Browsing the web on 98/ME in 2019 and beyond

Destro

I used real VNC enterprse 4.4.4 Client To conect to my XP and use a roytam1 browser.  Have clipboard sharing and copy pasta file support its all I need.  Best solution would be have some kinda thin client specifically for that purpose.  lets face it nothing will get developed to even be close to that good.  I have tried the kernelex 18 + kM 74 goanna and it doesn't come close to being acceptable even in a high powered VM.

On 3/24/2019 at 6:52 PM, Destro said:

I used real VNC enterprse 4.4.4 Client To conect to my XP and use a roytam1 browser.  Have clipboard sharing and copy pasta file support its all I need.  Best solution would be have some kinda thin client specifically for that purpose.  lets face it nothing will get developed to even be close to that good.  I have tried the kernelex 18 + kM 74 goanna and it doesn't come close to being acceptable even in a high powered VM.

That's actually damned clever  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have Opera 12.02 on Windows 98 (with KernelEx) and Opera 12.18 on Windows XP on my multi-boot system.
If I copy the Windows XP Opera 12.18 folder to the Windows 98 Opera 12.02 folder, will it work as long as I don't copy opera.dll?
I would be amazed (and delighted) if that's true!
:)

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

OK, I tried this and it seems to be fine, thanks for the tip @Goodmaneuver!
I didn't need to copy the gtreamer folder across, just opera.dll and html5_entity_init.dat.
It seems to be working fine, what might not be OK if I don't copy over the gstreamer folder, just so I know before I delete the 12.02 version?!
:dubbio:

I found out that I copied all files over except keep "html5_entity_init.dat" "c3nform.vxml" "operaprefs_default.ini" and opera.dll. No old additional files were kept except the ones in the Opera root directory. All gstreamer files are new 2016 files. YouTube displays the progress bar preview when mouse is on the bar so it should work if allowed. Opera 12.02 must have had TLS 1.2 as well, in saying that GitHub and other sites work where without 12.18 they don't from what I can recall. I think "html5_entity_init.dat" could be copied from a XP install for example and also the reg settings, will try soon.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Confusion arose from prior build which I had not updated Opera

Do you find that your speed dial images are now too big for their frames, which makes the speed dial look ugly?
They were OK when just using 12.02 as it was.
Not really a problem as they still work OK, but just wondering if this is an intrinsic problem now or whether it can be fixed.
I haven't actually checked out YouTube on the new installation, but I will do that.
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

I did not notice a difference with speed dial until you pointed it out. I was not using it. I have SSL3 unticked in security protocols, perhaps the update is not necessary though wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security says it has ECDSA cert, RC4 disabled, and mitigated FREAK over that of 12.02. The XP install only delivered the reg settings. "html5_entity_init.dat" is the same. GitHub works on 12.02. Mozilla XUL driver is pretty big too and hopefully 12.02 Opera.dll does not inhibit the security settings. Loblo has a point here though and new security settings may not work but I do remember some sites working that didn't before the update a year or so ago (not so sure now but GitHub did stop working for other members too).

Edited by Goodmaneuver

If you're seeing the same problem with the speed dial tiles as I am, that's good in a way, as that means it's not just a problem on my system, and it's probably actually something that can't be fixed.
I can live with it!
:lol:
I tried YouTube and found that no videos would play with the gstreamer folder from 12.18, all just saying they couldn't find any compatible codecs.
When I substituted the folder with the 12.02 version, some videos would then play, but not very well, and lot of jerking and jumping. I guess that's not fixable either, but at least they do play!
I guess that 12.18 relied on codecs from the OS, whereas 12.02 didn't and provided them, itself? :dubbio:
Cheers, Dave.
:)

If SpeedDial is implemented as a local page, we should be able to modify its style sheet.

In Opera 10.63, gstreamer required KernelEx when the rest of the browser didn't. In 12.18 it might also need more help from KernelEx than the rest of the browser. I'll take a look.
It might also be possible to downgrade gstreamer to 11.x or 10.63 for smoother playback.