The UOC and QUOC Patch - Optimize Firefox (and derivatives) for old hardware!

Hello, first thanks for developer of this patch, its very good that some one do optimization stuff for old (and cool) machines.

And now the issue)) How i can test performance and speed up of this patch in system without placebo effect ? I have P3 tualatin 1400@1600mhz 512mb ram and GF 5900xt card OS windows xp3 pro Sp3. And i don't see any different bitwine stok, mb little bit smoother. 

Maybe i dont intall it right i dont know( i just copy file in directory show on screen). Test in new moon 27 and firefox 45 esr.

And i install all extension that recommended in first post.

path1.jpg

path2.jpg

path3.jpg

Edited by S75

Hello and thank you for your feedback!

First, I have to ask you if you have installed the UOC Patch for Firefox 45 ESR in the proper folder (defaults\pref). The Enforcer has been installed in the wrong directory. As @VistaLover correctly pointed out.

Did you start with a clean profile? If you already modified the prefs.js in the past, there might be some issues. Also, the FX5900XT is quite borderline in terms of minimum requirements and so, the improvement in graphics acceleration might be minimal compared to say, a Geforce 6800GT.

The driver version matters! On the 6800GT, Forceware 81.98 gives a much better performance with the UOC Patch. I'm not sure which Forceware version runs better with the FX series.

Usually, the most effective way is to directly compare the performance between unpatched browser vs. the patched and enforced one, starting from a clean profile. That might give you a better idea of the performance improvement.

I am working on a new version of the UOC Patch, I might release it today if I have the time. Once done, please update.

Edited by looking4awayout

*UPDATE!*

I have reworked all the versions of the UOC Patch and the Enforcer, as I have increased the amount of content processing the browser can do, from 0 to 4. This seemed to improve performance on my machine. I also have introduced the support for E10S both on the 45 ESR and the 52 ESR version of the Patch. On the 38 ESR version, it has not been added because 38 ESR based browsers do not support E10S. For the users of Classic Theme Restorer, I have added two options in the UOC Enforcer for 45/52 ESR based browsers that disable the animations when you click on an UI element, since they consume CPU cycles. The new build version is N2I.

On the 45 ESR version of the UOC Patch, I have reduced the tile size to 4x4, because it seems that speeds up scrolling and makes it smoother. On the other hand, on 38 ESR based browsers, doing the same makes them unusable and prone to crashing, so I have left them at 512x512. I haven't touched the 52 ESR version in that aspect, as I do not have a machine where I can test the different canvas sizes, so that one has been left with the stock 256x256 parameter.

If anybody of you uses a FF52 based browser with the UOC Patch, please do this test for me. In about:config, search for these the parameters below:

layers.tile-width

layers.tile-height

They are set to 256x256 by default. Try to change them to 512x512 and let me know if you notice a difference. If you do, I will implement that in the Patch.

As always, please update and let me know the outcome, and remember that the UOC Patch and the Enforcer are offered AS THEY ARE.

Happy RDDin'!

12 hours ago, S75 said:

Maybe I didn't install it right, I don't know ( I just copied file in directory show on screen)

path2.jpg

path3.jpg

Methinks the UOC Enforcer file (user.js) hasn't been correctly installed, as both directories depicted are not the main profile directories of either New Moon 27 nor FirefoxESR 45!

Page 1 of this thread says: 

On 4/3/2019 at 4:35 PM, looking4awayout said:

In order to install the UOC Enforcer, you must put the user.js file into your Firefox/New Moon/Pale Moon/Sea Monkey profile folder, that you can usually find at C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\{Your Browser}\{Browser Name}\{Profile Folder} on XP

To easily locate your main browser profile folder, use the browser's about:support  internal tab, from there "Application basics" => "Profile folder" => "Open folder" button...

E.g. for FxESR 45 it should be located at:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Tualatin\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\e0afyh62.default"

Regards

Edited by VistaLover

On 10/31/2019 at 5:23 PM, VistaLover said:

To easily locate your main browser profile folder, use the browser's about:support  internal tab, from there "Application basics" => "Profile folder"

thanks this help. Think need add this information in first post for more careless users like me, because in first time i don't find original folders :\

On 10/31/2019 at 3:25 PM, looking4awayout said:

Did you start with a clean profile?

in first case no. But after you post clear both browsers NM27 and FF.

Also, the FX5900XT is quite borderline in terms of minimum requirements

Lol it's even upgrade card in first time i test vs GF2 m400 and hope to see any speed ups))

(i know that required dx9 card, but hope do some test mb even GF2 work)

the improvement in graphics acceleration might be minimal compared to say, a Geforce 6800GT.

Luckily i have GF 6800 and now test with it and install Forceware 81.98 driver like you say.

Usually, the most effective way is to directly compare the performance between unpatched browser vs. the patched and enforced one, starting from a clean profile. That might give you a better idea of the performance improvement.

