Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware? [Testing thread]

I just tried with the new version of Hdaicout.hda, and -

IT WORKS!!

:cheerleader::thumbup:cheerleader::thumbup:cheerleader:

Thank you so much, I now have sound!
It's a little bit distorted, but not badly so, and there is no control of course, but at last it's there.
Presumably I can alter the volume by adding the appropriate entry in HDAcfg.ini.

Here are the two files you asked for if you need to do more analysis.

HDAICIN.TXT

HDALOG.TXT

The "HDA Sound" entry in the Multimedia control panel item is still sometimes missing, with a blank entry instead, but even when it's blank the sound still works.
:yes:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
:worship:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Thanks, I will try that later on.
I did try changing PCM=$FFFFFFFF to PCM=$AAAAAAAA in the [volume] section of HDACFG.INI and it didn't seem to make any difference to the sound level.
Do I need to change anything else as well?
:dubbio:

On 4/1/2019 at 11:18 PM, deomsh said:

@UCyborg: I virtually do not know anything about VirtualBox, but I am deeply impressed that the Win3.x-16 bit driver connects to your somehow virtual HD Audio. Thanks for testing, I am happy too that my INF-file and my version of Watler's HDAICOUT.HDA are working as intended! 

Choppy audio with this driver can be an IRQ-issue (is told me). So try to change the IRQ from the "High Definition Audio Controller" to a free one, if that's a simple configuration issue. :whistle:

About your question regarding the volume setting:

1. WAVEOUT.EXE needs the right VolumeWidget in HDACFG.INI. Mine is $02. You can found yours in the datasheet of your (virtual) codec.
  2. Volume can be written manually in HDACFG.INI, is set after reboot ( needs the right VolumeWidget too).
  3. Use an application with volume control (not there in Win3.x as far is I know, works in Win9x only). HDA Sound (WaveOut) needs the right VolumeWidget too, DirectSound: HDA Sound (emulation) strange enough not. The picture will answer your last question.

Is this the post you were referring to?
I tried changing VolumeWidget=$14 to VolumeWidget=$0C, and there was no sound at all!
:no:

Edited by Dave-H

@Dave-H: Yes.

According to the ALC883 data sheet 0C should be the Volume Widget all jack's are connected to. Please check if one of the other jack's of your back-panel gives sound, just for testing purposes.

Is PCM=$FFFFFFFF in HDACFG.INI?

Did you try WAVEOUT.EXE? It's included in HDADRV9j.7z. If you click the waveOutGetDevs-button you should see the same as in my picture in the post I mentioned.

I was just testing the Volume Widget of my ALC662 codec: mine is according to the data sheet, is working with WAVEOUT and is independent of settings in HDAICOUT.HDA.

Try playing a MP3 with Windows' standard mediaplayer too, and check if the volume slider is working.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:44 PM, ABCDEFG said:

Volume control ¬

volumecontrol.PNG.f8de773bd5c71a8308a08fbc35e824bb.PNG

Strange, I just tried again changing VolumeWidget=$0C and it worked!
I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but it seems to be OK now, and I can control the level.
BTW is the above graphic posted by @ABCDEFG on April 2nd actually correct?
My testing indicated that it's the first four characters that control the left volume, and the last four that control the right volume, which is actually more what I would expect.
The Windows Media Player volume control works fine.
It was actually rather good to remind myself that I can play MP4 HD videos on Windows 98 with it, thanks to K-Lite, and they look and sound great, even in full screen!
There's a bit of a delay with a series of pops from the speakers before anything plays, but I guess that's normal.

So, the only outstanding anomaly is that the "HDA Sound" entry doesn't "stick" in the "Multimedia" Control Panel applet.
When it's not there, I can't use the test facility on the "Sounds" applet, the test play button is greyed out, although the sound is actually working.
The way to get it back, which is still very hit or miss, is to go to the "Devices" tab on the Multimedia applet, open up the HD audio entry, click on settings, and click OK in the settings box.
This usually, but not always, returns the HDA Sound entry in the playback devices, after closing the applet and reopening it. Very strange!

