The UOC and QUOC Patch - Optimize Firefox (and derivatives) for old hardware!

It is annoying. The Mozilla devs, after they finally got both tiled compositing and asynchronous pan and zoom working in 45 ESR, weren't happy about something that worked properly and decided to break it again. Almost deliberately. 😬

Edited by looking4awayout

UPDATE!

I have noticed that in Firefox 45 ESR based browsers, reducing the size of tiles, contributes to increase performance. So, I have reduced the tile size from 256x256 to 4x4, increasing the overall smoothness of scrolling in a page.

Only the 45 ESR version has been updated, because doing the same on 38 ESR and 52 ESR based browsers, on the other hand, is detrimental to performance.

Please update and let me know how it performs on your machine. Thanks!

have tested this patch just out of curiosity but I don't feel any apparent improvement..... there is nothing better than multi process availability  

it however removes tab's icons and I'm unable to play Youtube videos... two major important things. !!!

2 hours ago, caliber said:

have tested this patch just out of curiosity but I don't feel any apparent improvement..... there is nothing better than multi process availability  

it however removes tab's icons and I'm unable to play Youtube videos... two major important things. !!!

On what computer did you try it? Specs? OS version? Foxbox version? Is your graphics card AGP, PCI, PCIe? Is it DirectX 9 compliant?

As a safety measure, always start with a fresh profile before applying the patch. Some incompatibilities might arise with a custom prefs.js file.

Remember! The UOC Patch is aimed to old single core computers, with at least a 128 bit buss AGP graphics card.

The version of the browser matters. You must never mix codebase versions! The UOC Patch removes favicons by design. If you don't like the way the Patch behaves on your computer, you can tweak it to suit your needs, as I always said (I suppose you have read the main post, didn't you? -_-). Concerning Youtube videos, it is made for those computers that are unable to play Youtube videos through the built-in HTML5 player. Regardless of that, the UOC Patch does not touch the built-in HTML5 player in case you want to use it. You should not have issues, unless you have the Geforce FX 5200. In that case, you must reduce the amount of layers (layers.max-active) from 6 to 1, as @grey_rat said, but I would suggest you to try to set it to -1, and see if there's a difference.

However, if you noticed no improvement and you say that "there is nothing better than multi process availability", it clearly means you use your Foxbox with E10S enabled, and that means you have a multicore CPU, and so, your computer clearly does not need the UOC Patch in order to perform properly, because your specs are good enough to run standard, unpatched Foxboxes. 

P.S. Youtube HTML5 plays fine on my Mac Mini 1.1 running Arctic Fox with the UOC Patch.

of course this patch is totally useless and obsolete to me.

I think you are the only one in this forum with a single core CPU in 2019. why ?

I thought that my web browsers would run as smooth as they do on W7

2 hours ago, caliber said:

of course this patch is totally useless and obsolete to me.

I think you are the only one in this forum with a single core CPU in 2019. why ?

I thought that my web browsers would run as smooth as they do on W7

You haven't provided me the specs of your machine, nor the Foxbox version you are using.

The purpose of the UOC Patch is to optimize Mozilla based browsers for old and obsolete systems. Not for modern computers. Your computer is multi-core with PCIe and such? You do not need the UOC Patch. As simple as that.

Try it on an Athlon XP or a Pentium III machine with a supported graphics card, and you will notice the difference. As for why I use a Pentium III computer in 2019, I do not need to add anything other than "for fun", because I like to use it. You don't like that? Not my problem.

You clearly have completely missed out the point of this patch, and I am not interested to continue replying to your posts. I have been taught that trolls must not be fed.

Have a nice day. :thumbup

5 minutes ago, looking4awayout said:

You clearly have completely missed out the point of this patch, and I am not interested to continue replying to your posts. I have been taught that trolls must not be fed.

didn't miss anything out I was just testing it to see if I could gain some performance.

I thought you wanted people to test your patch and then hear about their result but if you are rude and get mad in this small comunity you have a serious problem

so it's not a matter of money and you use a Penitum 3 just for fun...

I trow away two computers better than yours a few days ago and I have more hardware lying around... I could ship it to you if necessary but with this kind of attitude forget it.

1 hour ago, caliber said:

You would be horribly mistaken.

It’d still be wrong, but vastly less wrong to say you’re the only person who doesn’t use single core CPUs here these days.

And complaining about the hardware people choose / choose not to use isn’t something we do here.

Edited by i430VX

50 minutes ago, caliber said:

didn't miss anything out I was just testing it to see if I could gain some performance.

I thought you wanted people to test your patch and then hear about their result but if you are rude and get mad in this small comunity you have a serious problem

so it's not a matter of money and you use a Penitum 3 just for fun...

I trow away two computers better than yours a few days ago and I have more hardware lying around... I could ship it to you if necessary but with this kind of attitude forget it.

The patch works fine on all of my single core machines. Your inability to use the software correctly is not the authors fault :lol:

Stop projecting.

Just for the record, I tried out the new UOC Patch for FF 52 on my dual-core AMD A4 machine (integrated GPU) with Windows 7 and Serpent 55, and it did speed up scrolling noticeably.

It wasn't a big difference, as performance was already fine with that hardware (even though it's near the low end for Windows 7 systems), but it was at least enough to notice. So it might be worth trying even if you have a multicore processor and/or have multiprocess mode enabled.

BTW, you can benefit from multiprocess mode even with a single-core processor. Although the processor can only do one thing at a time, multiprocess mode will still let you split your RAM usage among several processes and let you open more tabs without running out of RAM.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Just for the record, I tried out the new UOC Patch for FF 52 on my dual-core AMD A4 machine (integrated GPU) with Windows 7 and Serpent 55, and it did speed up scrolling noticeably.

It wasn't a big difference, as performance was already fine with that hardware (even though it's near the low end for Windows 7 systems), but it was at least enough to notice. So it might be worth trying even if you have a multicore processor and/or have multiprocess mode enabled.

BTW, you can benefit from multiprocess mode even with a single-core processor. Although the processor can only do one thing at a time, multiprocess mode will still let you split your RAM usage among several processes and let you open more tabs without running out of RAM.

I wish someone could fix the APZ and tiled compositing on FF52 browsers... That would speed them up much more. I will try to check out e10s on the Tualatin, since at the moment I'm running it with it disabled.

EDIT: How to enable multiprocess mode? Through the browser tabs remote autostart option in about:config?

I have followed the thread and apparently, I might have enabled it on FF45 ESR SSE. I still only see one process in the task manager, but I am testing it and investigating whether or not brings any improvement.

Will investigate further.

You should see at least two tasks; perhaps more (if you set dom.ipc.processCount to a value greater than 1. I use 2.) If you don't, click Help / Troubleshooting Information, and in the "Application Basics" section near the top, look for the "Multiprocess Windows" entry. If it reads 0/1, then it's disabled and there should be a reason in parentheses.

I haven't tried it in a version earlier than FF 52. In FF 52 you have to create the browser.tabs.remote.force-enable Boolean pref, but that shouldn't be necessary in FF 45. (Mozilla disabled it by default for XP systems in FF 49.)

On my system it says 0/2 (Default: false) or something like that. I'm not at the RDD right now but once I'm there I will do various tests. I will not implement E10S in the next version of the UOC Patch though, I prefer to let the user decide whether it brings benefits or not.

I'm currently running it with the process count set to 3, I haven't noticed anything detrimental to performance so far.