by TuMaGoNx

Oops its too loong I will upload the file instead...
IE8 Cumulative is the only missing update for YumeYao_IE8_Addon_Nosetuperr_ENU_1.5.30.7z
The list doesn't include custom hotfixes, and additional updates to .NET 1.0 on MCE/TPC

29 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Wow!  Can't believe it's finally all over with.  So what will most of you do now?  I mean, I run Windows 8 but only with updates up to November 2017.  How long do you think XP will be usable?

At least a few more years, I imagine. Likely until we cease to get updated browsers. 

I think it's less a matter of updates than of software. You can put an XP system behind an external firewall and make it very tough for a hacker to compromise, but if Web sites start using ECMAScript 2018/2019 features in their JavaScript and there isn't a compatible Web browser that runs on XP, then it'll be game over for a lot of folks. That's what eventually killed Win 98 for most intents and purposes.

There have also been a lot of non-browser software packages that have stopped supporting XP in the last several months. PotPlayer was the most recent example. But that doesn't drive obsolescence the way the Web does. Older versions of other software don't gradually stop working over time the way Web browsers do.

58 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Wow!  Can't believe it's finally all over with.  So what will most of you do now?  I mean, I run Windows 8 but only with updates up to November 2017.  How long do you think XP will be usable?

27 minutes ago, sparty411 said:

At least a few more years, I imagine. Likely until we cease to get updated browsers. 

And no viable antivirus remains. As it is, MSE should get definitions till 8.1 EoS or maybe even till it's corresponding Embeded 8.1 Industry EoS, which will happen on July 11, 2023, so that's 4 years 2 months hence. Even so, probably there'll remain ClamAV, so it looks like @sparty411 may be right and the browser will be decisive. But even then, I, for one, tend to install debian x64, then VirtualBox and XP SP3 inside it. So I guess I'm not giving up any sooner than, at least, 2021, or even much much later. When I finally find time and patience to build my next machine, I guess I'm gonna settle on a 3GHz 6950X i7 with some single PCI-e x16 video-card.

6 minutes ago, dencorso said:

And no viable antivirus remains. As it is, MSE should get definitions till 8.1 EoS or it's corresponding Embeded Industry, if any exists.
Even so, probably there'll remain ClamAV, so it looks like @sparty411 may be right and the browser will be decisive. But even then, I, for one, tend to install debian x64, then VirtualBox and XP SP3 inside it. So I guess I'm not giving up any sooner than, at least, 2021, or even much much later.

Doesn't Panda Dome antivirus still support XP?

14 minutes ago, dencorso said:

And no viable antivirus remains. As it is, MSE should get definitions till 8.1 EoS or it's corresponding Embeded Industry, if any exists.
Even so, probably there'll remain ClamAV, so it looks like @sparty411 may be right and the browser will be decisive. But even then, I, for one, tend to install debian x64, then VirtualBox and XP SP3 inside it. So I guess I'm not giving up any sooner than, at least, 2021, or even much much later. When I finally find time and patience to build my next machine, I guess I'm gonna settle on a 3GHz 6950X i7 with some single PCI-e x16 video-card.

Same here.

I've been running Fedora (Linux) due to hardware compatibility issues (no drivers) since 2016. I've been eventually using Linux for anything that XP wasn't able to do and whenever I had to use Windows (an updated one) for encoding or coding (Visual Studio 2017 etc) I fired up my second VM with Windows 10.

For the records, I also have VMs with Win98 and Android.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna stay as I am right now: XP for casual usage, Fedora for everything that XP can't do and Win10 for work. Eventually, I'll begin to use Fedora more and XP less 'till it's going to be inevitable.

It's been a good journey, guys, but as I said before, don't cry for what it's not going to be, smile for what has been... :')

(Not my picture):

cBaNRX0.jpg

In fact, once XP SP3 is inside VirtualBox, one can keep using it forever for Text Processing and Spreadsheets on Office 2003 and Graphics (I use Origin 6.0, never yet had any reason to buy a license to any later version of it). There'll always be some way to convert the next .doc(x)(y)(z)* format to plain old Word 97 .doc, and keep going. Same with .gifs, .jpgs, .pngs, and the like. As for browsing, one can always do it right on debian, and there's ESET for additional security at the OS level, pi-hole for crappy ads and Open-WRT firewall at the head of the LAN (and *NO* Wi-Fi whatsoever connected to it). Until Hell freezes over, Long Live XP! :yes::cheerleader:

I can't believe we're approaching the end of the legendary NT 5.x platform. I've been hooked ever since XP SP1, and have since tried nearly every iteration (with the exception of the 64bit releases).

