Add SATA support in Textmode setup

murk

Hi everyone !

I want to add the SATA drivers (SI3112) available to the textmode setup. I've successfully tried the way to modify the TXTSETUP.SIF file by adding the driver. But I don't want to alter the core windows setup files.

So I tried the method described in DEPLOY.CHM :

- create the sub-directory Textmode in the $oem$ directory,

- put the driver files in this new directory (Si3112r.sys, SIWinAcc.sys, Si3112r.inf, si3112r.cat and TxtSetup.oem, nor the readme.txt neither the SiiSupp.vxd),

- Add the following lines in WINNT.SIF :

[MassStorageDrivers]"Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Controller for Windows XP/Server 2003" = "OEM"

[OEMBootFiles]

Si3112r.sys

SIWinAcc.sys

Si3112r.inf

si3112r.cat

TxtSetup.oem

It seems to "work", because I have this message at the textmode setup (mass storage drivers loadind phase, just after the input drivers loading phase) :

The file txtsetup.oem caused an unattended error (18) at the line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.
Here is the txtsetup.oem :
; This file installs the SiI 3x12 SATARaid driver as part of text

; mode setup on Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

;

; Copyright © 2002-2004 by Silicon Image, Inc.

; All rights reserved

[Disks]

disk1 = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Driver Installation Disk",\Si3112r.sys,\

[Defaults]

SCSI = Si3112r_XP

[sCSI]                  ; HwComponent section

Si3112r_XP = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Controller for Windows XP/Server 2003"

Si3112r_NT = "Silicon Image SiI 3x12 SATARaid Controller for Windows NT 4.0 and 2000"

[Files.SCSI.Si3112r_XP]

driver = disk1,si3112r.sys, Si3112r

driver = disk1,SiWinAcc.sys, SiFilter

inf = disk1,Si3112r.inf

catalog = disk1, Si3112r.cat

[Files.SCSI.Si3112r_NT]

driver = disk1,si3112r.sys, Si3112r

inf = disk1,Si3112r.inf

;;catalog = disk1, Si3112r.cat

[HardwareIds.SCSI.Si3112r_XP]

id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_61121095", "Si3112r"

a lot of ids

id = "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_436E&SUBSYS_436E1002", "Si3112r"

[HardwareIds.SCSI.Si3112r_NT]

id = "PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3112&SUBSYS_61121095", "Si3112r"

again a lot of ids

id = "PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_436E&SUBSYS_436E1002", "Si3112r"

[Config.Si3112r]

;value = Parameters, NT40WorkAround, REG_DWORD, 1

;value = Parameters\PnpInterface, 5, REG_DWORD, 1

value = ProblemDevices, "", REG_SZ, ""

value = ProblemDevices, "Maxtor 4D060H3                          DAK05GK0", REG_SZ, "MaxMode = UDMA-5"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST320012AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST330013AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST340017AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST360015AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST380023AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST3120023AS", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST340014ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST360014ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST380011ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST3120022ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

value = ProblemDevices, "ST3160021ASL", REG_SZ, "Mod15Write"

This file seems ok to me.

Any idea to make it work better ?

maybe its just me, but people don't search anymore.

The reason the TXTSETUP.SIF method is the most talked about on this forum, is because it's one of the FEW methods that work. The one in the deploy.cab file does NOT work.

I have a theory, based on a Sysprep setup, but I never got around to testing it.

I used the link to the nforcers page relating to that topic and I got it working without any problems - should make that link a sticky or something, at least in this category, as it's relevant, and the problem of installing to a Sil3112 seems to be very common.

It wasn't that hard either - add a few entries to txtsetup.sif (copied from the site), then copy the sil3112/r.sys (or .sy_ if compressed) file into i386 and burn the cd. I never seemed to have any luck with the winnt.sif and textmode directory usage.

Like I said, TXTSETUP.SIF WORKS! The Winnt.sif doesn't

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/addraid.htm

if you care to not go awry from MSFN based sites.

but I should point out to others when they post stating txtsetup.sif works, the poster already said he has that part working, he just didn't want to edit any setup files.

I want to add the SATA drivers (SI3112) available to the textmode setup. I've successfully tried the way to modify the TXTSETUP.SIF file by adding the driver. But I don't want to alter the core windows setup files.

The only problem I see with the winnt.sif method is that it doesn't appear to handle multiple controllers very well (like for people like me with both ITE8212 and Si3112 controllers on my motherboard), since there would be duplicate files (mainly txtsetup.oem, but would that even be necessary to include?).

Firstly, I have search. I havent't found anything interesting. This is a forum, not a knowledge base. That's why I've asked this question. :)

I will try to resume my problem.

I need SATA drivers in the textmode setup. The SATA device is not supported by default.

There are two methods (as far as I know) to solve my problem :

1 - TXTSETUP.SIF method,

2 - WINNT.SIF (or UNATTEND.TXT) method.

1 - TXTSETUP.SIF method :

The methods described here http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/addraid.htm or in the nforcers forum.

It is a great method. Alter the TXTSETUP.SIF file, add the driver files in the i386 directory. Great! :rolleyes: I tried it, and it works well. A new driver version is available. Damned! The driver has not the same name! I have to add this file again in TXTSETUP.SIF. Damned again! Can't remember what line in what section to copy&paste (I'm not so stupid, I'm lazy). And with all the other things slipstreamed (WMP9, DirectX, a wallpaper with my grandmother, ... ), DOSNET & TXTSETUP are polluted. Let imagine SP2 is available. I slipstream it on my master cd. Boom! TXTSETUP has to be clean. I have to restart all from scratch. :D

2 - WINNT.SIF (or UNATTEND.TXT) method :

Just have to create the $OEM$\Textmode\ directory, add the drivers files into it, and say in WINNT.SIF there those new files. It is an external way to add mass storage drivers.

Method wanted : Number 2

I saw this method working very well with a network share (but not the same hardware & drivers).

I want to do the same on a CD, but I have this error :D :

The file txtsetup.oem caused an unexcepted error (18) at the line 1742 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

Can anyone help me please ?

What problems are you having with updated drivers? All you should have to do is compress the new file and overwrite the old one in the i386 directory and maybe add some new PCI DeviceID strings to txtsetup.sif...

And for the integration I did, I made a separate text file with all the needed changes so I can rebuild the custom txtsetup.sif file very easily in the event of corruption or an upgraded XP build. Also, it would help you if you picked a standard spot for putting in the new entries and sticking to it. Also, why not use Ctrl+F and search for your old entry in txtsetup.sif? It seems to me that it would take a lot of work to not be able to find your entry...

In any case, the RAR archive in my thread does support the Si3112 controller and I've personally tested it in my own machine with no problems.

I'm working on a method right now for using a batch file to make all the necessary changes to txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif automatically to eliminate any chance of user error.

Firstly, I have search. I havent't found anything interesting. This is a forum, not a knowledge base. That's why I've asked this question. 

It is a forum, but there is no need to clutter the forum with questions asking for answers that have either already been answered or addressed. If you did search, you didn't search effectively. 30 days is not an appropriate window to search for most boards, let alone this one. Keep this in mind on future searchs, and don't always narrow down your search so you get an EXACT MATCH.

I'm thinking about starting a new thread once the bugs get worked out and I can get my new idea for a batch file install implemented. Hopefully we can get it pinned as an easy way for people looking for a quick solution to get up and running.