Browsing the web on 98/ME in 2019 and beyond

Destro

Latest Babelmap (and Babelpad) works fine with KernelEX and is the best (only?) tool to manage your font folder Unicode coverage.

Opera 12 won't support newest Unicode planes (not sure which is the last supported version and maybe this is down to which uniscribe version it uses) but if you've got the fonts supporting those installed then you can always copy the text with missing characters and paste it in Babelpad to see what it's about.

Edited by loblo

BTW, if you want to visit Sourceforge with Opera 12 without using an online proxy you can install Burp Suite Community Edition proxy which requires at least JRE 7 with Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength installed.

I have all TTFs installed that came with win7. My largest TTF is ArialUni.ttf at 22.7 MB came from XP. All fonts are referenced/installed into registry that are in the font folder. FONs are shown as active in MSinfo but TTFs are not shown as active. Collection fonts TTCs have no assignment in registry and not written into the shell32.dll as far as I know and therefore not compatible. Charmap.exe tick advanced view, character set unicode, and if viewing Microsoft YaHei for example the last character is U+FFEE: Halfwidth White Circle.

I have moved this section to a more related topic here.

I tried installing Burp using the exe and it baulked at installing JRE1.8, error in msvcr100, acknowledging this the installation then continues and finishes. It runs with JRE1.6_31 JVM, the install directory of Burp JRE can be deleted. I could not get JRE1.7 set as a system runtime but I have had it installed as a user runtime. After installing Burp 1.7.06 my Opera profile was set to original startup settings. vs 1.7.32 can be installed directly from the exe, later vs needs to be copied across from other OS. Latest vs still works with Java 1.6. jce_policy-6.zip will be for JRE1.6. Works with KEX4.5.2 but not latest KEX18. The proxy port 8080 when used in browser has certificate errors,  "The presented certificate has an unknown Certificate Authority". What do I do?

Latest BabelPad did not open any files (from file open menu) in my font folder, no comparison to WinMerge. BabelMap win9x version is a font program WinMerge is a file comparison program and I find it very useful. I could not get BabelMap to show characters of single fonts where as Character Map does?

I can use/post/edit on Facebook with my ME system with Opera 12.02.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Moved unrelated information

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, Dave-H said:

Opera 12 does have a custom user-agent spoofer, it always had to because so many sites didn't acknowledge it!
Right click>Edit site preferences>Network tab. Set Browser identification.
The default strings offered are very out of date as you can imagine, but it's possible to have whatever string you want by manually editing the site's entry in the override.ini file.
:)

I never realized you could do that. I set to "identify as internet explorer" and now I can view some youtube videos.  Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  Bookmarking a video will not let me watch it but if i seach for the exact video sometimes it will play.  I couldn't find the override.ini

On 12 May 2019 at 6:19 AM, Goodmaneuver said:

I have all TTFs installed that came with win7. My largest TTF is ArialUni.ttf at 22.7 MB came from XP. All fonts are referenced/installed into registry that are in the font folder. FONs are shown as active in MSinfo but TTFs are not shown as active. Collection fonts TTCs have no assignment in registry and not written into the shell32.dll as far as I know and therefore not compatible. Charmap.exe tick advanced view, character set unicode, and if viewing Microsoft YaHei for example the last character is U+FFEE: Halfwidth White Circle

Old machines were good at driving 5 1/4 floppy drives.  With Pentium 111 the KB access times had to be set to 6 stokes per second or less if BIOS had adjustment. This slowed down access to floppy drive so that 5 1/4  had a chance. I installed a 5 1/4 at the end of a long floppy cable and a 3 1/2 in the middle named A and B drives. The drive on the middle connection run at twice the access times as the 5 1/4 one at the end so the 3 1/2 had to be a good one, 2002+ models.

I tried installing Burp using the exe and it baulked at installing JRE1.8, error in msvcr100, acknowledging this the installation then continues and finishes. It runs with JRE1.6_31 JVM, the install directory of Burp JRE can be deleted. I could not get JRE1.7 set as a system runtime but I have had it installed as a user runtime. After installing Burp 1.7.06 my Opera profile was set to original startup settings. vs 1.7.32 can be installed directly from the exe, later vs needs to be copied across from other OS. Latest vs still works with Java 1.6. jce_policy-6.zip will be for JRE1.6. Works with KEX4.5.2 but not latest KEX18. The proxy port 8080 when used in browser has certificate errors,  "The presented certificate has an unknown Certificate Authority". What do I do?

