Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware? [Testing thread]

Thanks. I actually use ERUNT on Windows XP and Windows 10, and have done for years, but I've always relied on Windows 98's own registry backup system.

Anyway, I followed your suggestions, added a MaxPhysPage entry to system.ini to limit the RAM, removed HDATSR.EXE from autoexec.bat, and changed the entries in the [BUSMASTER] section in HDACFG.INI to the ones you specified.

Unfortunately I got the registry access error again.
I reinstated HDATSR.EXE in autoexec.bat, and the system now boots properly, and the sound works!
:thumbup
So, it looks as if HDATSR.EXE is necessary.
I'm very happy with that, but it would be nice to have my 3GB of RAM back again if it's possible!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

Hmm :dubbio:

This is a strange result, HDATSR.EXE should not be necessary with the trick described above.

Can you please upload HDACFG.INI, so I can take a look what is going on? So your last working version WITH HDATSR.EXE.

Thanks for mentioning ERUNT, I will search for this program for my WIN10 installation. I do no special things on WIN10, but I make periodically a sector-to-sector copy of my WIN10-disk (I gave up using bootmanagers - I use just F11, my BIOS key to select disks. If I experiment with WIN98SE, I even pull out the cable of my WIN10-disk).

Further: which SCANREG-version was active? The MS-DOS or the Windows version? 

I have only ever used the DOS version of SCANREG for recovery purposes.
SCANREGW only does manual backups as far as I can see, and just out of habit I tend to access it through the Tools menu on the System Information program.

Do use ERUNT if you can, it's saved my bacon on many occasions when I've messed up editing the registry!
I have it set to replicate what SCANREG does on Windows 98, that is to say back up the registry on the first boot of every day, and keep a maximum of five backups.

Anyway, I have confirmed that HDATSR is necessary on my system as it is presently configured.
Not loading it results in the registry access error.

I've attached my HDACFG.INI file. I simply commented out the original values in the [BUSMASTER] section, and added your new ones.
Thanks for all your help yet again!
Cheers, Dave.
HDAcfg.ini

Thanks for info.

About SCANREG/ SCANREGW: if using experimental drivers in my experience it is important to add to MSDOS.SYS the line SystemReg=0

As you can see your new entries are overwritten by the TSR (line 'TSR=TSR Found' in HDACFG.INI !).

So next try higher values of MaxPhysPage (WITH HDATSR.EXE active).

Best start with MaxPhysPage=40000 and then always 10000 higher (10000=256MB), up to 3 x 40000 = C0000 in hex.

Full reboot in between!

Edited by deomsh
Correction

What does SystemReg=0 in MSDOS.SYS do?

I hadn't noticed that the new entries in HDACFG.INI had been reverted to as they were before!
That may well be because I booted the system with HDATSR.EXE still active by accident the first time after I changed them.
Should I try again with your new settings making sure that HDATSR.EXE doesn't run this time?

I have experimented going up to MaxPhysPage=80000, which gives me 2GB of RAM, and still works as it is.

If your system is okay with HDATSR.EXE and *some* MaxPhysPage setting, better use these settings together. I vaguely remember RLOEW said *somewhere* that occasionally a high setting of  MaxPhysPage is needed with his memory patch.

Of course you can stop experimenting at MaxPhysPage=80000, but it would of interest to the community to go as high as possible, so around max  C0000

SystemReg=0 disables SCANREG.EXE during Windows' boot. See https://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm

Ah right, thanks.
So SystemReg=0 simply stops the registry being scanned on boot. I thought it might stop it being backed up.
I'll have to think about adding that to my MSDOS.SYS as that seems to be recommended.

I will carry on increasing the MaxPhysPage setting to see when it fails.
I'll let you know how high I can go!
:D

OK, a bit more mystery!

I took the MaxPhysPage entry right up to 11000, which was still fine and gave me 3070MB declared in System Properties.
I then went up to 12000, which was still OK and still gave 3070MB.

So, I guess that's as high as it can go!
Why it is still working now at that level I have no idea, I can only suggest that the problem was actually having no MaxPhysPage entry at all in system.ini, not the level of it.
Anyway, it's working now with my full previous RAM allocation apparently back, so as long as it's stable I don't see that there's anything else to do.
:dubbio:

It's strange, but if it is working on your system... :thumbup

But 3GB is still C0000, so better use this value for MaxPhysPage. :yes:

Maybe you can found *something* in the documentation of RLOEW's memory patch. :dubbio:

Edited by deomsh
Typo

5 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Correct me if I am wrong. 40000 hex converted to dec then times 4096 gives 1GB.

No correction needed, you are right. :)

I said earlier: each 10000 MaxPhysPage stands for 256MB Window's memory. I prefer memorizable and usable units

And 3 x 4 x 10000 is C0000 in hex.

One Page = 4KB

https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Specifying_Amount_of_RAM_Available_to_Windows_Using_MaxPhysPage

BTW 10000h x 4  = 

Screenshot_20211129-144108.thumb.png.7f7775d71e5a72b9afae3ac2a6241010.png

Edited by deomsh
Correction

Is it C000 or C0000?
I'm assuming the latter, I guess C000 was the typo?
:dubbio:
Anyway, I'm using MaxPhysPage=C0000 now, and all seems to be fine.
I'll let you know if I have any further issues, thanks very much for all your help with this as always.
Cheers, Dave.

• 1 year later...

Well i installed hdatsr as the instructions said.

* copied hdatsr.exe, hda2.dll and waveout.exe to c:\windows, added to autoexec.bat
* added entry to system.ini with wavehda=hda2.dll under [drivers]
* installed via hardware detection assistant the oemsetup.inf file, hda2 device appears in sound settings
* copied one of the hdaicout.hda files to c:\windows

tried few of the hdaicout.hda files in this topic, still didnt worked. no clicking, no sound. then i got curious and looked into the hdatsr.ini. hdatsr seems toi have found *two* hd audio adapters, which could be right since this notebook have indeed two graphic cards (nvidia and intel integrated). i attached the hdatsr.ini, hdaicin.txt and hdaicout.hda i used. maybe someone have a idea what to do. i mean the hdaicin.txt isnt really empty. the settings of the audio hda device in windows 98 shows the screen with the DMA Address, but other than that i'm a bit of a loss here..

the hdarun if i try to let it show to me the addresses show me some. but i dont really know what to do with it, since i dont think that the entries would differ much of that which is in the hdaicout or hdacfg.ini.. so im not sure what to do now ^^

HDAcfg.ini HDAICIN.TXT Hdaicout.hda