The UOC and QUOC Patch - Optimize Firefox (and derivatives) for old hardware!

On 4/3/2019 at 10:35 AM, looking4awayout said:

As soon as you put the patch into the "Pref" folder, the default about:config parameters will be replaced by the ones of the patch, unless you have modified the same parameters. If so, you can switch to the UOC Patch parameters by simply resetting them in the about:config.

Given different hardware specs, I do not use many of the tweaks in UOC. However, the idea of having a preconfigured set of default config settings is something I could use, as I use up t four different profiles in SP52. So, can I tailor specific settings to my taste? I guess so, but I want to confirm before embarking on it.  Thanks

I don't think @looking4awayout is around any more. His last post on this forum was Sept. 2020. But I think you can still tailor his UOC patches as you wish. They are merely text files containing very simple JavaScript: just a series of calls of the pref function to set default preferences before the user preferences in your profile are processed. You can edit them or create your own with any text editor - even Notepad.

UPDATE!

After a long hiatus due to severe real life issues, including COVID-19 and whatnot, I have finally managed to port the UOC Patch to Firefox Quantum! And so, I can officially introduce the first release of the QUOC Patch! 

The QUOC Patch (pronounced "Quawk") is a Quantum-exclusive port of the classic UOC Patch that we all know and love, except this one has been aimed to the hardware that can (or barely) run Firefox Quantum and derivatives, including the very latest version. I have tested the patch on a very low end laptop, a Packard Bell Easynote TE-69KB with an AMD E1-2500, 4GB of RAM and Windows 8.1, and it really does make a difference compared to stock settings.

This special port of the patch has been based on the currently public N2M version, to provide the maximum stability. The QUOC Patch uses the 45 ESR version of the UOC Enforcer.

As usual, please test it and let me know how it performs on your system. 

Thanks everyone for your patience and support!!

EDIT: There are two keys in the QUOC Patch file that have been commented out. These are:

privacy.firstparty.isolate and privacy.trackingprotection.enabled

If you remove the // and the comments, enabling those keys, you will increase the privacy protection in your browser at the expense of some sites not working correctly or some others not displaying thumbnails, such as https://www.geo-ship.com . I have left them disabled in the patch, but you're free to tweak the file and enable them, if you wish.

If you use Telegram Web with the QUOC Patch and you experience videos and GIFs not loading, simply set this key dom.caches.enabled to True.

Edited by looking4awayout

• looking4awayout changed the title to The UOC and QUOC Patch - Optimize Firefox (and derivatives) for old hardware!
27 minutes ago, grey_rat said:

After FF91, optimization almost does not make sense. Firefox deleted Basic, Direct 3D 9 and Opengl 2 accelerations

You can use my settings for FF68-102 if you understand the Russian language

https://habr.com/ru/post/424019/

https://habr.com/ru/post/459880/

I have done tests on two low end computers (laptops) and the tweaks of the QUOC Patch have made a difference. Now I don't know if support for D3D9 has been removed altogether, but after applying the patch, the browser is much more smooth and responsive and it seems to have some sort of acceleration enabled.
Besides that, everyone can tweak the patch as they want, and can enable DirectX 11 or OpenGL in about:config.

I will take a look at your tweaks once I have enough time, as my work keeps me quite busy, and test them alongside the patch. Could you let me implement them in case they work with the patch? I would give you credit for those in that case.

2 minutes ago, grey_rat said:

You can do whatever you want with my settings. Even translate them into English, I will only be happy

Thanks! Once I have time I will study them and test them on the low end machines I receive at work and if they harmonize well, I'll implement them in the Patch and give you credit. :thumbup

Actually, this makes me curious about whether I can implement some of the QUOC tweaks in the classic UOC Patch. I just need time to settle down so I can return to the RDD regularly.

1 hour ago, grey_rat said:

After FF91 it's hard

I like challenges... :buehehe:

Please, everybody, re-download the QUOC Patch if you're using it, as I've done some minor bugfixes and housekeeping. Thanks and please, test it on as many Quantum-capable platforms as possible!

layers.allow-d3d9-fallback - no D3D9, remove in Firefox 54, work only in MyPal 68

webgl.disable-angle - different conditions

webgl.dxgl.enabled - for Windows true

pref("dom.ipc.plugins.reportCrashURL", true); - ???

devtools... - It is advisable not to turn off

pref("browser.slowStartup.notificationDisabled", false); - ?

pref("dom.webcomponents.enabled", 0);
pref("dom.webcomponents.customelements.enabled", 0); - ???

pref("layers.deaa.enabled", false);
pref("layers.componentalpha.enabled", false); - ???

pref("layers.bench.enabled", true); - ?

pref("media.opus.enabled", false);
pref("media.ogg.enabled", false); - ???

pref("media.webm.enabled", false); - ?

pref("webgl.prefer-16bpp", true); - ?

pref("dom.webgpu.enabled", true); - ?

pref("gfx.webrender.software.d3d11", false); - ?

pref("gfx.webrender.enabled", true); - ???

Update!

I have done some bugfixes and added some other tweaks to the QUOC Patch. Youtube videos now should be fully hardware accelerated, at least on the machine I tested the patch. I also have made an OpenGL compatible version, in order to be used on Macintosh and Linux systems.

Please update, in case you have already installed the QUOC Patch, and test it on as many systems as possible.

For QUOC users with an ATI graphics card who are experiencing issues with the UI appearing black, please go to about:config and set the key below:

gfx.webrender.flip-sequential to false.

I have already removed the key in the currently public version, so you can just update to the fixed version. So far, with the key disabled (testing it on an AMD E1-1500 laptop right now) there doesn't seem to be any negative impact on performance.