Latest BabelPad did not open any files (from file open menu) in my font folder, no comparison to WinMerge. BabelMap win9x version is a font program WinMerge is a file comparison program and I find it very useful. I could not get BabelMap to show characters of single fonts where as Character Map does?

I can use/post/edit on Facebook with my ME system with Opera 12.02.

@Goodmaneuver you need to generate a certificate in Burp and then import it in Opera and any other program you want to use the https proxy with.

Not too sure what you try to do with Babelpad but if you want to see installed fonts with it you need to use Tools/Character Map from the menu bar. You can also see them with Fonts/Composite Font Mapping. File open menu is for opening documents not fonts.

If you want to see characters of single fonts in BabelMap (or character map of BabelPad) you also need to be in single font mode and select the font you want to view through the drop down selection box.

Edited by loblo

BabelPad is OK as you have explained using character map, but BabelMap win9x version and BabelPad did not show font characters using single font mode, this is not important just pointing out the phenomenon.

Does the professional version of Burp need purchasing to make the certificate? As it stands without Pro vs, it works with CometBird but has no real added benefit. I have to accept all certificates (these are Swigger ones) with Opera to get Opera to work. SourceForge.net has got this Burp error 'Received fatal alert: protocol_version'. The HTTP://Burp/ home page does not open with Opera or CometBird? Also after using Burp in Opera and after a reboot the scanregw.exe thinks there is a registry error and chooses to install the previous reg save which was prior to using Burp in Opera and then is OK again. Tried this twice.

I have found that the one character save from Word and Excel stemmed from riched20.dll not working properly. I was using riched20.dll Office 10 version which works on my other HDD (a previous build). I found that it came down to KEX reg settings and if various modes are chosen then it is best to select 'do not use in child process' even for DLLs. The error occurred after taking off the do not use in child mode. I have UNICOWS.DLL as 'disabled' and 'do not use in child process' in the KEX folder as a known DLL.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

No need for Burp Pro, You export the certificate from Burp under Tab Proxy/Tab Options/Proxy Listeners and then import it in Opera under Preferences/Security/Manage Certificates.  All will go seamlessly then.

Burp sometimes corrupts the registry indeed. Fix it by deleting  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs key but you'll loose whatever Burp settings you have including the automatically generated  certificate. You might want to export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\burp when it's not corrupted and merge it if you need as to avoid having to export/import certificate again and again.

I have no Burp errors with Sourceforge.

Goodmaneuver said:

BabelPad is OK as you have explained using character map, but BabelMap win9x version and BabelPad did not show font characters

Your mistake is to use the 9x version (=no unicode), which is extremely old and outdated. Just use the modern one in all systems.

I had to import a DER format certificate into Authorities and a P12 format certificate into Personal certificate tab for Opera. This fixed the need for manual acceptance of certificates but Opera's security is restricted to TLS1.0. TLS1.2 only web sites are resetting connection or bringing up the 'Received fatal alert: protocol_version'. Java's 1.6_31 security is dated 2005 which is before TLS1.2. If checking MSFN via Opera info, the security using Burp is TLS v1.0 256 bit AES (2048 bit RSA/SHA). Perhaps JRE 1.8 JVM needs to be used as the security folder files would be dated after TLS1.2?

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I am using JRE7, it supports TLS 1.2 as there is no difference between connecting to MSFN with or without Burp, both uses TLS v1.2 256 bit AES (2048 bit RSA/SHA). If JRE6 doesn't support TLS 1.2, then Burp obviously can't work on websites that have deprecated lower TLS versions completely as it relies 100% on Java cryptography.

Yes I can install a very early version of JRE7 and then get security from newer JRE7 folder perhaps? I do not know how to make JRE7 the default system runtime though, as the full installation stops before registration from memory, perhaps I should get the reg settings from newer OS? The scanregw error: perhaps an earlier Burp version could be used since the proxy security is taken from JRE?

I've made a post or some posts somewhere on here on how to unpack JREs as it's a bit involved. Once this is done you can just launch Burp with the unpacked JRE using an appropriate batch file or shortcut, "javaw.exe -jar burp.jar" in its simplest form without paths.