Browsing the web on 98/ME in 2019 and beyond

Destro

I did the update before YouTube videos stopped playing and Opera was working fine but did stop before CometBird so I might be wrong but it would have been the first thing I checked at the time after doing the update? I have written the date YouTube stopped in MSFN somewhere unless I edited out. I think it was November 17. Dav-H could you show the URL address of a video or 2 that works with the 12.02 gstreamer and did you use the original gstreamer.dll or 12.18? I know that flash still works with 12.18 check that gstreamer files are the ones that are used or flash. Speed Dial has to go through for eg redir.opera.com/speeddials/accuweather for place holders other wise the place holder displays the web site that is in an non shrunken state. Once going through redir.opera.com, Speed Dial looks OK but place mat size should be within the border I think, move mouse cursor over place mat to see what I mean. If we look at the latest Opera Speed Dial it just uses icons. Speed Dial is definitely a local page as the place holders have to updated manually or auto timed to update.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
rephrased sentence

In settings; preferences; security; advanced; security protocols. Desktop version as in the short cut on page 1 move up a level on the web page. Opera mini and mobile are not compatible. Unless you can get the portable version of 12.02 then it will not work I believe. Have to install Opera_1100_int_Setup.msi first, then make sure you choose your directory of choice and tick use as default browser. The setup will baulk at not having ouniansi.dll but it doesn't matter and does not use it. Once installed and established reboot etcetera, then install 12.02 in the same directory/update as 11 but it is important that the default browser is ticked again as it does not work until ticked with 12.02. So custom install here too. Opera_1100_int_Setup.msi was the original setup file I believe. Install and run 12.02 with KernelEx NT2K settings.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
error

17 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

I did the update before the denial of video playback on YouTube and Opera was working fine but did stop before CometBird so I might be wrong but it would have been the first thing I checked at the time after doing the update? I have written the date YouTube stopped in MSFN somewhere unless I edited out. I think it was November 17. Dav-H could you show the URL address of a video or 2 that works with the 12.02 gstreamer and did you use the original gstreamer.dll or 12.18? I know that flash still works with 12.18 check that gstreamer files are the ones that are used or flash. Speed Dial has to go through for eg redir.opera.com/speeddials/accuweather for place holders other wise the place holder displays the web site that is in an non shrunken state. Once going through redir.opera.com, Speed Dial looks OK but place mat size should be within the border I think, move mouse cursor over place mat to see what I mean. If we look at the latest Opera Speed Dial it just uses icons. Speed Dial is definitely a local page as the place holders have to updated manually or auto timed to update.

The gsreamer.dll doesn't seem to have any version information, but the one I'm using, from Opera 12.02, is dated 3rd August 2012.
The one from 12.18, which I still have installed on XP, is from 16th February 2016.
These two videos I have had playing, but it's very inconsistent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb0Ih0pxV1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27qp189oiFo
I can click on a video and it won't play, then click on another which will, and then try the first one again and it will play!
Very strange.
The ones which play first show an icon in the centre which is a white ring with a gap at the bottom.
Right clicking on them produces the normal HTML5 menu, so I don't think they're using Flash.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

9 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Okay, what are the instructions to fixing TLS 1.2 on Opera 12.02? Which files must be replaced? Does this work on the portable version? Just tried doing this and it didn't work. Please tell me all the steps!

Last time I've used Opera 12 on 98SE, I used this guide:

http://matejhorvat.si/en/unfiled/opera12.htm

AFAIK: https://www.howsmyssl.com/ seemed happy after that.

Edited by MrMateczko

Dave-H, I can only get the TV snow delivery, it is of good frame rate though mainly due to settings as mentioned here . Your YouTube results might be delicate though in that a system setting change may produce similar results as mine? When you click on a video do you get TV snow at any stage, if not, you can play YouTube videos. This is indeed a major achievement.

There is doubt about https://www.howsmyssl.com/   as if you turn off TLS 1.0 then the results are the same. It also suggests TLS 1.2 is the best but doesn't TLS 1.3 continually change the key (I don't really know)? If you push your date of your system back a day with TLS 1.0 unticked then HowIsMySSL web site is unreachable because of the handshaking certificate time differences. Use the drop down to view why showing the details. If you then tick TLS1.0 with the time out a day then the site is reachable again. If I turn off all 128 bit encryptions as they say then their site is unreachable and MSFN does not work properly. Not all data on web pages must have the same encryption I have to have most 128 bit cyphers selected for some sites. When I check MSFN with Opera Info it says I am using  TLS v1.2 256 bit AES (2048 bit DHE_RSA/SHA-256) The system key limiter file is not loaded. WinME was quite safe as all ports were closed where as Win2K Pro had many ports open and I had to use Port Blocker to make usable back in the day. The days of dial-up had no router, just modem. Here is a good port checking site. It has Opera green security lock www.grc.com

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I do get the "snow" with the "no formats supported" message sometimes, but when I try another video it usually plays.
Here is an example -

Image1.thumb.jpg.48d2f3bd3d187a327f47707795a9f78c.jpg

:yes:

How much of a "major achievement" that is I don't know!

:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

I think it is worth investigating why you can where I and others can't. You can see what files are loaded with Code Stuff Starter or Process Explorer. Starter needs psapi.dll replaced with KEX one. Process Explorer v10.2 Sysinternals 10.2 here Win9x/ME one at bottom of page. If Opera works then so should other browsers like CometBird9 as I was viewing with full screen. Right click video twice to bring up CometBirds context menu then play video or something like that then show full screen. It does not show context now as the videos will not play. I found Opera worked faster after installing Mozilla so caution I would have a working backup before altering anything. It used to be every time I changed a system file that was in a in the RAM load eg ImageHlp YouTube knew about it and said your browser is no longer supported. Remember when Edge browser first started up it had to go through the Google server to reach YouTube? www.youtube.com did not work unless www.google.com then search for YouTube first time use then worked from then on.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Some good news, Youtube only works with Opera with new videos, my older music videos will not play tried many times. I thought it was odd as before the player said a year ago approx that it was not supported just yet. It is the webm decoder gstwebmdec.dll streamer file that doesn't work swapped all but webm decoder all is OK. 12.18 2016 gstreamer.dll works for sure. I was sure it was working with the new streamer files before. The other possibility is the most streamed files work. When opening YouTube for me I have to load the first video then click on video on the side line up and then everything is OK auto plays excellently, but soon as I line up an old 2016 video then it I get the TV-snow.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
typo

Most bands so far Test Your Metal www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yctXV3uHBs Crying of the Sun www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKpvzjzCQXg No baulk on starting up now, must have been cache sorting its self out.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Those two videos don't work for me as well, but they actually don't work in Opera 12.18 on Windows XP either!
The HTML5 test sites say that the browser doesn't support H.264/MP4, which is strange because that's what I thought new videos were, and they work but older ones don't!
:dubbio: