Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware? [Testing thread]

24 minutes ago, farfigs11 said:

@ Deomsh & Dave-H. I've been following your work here and finally got some time to give HDA a try on my Dell Inspiron 9400.  It has Sigmatel 9200 audio.  I followed pg1 of this topic instructions.  The driver loaded and I could see HDA in the multimedia sound options however I got a BSOD with an "application error" when desktop loaded but was able to continue-no  sounds heard.  I then copied  HDAICOUT.HDA to my Windows directory and on reboot heard 2 pop sounds- but still got the BSOD. Then I added the  minfilecache,maxfilecache=8192 and rebooted.  No more BSOD and the Welcome sound played at full volume. I grinned like a kid at Christmas at this point. That's all I have time for today, but thanks for all your hard work.  I'll try to look into the volume control another time as I read you got that working.   

Great, glad to hear of another success!
:thumbup
Waveout.exe is the volume control program.
You can set the left and right levels with the two sliders on the right hand side of the window, after you've clicked the button at the top to load the device information.
The sliders aren't ganged together, but you can easily check the balance is correct as the left and right level parameters are displayed.
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as post has appeared on a new page

@Dave-H: Hereby version 202. If you want an Analog Audio input: enabling last line is mandatory. Further: you can choose out of five channels. I guess you have to enable Line2. Instructions are included in the file.

Dave-H_ALC883_Hdaicout.hda.202

@farfigs11: Thanks for testing, nice that minfilecache=8192 and maxfilecache=8192 worked for you. If you attach HDACFG.INI and HDALOG.TXT I can take a look at your basic settings.

On 4/23/2019 at 2:44 AM, deomsh said:

Is it possible to attach the saved xml, so a can take a closer look? Mine is 389KB (File -> Save Working Codec as -> STAC9921.xml).

@UCyborg: The XML-file won't open, there is some error dialog in my program (Windows 10). But I compared your codec graph with the Widget Diagrams in the data sheet, All Widgets seem to match.

I can't see how VirtualBox will connect output's from Pin Widgets to your Host's (physical) Audio, but there are four possibilities according to the data sheet.

In the mean time I found out that the Volume Knob needs Verbs different of VolumeWidget one's, so a Volume Knob will probably not work with VolumeWidget setting in HDACFG.INI.

All I can suggest is trying one of the four Output-connected DAC's, they all have a Volume/Mute function. You can try VolumeWidget=$02 / VolumeWidget=$03 / VolumeWidget=$04 or VolumeWidget=$05. Always reboot inbetween.

Edited by deomsh
Typo

16 hours ago, deomsh said:

@Dave-H: Hereby version 202. If you want an Analog Audio input: enabling last line is mandatory. Further: you can choose out of five channels. I guess you have to enable Line2. Instructions are included in the file.

Dave-H_ALC883_Hdaicout.hda.202

@farfigs11: Thanks for testing, nice that minfilecache=8192 and maxfilecache=8192 worked for you. If you attach HDACFG.INI and HDALOG.TXT I can take a look at your basic settings.

Hi again, yes that works fine!
:thumbup
It was Line In 1 that I had to enable to get sound from the capture card, and it works perfectly.
I'm not sure what Line In 2 actually is, there is only one physical line input.
My previous motherboard, which was a X7DAL-E, not an X7DAL-E+, with the AC97 hardware, did have an "Aux" input socket on the board, physically the same as the CD audio input socket, in addition to the Line In jack on the rear, so perhaps that's it in some configuration. The X7DAL-E+ doesn't have that socket though.

VolumeWidget=$0C had to be set in HDAcfg.ini for my system.
Yours may be different of course, but try that and see if waveout.exe then changes the volume (after a reboot of course).

@Dave-H: Nice that Line1 is working. According to your Motherboard manual Line2 is for the HDA front panel (page 2-23). Can probably made working too.

@farfigs11: Thanks for the files! The STAC9200 data sheet mentioned node 0B as Master Volume. Verbs are Standard. Try VolumeWidget=$0B in HDACFG.INI. But are you sure about your codec? HDACFG.INI indicates a different one.

BTW According your HDACFG.INI I don't think your system will accept my version of the "universal" HDAICOUT.HDA. But since you have sound you should try without.

Edited by deomsh
Addition, Typo

@UCyborg: Great! But if Volume Widget=$03, than your sound is coming from DAC1, connected to Pin Widget 0C. If sound is still bad, you can try with OutputWidget=$03 in your HDACFG.INI, although HDAICOUT.HDA should have configured this Widget already.

2 hours ago, deomsh said:

@Dave-H: Nice that Line1 is working. According to your Motherboard manual Line2 is for the HDA front panel (page 2-23). Can problably made working too.

Thanks, I don't have the front panel jacks connected. There are only two on my case anyway, green (presumably for headphones) and red (presumably for a microphone), so a line in wouldn't be possible there anyway without using a non-standard colour jack. Not something I need anyway!

So, are we done?
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

@Dave-H: If you can live with your erratic Sound Mapper we're done. Enyoy the Sound!

BTW: be aware of possible stability issues I mentioned in one of my post's of April, 11

Edited by deomsh

18 hours ago, deomsh said:

Great! But if Volume Widget=$03, than your sound is coming from DAC1, connected to Pin Widget 0C. If sound is still bad, you can try with OutputWidget=$03 in your HDACFG.INI, although HDAICOUT.HDA should have configured this Widget already.

I actually already tried that, but no change.

@UCyborg: I managed to install Win98se in VirtualBox 5.2.6 r120293 (I have 32 bits Windows 10 as a Host). OutputWidget=$03 is working for me too. Volume slider in Media Player functions.

Sound is really bad with HDA, but almost acceptible with HDARUN. If you like to try, set Mytimer=0 in HDACFG.INI. After reboot: Run -> HDARUN. Don't forget to click the LOOP button before playing sound. Afterwards first stop the sound, then click LOOP again before shutting down HDARUN. Extreme low Vcache settings are helpfull against clicking noise in the background, but multitasking is not an option. :roll1:

VirtualBox_MSDOS710.001_Win98SE_ICH9_HDARUN.jpg.9f18ad3ff8a1f88e10ef2fad82db262c.jpg

Edited by deomsh
Adressing

On 4/26/2019 at 12:27 AM, deomsh said:

@Dave-H: If you can live with your erratic Sound Mapper we're done. Enyoy the Sound!

BTW: be aware of possible stability issues I mentioned in one of my post's of April, 11

Pleased to say that  I've had no apparent stability problems.
The "HDA Sound" entry in the Multimedia control panel is still sometimes there and sometimes not there (I'm pretty sure that it is there actually, but appears as a blank unnamed entry) but as long as the sound is always actually working I don't think that's a problem.

Thank you yet again for all your work on this, and I'm pleased to see that others are now experimenting with it too.
Cheers, Dave.