Test stock browser NM and FF vs Patched. Patched version of both is real smoother and faster. Thanks. 

Re:

On 10/31/2019 at 10:11 AM, looking4awayout said:

I also have introduced the support for E10S both on the 45 ESR and the 52 ESR version of the Patch.

Keep in mind that this will crash NM 28, even though it works fine in FF 52, Serpent 52, and Serpent 55 (and probably BNavigator, although I haven't tried e10s on that browser).

You may want to create a separate version of the 52 ESR Patch for PM/NM/MyPal that doesn't turn e10s on.

Just a general side note, regarding those 2 "application data" directories:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\...profile...
C:\Documents and Settings\compname\Local Settings\Application Data\...cachedstuff...

Those had confused me mighty for years, before realizing there's actually two appdata folders. And then was initially confused yet more: huh - two??
But it's a good idea to kepp the second folder in mind too. It's a strong suspect if sometimes the browser acts weird, as if it had a ghost cache somewhere... and that's exactly in LocalSettings where it's hiding. For example if an addon gets disabled but stubbornly still has some lingering effects or similar. XUL stuff is cached in the startup-Cache folder, as seen in the screenshot, and it can be deleted to clean up and refresh itself. Basically the profile folder is for user stuff, and the LocalSettings folder is for machine-related cached stuff, just for faster startups.

5 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Re:

Keep in mind that this will crash NM 28, even though it works fine in FF 52, Serpent 52, and Serpent 55 (and probably BNavigator, although I haven't tried e10s on that browser).

You may want to create a separate version of the 52 ESR Patch for PM/NM/MyPal that doesn't turn e10s on.

EDIT: I have just released a New Moon 28-specific version of the UOC Patch. If you have New Moon 28, can you test it for me? Thank you very much!

UPDATE!

I have done a little update on the 45 ESR version of the UOC Patch. It seems that reducing the size of tiles to 2x2, further increased scrolling performance. Please test it and let me know if the same happens on your machine. Otherwise, I will revert the values to 4x4. :)

On 11/1/2019 at 7:24 PM, looking4awayout said:

EDIT: I have just released a New Moon 28-specific version of the UOC Patch. If you have New Moon 28, can you test it for me? Thank you very much!

I'm using the PM28 patch on my Thinkpad T42p with a 2GHz Pentium M, 2GB of DDR, and a Radeon FireGL T2 GPU. Scrolling speed does some to be much improved, but I did notice that the feedback score element is missing when I hover over my username on the eBay landing page. I have highlighted the general area where it is normally displayed, in the picture provided. Not a deal breaker, but worth taking note of IMHO.

feedbackscore.JPG

6 hours ago, sparty411 said:

I'm using the PM28 patch on my Thinkpad T42p with a 2GHz Pentium M, 2GB of DDR, and a Radeon FireGL T2 GPU. Scrolling speed does some to be much improved, but I did notice that the feedback score element is missing when I hover over my username on the eBay landing page. I have highlighted the general area where it is normally displayed, in the picture provided. Not a deal breaker, but worth taking note of IMHO.

feedbackscore.JPG

EDIT: I have fixed the issue on both the 52 ESR and the NM28 version of the patch. It was caused by this value:

pref("network.http.referer.XOriginPolicy", 2);

Removing this value has restored the user avatar and the feedback count on Ebay. Please re-download and update! :)

EDIT 2: I have implemented multithreaded image decoding but only on the 45 and 52 ESR versions of the UOC Patch. The 38 ESR and NM 28 versions haven't been touched, as they do not support E10S. Ironically, enabling multithreaded image decoding has somewhat sped up the process of loading images on my Tualatin. Never thought multithreading would work on single core systems...

However, all the versions have been modified to reduce the maximum amount of rendered text per page, from 8191 to 4095.

Please update!

UPDATE!

I have linked here the PowerUOC Patch, a fork of the UOC Patch made exclusively for Power Macintosh systems running the TenFourFox browser. The PowerUOC Patch is a joint development by me and user z970mp at the Macrumors forum.

So, if you have a Power Macintosh G3, G4 or G5 system, and you want to give it a boost with TenFourFox, notoriously known for being a quite sluggish browser, now you can with the PowerUOC Patch. However, unlike the standard UOC Patch (including the Macintosh version developed by me, for Arctic Fox) this one must be installed in a different way. Instructions are provided in the readme file that you can find in the PowerUOC archive.

The 52 ESR and NM28 of the Patch have also been updated. Please update!

17 hours ago, roytam1 said:

hope this rev can help (preventing them to be enabled by users): https://github.com/roytam1/UXP/commit/e578dccb6d69c327f5ad334064320ba25b24f5de

Thanks. When I get a chance, I'll test it. If it works, @looking4awayout won't need to maintain a separate NM28 version of his patch (NM28 will simply ignore the preferences that enable e10s).