Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware? [Testing thread]

Tried changing the system.ini entry, but no difference I'm afraid.
:no:
Should there be an entry for this in the Device Manager "Sound, video and game controllers" section?
:dubbio:

Yes, there MUST be an entrance in that section.

Maybe the HD Audio Controller of your chipset is not supported by HDA2.DLL. Please give me the VEN/DEV-ID, search in Registry -> HKLM -> ENUM (or use Device Manager of WIN10/XP).

BTW this has nothing to do with the ID of your codec.

Edited by deomsh
Typo

Just now, deomsh said:

Yes, there MUST be an entrance in that section.

Nothing appears on my end under Sound, video and game controllers, but High Definition Audio Controller is added under System devices. Testing with Windows 95 on VirtualBox with Intel HD Audio. It does give choppy audio after putting HDAICOUT.HDA in place and also "HDA Audio" appears in Multimedia properties, but volume can't be controlled there.

16-bit Windows 3.1 driver on Windows 9x strikes me more as an emergency solution rather than anything else.

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

16-bit Windows 3.1 driver on Windows 9x strikes me more as an emergency solution rather than anything else.

Here it falls into the category of "ONLY solution" for those who want to use HDA devices. :}
Of course one can use add-on cards, but this makes for redundancy in any multiboot setup.

Unless of course you can find a copy of the "IHV Enabling Kit" I mentioned or some Windows HDA driver source code... something we can use to develop a better solution.

@UCyborg Nice that the driver is working in  VirtualBox, I have only tested on real hardware. I do not think you have to use HDA.

Please can you upload a picture of your "Multimedia properties"?

About using this driver in Windows 95: did you install a PCI-bus? 

Volume control can be done in a number of ways. Do you need some advice? I can try to help if you like :rolleyes:

@Dave-H Sorry, I didn't ment the section "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager. I ment "Sounds and Audio Devices" / "Multimedia" as part of Control Panel (I googled for the right terms for English Win98). My original term "Multimedia properties" was good, it seems to me now :no: 

So: Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices OR Multimedia -> (gives) Multimedia properties -> Devices -> (gives) Multimedia Drivers -> Audio Devices.

Edited by deomsh
Corrections

Understood.
The driver is listed.

Image1.thumb.jpg.60da3aecab08ede6fa4ba81526c87266.jpg

The small window is what pops up when you select its settings.

After dismissing that, it then appears as an option as a playback device.

Image2.thumb.jpg.c5342fe897c6868466ba580d046b9b07.jpg

Unfortunately, selecting it doesn't work, there is still no sound, and on a reboot it disappears as an option again, and as before there is only one option in the dropdown to select playback devices, and it's blank.
:(

The device ID is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_269A&SUBSYS_948015D9&REV_09.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Thanks.

The memory address looks normal if using HDATSR. The ICH10 will be not your controller, but that does'nt matter.

I will search for your HD Audio Controller and I will take a look in the source code. Will take some time.

In the meantime you can search in your Windows directory for HDACFG.INI. If the file exists, please make a full copy in your reply. 

Further I will need a full MEM-report. Please open a Command-prompt and enter MEM /A /D > HDADAVEH.TXT Ad this - much bigger - file as an attachment.

2 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Here it falls into the category of "ONLY solution" for those who want to use HDA devices. :}

That's true, I just assumed the possibility of using a different sound card when I said that.

2 hours ago, deomsh said:

@UCyborg Nice that the driver is working in  VirtualBox, I have only tested on real hardware. I do not think you have to use HDA.

No, there's also AC97 and SoundBlaster 16 in VirtualBox, the point is just to see the HDA in action.

2 hours ago, deomsh said:

Please can you upload a picture of your "Multimedia properties"?

Oops, I wrote "HDA Audio" in my previous post when I really meant "HDA Sound".0DtZvJo.png

Advanced tab was renamed to Devices on Windows 98. There, the audio driver appears like on Dave-H's screenshot.

3 hours ago, deomsh said:

About using this driver in Windows 95: did you install a PCI-bus?

Not that I know of. It appears under System devices. I wonder if choppy audio under VirtualBox with HDA is just a simple configuration issue. AC97 works OK.

3 hours ago, deomsh said:

Volume control can be done in a number of ways. Do you need some advice? I can try to help if you like :rolleyes:

I only know about the volume application that comes with the driver. Its Readme only says it may not work on some computers. And it really doesn't on that virtual computer. I see there's the volume setting in HDAcfg.ini at the end. How to interpret the value?

