The UOC and QUOC Patch - Optimize Firefox (and derivatives) for old hardware!

13 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

What the....

(I tried re-enabling service workers; didn't help)

Please re-download it! I have re-released the patch with the Service Workers enabled. You can find it in the main page. Yesterday I tried to upload a test file of 1KB, and after enabling service workers, Mediafire started working again. It might be a problem with the site.

EDIT: Mediafire uploads successfully on my computer with the post-fix UOC Patch.

EDIT 2: I have tested the 45 ESR version of the UOC Patch on Seamonkey, and I can confirm it works very well. So now, the UOC Patch for 45ESR based browsers, is Seamonkey friendly!

Edited by looking4awayout

Mediafire is working now. Patch downloaded fine. You're probably right; it was probably a problem with the site that's fixed now.

BTW, see this post:

... if for security, you want to "lock down" service workers so they only run on sites like Mediafire that require them.

Edited by Mathwiz

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

Mediafire is working now. Patch downloaded fine. You're probably right; it was probably a problem with the site that's fixed now.

BTW, see this post:

if for security, you want to "lock down" service workers so they only run on sites like Mediafire that require them.

I would like to find a way to disable service workers while "filtering" the sites that need them... I will investigate it once I have enough time to delve deep in the patch. Meanwhile, I have released a new version, to fix some bugs. The archive name is the same, "2a", but there are some minor improvements under the hood. As always, please update and let me know if things run better. :)

Tried this patch last night on my Celeron D system... It definitely sped up Serpent and NM28, think of trying RT1's firefox45 build with it too on there...

After releasing the updated version of the UOC Patch for Firefox 45 ESR based browsers (build N2b), I have ported the updates to the 38 ESR version. If you haven't done it already, please update! Thank you for your support, and don't forget to test the UOC Patch on as many machines as you can!

I also encourage the more expert users to tweak the UOC Patch, I think that together we can make something even better. I'm not a programmer and I have zero experience at tweaking Firefox, all I'm doing is just a series of trials and errors and see what setting does what, and if it can bring benefits. So far, I've been lucky.

But if there's someone who knows his way around this browser (and I'm pretty sure there is!), maybe the patch can speed it up even further... And maybe someday, with @roytam1's permission, it could be even incorporated into his browsers, making New Moon and Firefox 45 ESR SSE "old computers friendly" right from the start. :)

UPDATED! I have reworked the way layers work and set them to -1. I've also enabled the use of deprecated textures. Apparently, in this way, the browser seems to run faster. Please update and test the new versions! Archive build is n2c. Please update, let me know how it runs and remember that the UOC Patch is provided AS IS. Thanks!

Good work!!! I've installed it on Roytam1 Firefox 45 ESR and i've seen a huge improvement in fluidity/reactivity giving quite similar performance to Chrome 49. On old processors (no SSE or very early SSE capable) it's worthy of application.

tHANKS

Just one question: what language pack do you use for 45 FF ESR? I've tried the Thunderbird 45* but it's not compatible with "nightly" version of FF

Edited by Vistaboy

After more intensive use, I must slightly review the initial impressions.

For pure sites consultation (news/institutional/mail) it works flawlessly and, as i said above, quite similar to chrome 49 that on this system used ( Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz) is fastest browser but severely penalized by the increasing number of sites that use protocol no more supported by chrome (ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH).

Issues begin to arise surfing on sites with a lot of interation/informations exchange like social/video/forums full of incorporated multimedial elements: e.g. a youtube video of 2 minutes starts after one minute of rotating wheel, while with chrome it starts almost immediately.

Finally, with more open pages (from 5 onwards) stability suddenly decreases and plugin-container stopped working (you can't click anything and have to close process from task manager loosing all pages).

That problem never happened to me before with pure Roytam1 Firefox 45 ESR/Serpent 52.

So summarizing, for quiet tasks the patch it's really ok giving a faster solution to chrome unsupported sites, but for an extensive use the lack of stability undermines its potential.

I'm not sure about the plugin container issue, as I haven't had any stability issue on my machine (and I usually keep 10+ open tabs on my Tualatin).

You should not have the plugin container. The UOC Patch disables it. That's strange. Do you have a custom Prefs.js? Try to delete it and let Firefox recreate a new one, and see if it makes any difference. On the machines I tested the patch, the plugin container gets disabled as soon as I run the patch, reducing the memory footprint. No stability issues encountered by my side. Do you have any kind of add-on installed?

If you haven't done it already, I recommend you to use Noscript, uBlock Origin 1.10.0 and Bluhell Firewall for a better experience alongside the patch.

For YouTube I use the vastly superior YT2Player plugin, that sends YouTube videos to VLC, preventing the CPU to get clogged. In-browser YouTube videos play fine on my machine but stutter a bit due to lack of CPU power, hence why I use that add-on. 

I wholeheartedly welcome someone who can help me ironing the patch out, as I'm clueless about what else I could do to improve it due to lack of coding skills and such.

EDIT: I'm testing the patch on a single core S754 AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 3GB of RAM, a Geforce GT240 and Windows 7 x86, using Firefox 45 ESR SSE and a fresh prefs.js.

test.jpg

No issues encountered with more than 5 tabs opened. I have stumbled upon the Youtube issue though, and I fixed it by just disabling uBlock Origin on Youtube. In case you get the "endless spinning circle" issue, just pause the video and resume it again. That did the trick for me. All the other videos worked fine for me afterwards.

Don't use the "No Google Analytics" add-on! It's a CPU hog and slows the browser down!

In C:\Programs\firefox\defaults\pref i have only channel-prefs.js and UOC_Patch45.js, no custom prefs.js.

I use only ublock but just for isolating issue/testing purpose on plugin-container try to open this from your FF45SSEpatched browser and see what happens. I can open it from Chrome but in FF45 everything hang up. 

24 minutes ago, Vistaboy said:

In C:\Programs\firefox\defaults\pref i have only channel-prefs.js and UOC_Patch45.js, no custom prefs.js.

I use only ublock but just for isolating issue/testing purpose on plugin-container try to open this from your FF45SSEpatched browser and see what happens. I can open it from Chrome but in FF45 everything hang up. 

Oh no no! You can find your Prefs.js file in your profile folder. If you have XP go to "C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(Your Profile folder)"

In case of Vista, go to "%Appdata%\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(Your Profile folder)"

EDIT: Just tried the page you linked. No issue by my side, except I had to whitelist the site in Noscript. No lockup. To put additional strain on the A64, I'm also making a Windows 10 USB drive through the Media Creation tool.

test2.jpg