Well it won't be the end for me, because I just bought an x58 workstation today! Perhaps it will follow the example of the 1989 Zenith VCR in my room and last me through at least 2040!! :)

Then hopefully 3D acceleration/GPU emulation in VMs will be near perfection!

Mathwiz said:

if Web sites start using ECMAScript 2018/2019 features in their JavaScript and there isn't a compatible Web browser that runs on XP, then it'll be game over for a lot of folks. That's what eventually killed Win 98 for most intents and purposes.

Actually gets worse. The final blow for those who didn't need much JS-heavy sites and still hung on, is modern SSL/TLS. Since last year TLS1.2/1.3 got enforced on more and more big sites, meanwhile guess half the web already and still rapidly growing, thanks to Google boss. On Github, sourceforge-downloads, dev-mozilla, palemoon-forum, etc., everywhere. That's what really KILLS everything, no chance to even see some plain html anymore - nothing. Too bad. Need K-Meleon for customizing and tweaking stubborn sites readable again, but its last version working without huge OS probs or alpha-bugs is KM1.6 (generation Firefox 3.5)
Now luckily there are a few TLS-enhanced browsers like Opera12, and especially Roy's updated builds like Retrozilla, which demonstrate that it would still be possible to browse 90% of todays web 'well enough' even with FF2 engine (plus some tweaking), which is amazing! If only many pages weren't so cluttered with big unremovable boxes hiding the text content behind them, everywhere big menu blocks and fixed title blocks and footers and teaser blocks etc. Without KM have no chance to chase those away, or insert little js-snippets and custom css and calculate redirects etc. Edited by siria

Compatibility issues kills operating systems, not security updates at least for home users.  @Jody Thornton XP will probably hang on long because there is so much hardware support for it.  Like that may sound silly but XP will run on pretty almost any hardware between 1999 and 2014 or so in there somewhere. 15 years of hardware is a long time in our small life spans.  The software library that will run well on it is even larger.  And like any CPU that is at least a core 2 duo or maybe even a Pentium M and later still have life left in them, but not really pentium 4s those are pretty much trash these days.

But ya browsers will kill it for the most part.

Edited by Destro

VMs are the way to go. I've heard they put heavy mileage on SSD. I don't wanna wear out my drive to run a vm though. I have Win 7 dual-boot with Slackware on a SSD.  I care about running XP on new hard as opposed to having a new browser.

27 minutes ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

VMs are the way to go. I've heard they put heavy mileage on SSD. I don't wanna wear out my drive to run a vm though. I have Win 7 dual-boot with Slackware on a SSD.  I care about running XP on new hard as opposed to having a new browser.

You can specify which type of disk you are using and let the software optimise for it (at least in virtualbox) but it will use your disk a lot anyway 'cause it has to load another OS at the same time with its own system files and with its own temporary data written in the page files...

What I'm actually doing, though, is to use a physical HDD to run XP (it's literally a bare metal hardware). I don't mean putting the large vmdk file there, I mean using the disk as it is. There's a function called "raw disk access" in both virtualbox and VMware that allows you to create a fake .vmdk file of a few kB that just points to a physical hard drive with a real installation of the OS. This way, virtualbox/VMware will access the disk directly as if you were booting from a real machine. :)

Very sad to see this come to an end, but as others have said, software compatibility is more important than software updates.

The thing that I would be most concerned about now is the time remaining before Microsoft Update v6 goes offline forever. This is a very real scenario as this is could possibly be the last patches any version of XP will ever receive, meaning it can be closed. Windows Update v4 was closed in 2011 which IIRC handled NT, 95, 98, ME, and 2000 >SP4. Support for 98 and ME ended in 2006, but there was info regarding a version of NT that was supposedly supported until 2011. We can't really know for certain when it will go offline, perhaps tomorrow, or in 5 years, but when it does, installing and updating W2K and XP will only get more difficult from then on.