@UCyborg: I virtually do not know anything about VirtualBox, but I am deeply impressed that the Win3.x-16 bit driver connects to your somehow virtual HD Audio. Thanks for testing, I am happy too that my INF-file and my version of Watler's HDAICOUT.HDA are working as intended! 

Choppy audio with this driver can be an IRQ-issue (is told me). So try to change the IRQ from the "High Definition Audio Controller" to a free one, if that's a simple configuration issue. :whistle:

About your question regarding the volume setting:

1. WAVEOUT.EXE needs the right VolumeWidget in HDACFG.INI. Mine is $02. You can found yours in the datasheet of your (virtual) codec.
  2. Volume can be written manually in HDACFG.INI, is set after reboot ( needs the right VolumeWidget too).
  3. Use an application with volume control (not there in Win3.x as far is I know, works in Win9x only). HDA Sound (WaveOut) needs the right VolumeWidget too, DirectSound: HDA Sound (emulation) strange enough not. The picture will answer your last question.

HDA16_Volume_small.jpg.b6a9de835f61c70e154db69c8d51573c.jpg

Edited by deomsh
addition

On 3/31/2019 at 11:44 PM, deomsh said:

Thanks.

The memory address looks normal if using HDATSR. The ICH10 will be not your controller, but that does'nt matter.

I will search for your HD Audio Controller and I will take a look in the source code. Will take some time.

In the meantime you can search in your Windows directory for HDACFG.INI. If the file exists, please make a full copy in your reply. 

Further I will need a full MEM-report. Please open a Command-prompt and enter MEM /A /D > HDADAVEH.TXT Ad this - much bigger - file as an attachment.

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy today!
The contents of my HDACFG.INI file are here -

[ALLHDA]
$00D8=$269A8086
$0101=$0BE910DE

[HDA]
TSR=TSR Found
PCI_VID=$8086
PCI_DID=$269A

[BUSMASTER]
myPCIHI=$0012
myPCILO=$1000
myPCI=$00121000
aPCIHI=$0011
aPCILO=$1000
aPCI=$00111000

[HDA_269A8086,948015D9]
cardmemregistersLO=$0000
cardmemregistersHI=$DE80
Mytimer=1
Verbinterface=$1
wait1=$100
wait2=$100
pcipatchB=$0000
PCI_BUS=$00
PCI_DEVICE=$1B
PCI_FUNCTION=$0
GCAP=$4401
VMIN=$00
VMAJ=$01
GCTL=$0001
CODEC BITMAP=00000100
CODEC Index=$2
CODEC_VID=$10EC
CODEC_DID=$0883
CODEC_REV=$100002
CODEC_NODEINFO=$010001
CODEC_AFG_GPIO_CAP=$40000002
CODEC_AFG_SUBSYSTEM_ID=$15D99480
CODEC_AFG_PM_SUPPORT=$0F
CODEC_AFG_PCM_DEFINITION=$E0560
CODEC_AFG_F000B=$01
SleepingWidget=$02
VolumeWidget=$14
OutputWidget=$02

[Volume]
PCM=$FFFFFFFF

I've attached the memory file you asked for too.
I hope this gives some clue as to what's going on!
Cheers, Dave.
:)
HDADAVEH.TXT

@Dave-H: MEM looks good, nothing special and Conventional memory only.

Your HDACFG.INI gives codec information, so the driver can send/ receive some Verbs (through the HD Audio controller) to/ from your codec.

For now I have following ideas:

1) to be sure, check in your bios if everything regarding HD Audio is enabled (not auto, if there is a choice). Your chipset should be somehow capable of ac'97 too. If you find something like that, please disable.

2) Set your VolumeWidget=$0C (according to alc883-datasheet). Don't think that will make any difference now, but try with a reboot.

3)  Verbinterface=$0 is the easiest option, if not succesfull reset to $1 please.

Thanks, I tried changing both those options in HDACFG.INI, but still not a peep of sound.
:no:
I guess the driver just isn't talking to the hardware.
There are no audio related entries in the BIOS.
:)

@Dave-H : The driver is definitely talking to your hardware since CODEC information is received from your hardware. But there is a difference between sending/ receiving Verbs through one of the two possible Verb-interfaces and starting/ sending a continues (PCM-) audio stream. In my opinion (but I may be mistaken) it can be related to the handling of the PCI-memory address on your system in relation to how your chipsets HD Audio Controller is programmed. The reset after reboot of the option in the dropdown menu to select playback devices you described earlier is what bothers me in this respect.

Are you sure there is no conflict in the properties of your High Definition Audio Controller in Device Manager? Please deliver the memory address.