Anyway, I now have sound on Windows 98 with HD Audio hardware, and for that I'm extremely grateful.
Yet again this forum has proved that what was thought to be impossible, is in fact completely possible!
:worship:

@Dave-H: Good news.

About the PCM-values: @ABCDEFG is right. You can check HDACFG.INI. After changing one slider of WAVEOUT the PCM-value will be updated in HDACFG.INI (definitely after clicking the Button). There is no need to edit the value. Last volume setting is saved, should be still there after reboot. Please check on your system.

Delays and pops: fully normal. 

You are still using a (modified) 'universal' HDAICOUT.HDA. I am working on an ALC883-version. The file will be ready in a few days. Some Verbs I want to use are a bit complex.

Are you still using HDARUN with Mytimer=0, or is Mytimer=1 working too? Sound quality should be a better without use of HDARUN.

Edited by deomsh

Thanks, rather stupidly I hadn't realised that waveout.exe is a program for changing the volume, much more convenient than editing the ini file! :blushing:
Does it need any of the *.dpr, *.opt, *.res, *.dfm, or *.pas files that are in the installation folder with it?
It seems to work fine without them.
Also, what is the item marked with the arrow?

Image1.jpg.7214968d4a6c5f2a28fb25110db0a820.jpg

Is it something to do with having multiple devices?

I'm still slightly confused about the graphic that ABCDEFG posted.
If I set Left : 65280, Right : 0 I get 0000FF00.
If I set Left : 0, Right : 65280 I get FF000000.
The graphic says the channel levels can go to FFFF, but FF00 seems to be the actual maximum, which is 65280 in decimal.
Not a worry, but I'm puzzled!
:lol:

@Dave-H: Only WAVEOUT.EXE is needed, other files are the source code (16-bits Delphi).

I don't know how @ABCDEFG made his picture, but your observations are right, only first two digits of four are changed by moving a slider of WAVEOUT. Actually there are 255 steps of 256. Your codec's Volume Widget has only 127 steps (7F in Verb 20C3B07F).

No idea what the box is ment for you marked with an arrow. Only "0" ist working.

It is sad there is no possibility to direct WAVEOUT directly to different Volume Widgets. I wrote once a HDAICOUT.HDA to listen Analog Audio CD, redirected through the codec to my Output Pin Widget. I only could use AHDA17O to set the Audio CD volume by sending appropiate Verbs, for Digital Audio I could use the Volume Control of - say - Mediaplayer. Luckily my headphone has Volume Control.

Edited by deomsh
Correction, typo

36 minutes ago, deomsh said:

@Dave-H: Only WAVEOUT.EXE is needed, other files are the source code (16-bits Delphi).

I don't know how @ABCDEFG made his picture, but your observations are right, only first two digits of four are changed by moving a slider of WAVEOUT. Actually there are 255 steps of 256. Your codec's Volume Widget has only 127 steps (7F in Verb 20C3B07F).

No idea what the box is ment for you marked with an arrow. Only "0" ist working. 

It is sad there is no possibility to direct WAVEOUT directly to different Volume Widgets. I wrote once a HDAICOUT.HDA to listen Analog Audio CD, redirected through the codec to my Output Pin Widget. I could use WAVEOUT to set the Audio CD volume after changing the Volume Widget in HDACFG.INI, but for Digital Audio I had to use the Volume Control of - say - Mediaplayer. Luckily my headphone has Volume Control.

Thanks again!
The only reason I asked about the files in the folder with WAVEOUT.EXE was because I'm making up a zip installation package for this in case I ever have to install it again, and I wanted to make sure that I did have all the necessary files included.
:)

14 hours ago, deomsh said:

@dencorso: Thanks. Don't forget Watler made the Win3.x driver! I did only some minor things. -_-

Credit, where credit's due, of course. But bear in mind you've studied the driver and the hardware till it made sense for you, and then you brought that to the community, and performed an impressive troubleshooting, together with @Dave-H: the persistence and patience both of you demonstrated is paradigmal of how it ought to be done, and fully deserving of the successful results reached. Of course the driver is important, but the whole process illustrated in this thread actually is just as much important as the driver itself. :cheerleader: