Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware? [Testing thread]

@tyukok: Interesting, but the communication with and "setting" of the codec is still not good. But the driver got at least the right codec id: $000F0000=$10EC1220 means the codec answers the GET Verb $000F0000 with ($)10EC1220, which means Realtek 1220! In HDACFG.INI you should find CODEC_VID=$10EC and CODEC_DID=$1220. What actual value has CODEC Index= there?

@deomsh oddly, now it said CODEC Index=$0

Ok, so I thought that maybe I installed the driver wrong or something like that, so I reverted back to how the system was before installing the driver and tried again. And sure enough, the settings now were different. (hdacfg1.ini and hdalog1.txt)

And, since CODEC Index in hdacfg.ini was $0, next thing I tried was using Hdaicout.hda.000, but there was no sound. (hdalog2.txt)

Then I tried VerbInterface=$0. (hdalog3.txt and hdacfg2.ini) Also I set HDA Sound in Multimedia and tried to play an mp3 file. The slider in the player was moving, but still no sound.

Then I reverted to VerbInterface=$1, and tried different wait values. No result.

HDAcfg1.ini HDALOG1.TXT HDALOG2.TXT HDAcfg2.ini HDALOG3.TXT

@tyukok: Big progress. :cool: HDALOG.TXT looks much better. Also movenent of the slider when playing sound is good, means the driver is pumping digital sound to the HD-audio link.

But this time there is a basic problem. "TSR=TSR not found" in your new versions of HDACFG.INI wasn't there in your first upload, so no DMA buffer anymore. The digital sound can not get to the buffer. :(

Please check your AUTOEXEC.BAT for a HDATSR line. 

@deomsh There was no HDATSR line in AUTOEXEC.BAT, so I added it, and now it says "TSR installed" during boot. Also now it's "TSR found" and following lines were added in hdacfg.ini:

[BUSMASTER]
myPCIHI=$0012
myPCILO=$0000
myPCI=$00120000
aPCIHI=$0011
aPCILO=$0000
aPCI=$00110000

Still no sound.

I thought HDATSR is needed only if your system has less than 512MB of RAM. I'm using patched vmm.vxd and vmm32.vxd, so my system has 3.3GB.

Edited by tyukok

@tyukok: About HDATSR and available memory, it's true you can do without HDATSR, but in that case you must set manually [BUSMASTER] memory addresses in HDACFG.INI that are "out of the reach of Windows". Since this is not the problem here, I'd like to see your latest HDACFG.INI, HDALOG.TXT, and since you're using HDAICOUT.HDA too HDAICIN.TXT.

@Dave-H: without HDATSR should be possible by means of limiting Windows' memory to a few Megabyte's less, and set the [BUSMASTER] addresses there in HDACFG.INI

Edited by deomsh

@Dave-H: I am not aware of drawbacks for the 16-bit HDA driver. But HDATSR will cost you: about 9Kb Conventional memory, and a part of your memory area above 1Mb. If there is no room left in the first Mb's because of certain MS-DOS programs using that memory too, the Busmaster addresses used hy HDATSR will shift to higher addresses, risking being overwritten by Windows. That's all I think I can say about this subject. :ph34r:

The experiments I described in my thread "Smartdrive Revisited" suggests this can already be a problem in case of SMARTDRV with a cache of 4096 (=4Mb), in combination with HDATSR.

But there are centainly members that can give a more conclusive explanation than I am capable of. :angel

@tyukok: I analyzed your latest files, all values are at least possible. Apart from setting VolumeWidget=$0C in HDACFG.INI and trying ALL jacks with Headphones I can´t suggest anything more at the moment (ALL jacks are set as Output Pin´s in playback mode by the "universal" version of HDAICOUT.HDA).

There must be written a HDAICOUT.HDA for codec ALC1220, now its maybe worthwhile to spend time needed. Problem is your codec is a Realtek High-End codec WITHOUT data sheet available. So I have to try to reconstruct the codec from Linux and AppleHDA sources. Although I took already a first look, it doesn´t look as an easy task and will take some time.

Edited by deomsh
Correction

@deomsh I tried it and had a following error:

Exception EConvertError in modula HDA2.DLL at 000B:043D. '$0C' is not a valid integer value.

If it won't work out it's alright - I'll just make use of a conventional PCI slot on my MB and add an age-appropriate soundcard. I'm thinking Dynex DX-SC51 - it has decent sound quality, there are 64-bit drivers for it, meaning it will work with modern Windows as well, and, to top it all of, it has a Wavetable header.

Or maybe not even all that age-appropriate - SB Audigy Rx reportedly runs in Windows 98 with kX project audio driver 3538c. The only problem here would be finding this exact release of the drivers.

@tyukok: the error indicates a typo. Are you sure you didn't type $OC instead of $0C ?

If you found a decent soundcard, there is no reason to continue, unless you like further experiments. But that's up to you. Using HDA2.DLL is not always easy and there is no garanteed succes. :crazy: