Browsing the web on 98/ME in 2019 and beyond

Destro

My Firefox 3.6 problem has been solved!
:thumbup

Remember that Firefox 36 vc71-20171108 NewNSS would not run for me, even on XP?
Well, when trying what you suggested, moving the files and folders around, I noticed something.
In the unpacked folders there was a folder called "defualts".
It should of course be called "defaults"!
I corrected the typo, and it now all works fine, including retrieving the downloads from the Trend Micro page!
Who would have believed that it would be something like that?
I've checked the package, and the folder name seems to be OK there, so how it got changed is a complete mystery to me.
I would certainly have had no reason to do it.
:dubbio:
Anyway, all's well that ends well there, I just hope it now keeps working.
I'd still like to get K-Meleon 74 working better though, so I'm happy to carry on experimenting with that.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

On 5/26/2022 at 12:29 AM, Goodmaneuver said:

Select Enable API logging then you open Apilog and just run the program you selected to log. The KernelEx log will then be displayed in the APIlog.exe window. You need to download the APIhook from first page of KernelEx Core Updates https://msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=39308 Rename ApiMon.exe to ApiLog.exe and place both files in a mapped location like the System folder.

I'm looking into this to see if it can diagnose what's happening with the freezing on K-Meleon 74.
It's actually freezing on quite a few sites, not just the Trend Micro download page.

I've downloaded the APIHook folder, and it contains ApiHook.dll and DebugWindow.exe.
There is no file called ApiMon.exe (or ApiLog.exe) on the system anywhere, so I'm now a bit stuck again!

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I've downloaded the APIHook folder, and it contains ApiHook.dll and DebugWindow.exe.
There is no file called ApiMon.exe (or ApiLog.exe) on the system anywhere, so I'm now a bit stuck again!

My bad, I do not know how this happened but rename DebugWindow.exe to ApiLog.exe and place ApiLog.exe and ApiHook.dll in the system folder or other mapped folder and the rest of instructions are correct.

I have checked Trend Micro with CometBird 8 and Wyzo and CometBird 9. They all are able to download from Trend Micro but Wyzo being FF3.6 does not show the download arrow nor More Details field selection. To download with Wyzo I moved the mouse to the download position and the mouse changed color as I had this set up for link select. I would try and step up away from FF3.6 as it will not play GIFs even. The picture is of CometBird 8. If you can follow my directions on page 8 here 2nd post down for the greprefs.zip then it should work out better. You see if the greprefs.js in OMNI.jar does not have the new ciphers listed then even with the new TLS2 files the browser will not post the new ciphers as available to the web site. I explained a bit more further down on page 8 about greprefs. If you are very cautious then you can edit just the cipher part yourself but I tested it on HowsMySSL as explained here back on page 12 but this is out of date and the greprefs has been tested again with the more recent upload. At first there might be a handshake to a web site where there is no cypher overlap response but trying again will fix this in the majority of cases.

Trend-Micro.png

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Added last sentence and clearer picture.

Thanks very much.
I'll let you know how it goes with APILog.
Firefox 3.6 does what I need it to do on a regular basis, but it does display many (most) sites now very badly.
If an alternative has better javascript support for instance, I would certainly seriously consider changing away from FF 3.6.
:yes:

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Firefox 3.6 does what I need it to do on a regular basis, but it does display many (most) sites now very badly.
If an alternative has better javascript support for instance, I would certainly seriously consider changing away from FF 3.6.

IMO besides the nostalgia, a low-performing computer can be a reason to stick with browsers such Firefox 3.6. You know KernelEX offers the possibility to run Firefox 35 and even 52 and forks. For me, browsers like Firefox 3.6 hasn't been a solution for three or four years anymore. As is well known, albeit a little later Opera 12.02 browser also displayed the pages increasingly poorly. You are free to switch. I am currently using almost only Mypal/Palemoon29 on WinME and this works fine for my needs Yes, occasionally I press the "MinimiseMemory" addon button. For SSE only machines you can run e.g. RT's Firefox 45.

7 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

My bad, I do not know how this happened but rename DebugWindow.exe to ApiLog.exe and place ApiLog.exe and ApiHook.dll in the system folder or other mapped folder and the rest of instructions are correct.

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks very much.
I'll let you know how it goes with APILog.

I tried running K-Meleon 74 with the logging enabled.
Unfortunately with the logging enabled it just immediately crashes.

Image1.thumb.jpg.c611383ce4c8bcad841c5f93d4baefd5.jpg

When I tried running it again it still appeared to crash, but was still in the task list, and the log started filling with an enormous number of entries.
I saved it and I've attached it.
Maybe it will provide some clues @jumper?

APILog.txt

Yes, that would make sense.
As I mentioned earlier on, when the program apparently freezes the spinner is still active, but clicking anywhere on the window does nothing.
:)

On 5/28/2022 at 9:54 PM, Dave-H said:

when the program apparently freezes the spinner is still active, but clicking anywhere on the window does nothing.

The spinner rotating means the page is still downloading, If you try a web page that has no ads changing say MSN news, the spinner stops is that correct? If it is correct then check if it the freeze happens only on a secure web site. I got my K-Meleon 74 Ryzen machine to work. It seems some module needs Win2K setting. Prior to this on BASENOHEAP it did not start at all. The other machine AMD FX4170 is the one that did not display text because after revisiting to find out the difference I found I had explorer on legacy base enhancements and KM74 in follower mode. The difference was that explorer was in BASENOHEAP on the Ryzen. Freezing can occur even when navigating through a network drive into deeper and deeper directories. I put it down to the NIC itself. It got better with successfully ending explorer navigation of the network drive without interrupting explorer and restarting machine. I have installed 64 bit drivers to this old AN983B NIC in the Ryzen and operating not good at first seemed to be extraordinarily slow but good now. I know my machine is not perfect as going into WinME safe mode there is some graphic anomaly but it is a bit better. While using ApiLogging the log continuously updates when no mouse movement or web page is altered. KM74 does not exit sweetly according to KM on restarting KM but everything is timing sensitive with my Ryzen PC, for example my PotPlayer version I use in WinME will not exit without triggering an exit error on Win10. EDIT this example is not due to Ryzen computer but is an operating system phenomenon that starts with Win8.1. KM74 does not exit sweetly on FX4170 machine also.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Revisited FX4170 machine to fix no text displaying on KM74.

Yes, the pages hang on a download, but as you say, the spinner is still going.
On pages which do complete, it stops.

I'm not having any luck with RoyTam1's Firefox 45.
Does it actually work on Windows 98, even with KernelEx, or have I misunderstood something here?

Dave, you need to follow instructions on this topic https://msfn.org/board/topic/181424-firefox-24-52-for-me-and-98/#comments carefully. I have the freezing problem and so does Loblo and it seems you do too. I believe if you go above FF9 then you will experience the freezing. I have not tested for freezing of late though with the later browsers (Google can change). At one point I needed to use a different search engine other than Google as Google would freeze the browsers. Not the case anymore for me.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

On 5/28/2022 at 8:59 PM, Dave-H said:

I'm not having any luck with RoyTam1's Firefox 45.
Does it actually work on Windows 98, even with KernelEx, or have I misunderstood something here?

Firefox 45 on 98FirstEdition isn't or is hardly testet. I've Firefox 45.9 and 48.0.2 (AzureContentBackend set to "skia" to avoid graphical and icon glitches) running on 98SE. Also DirectX 9c is highly recommended to activate Hardware acceleration. The specs are chip VIA P4M800, CPU Intel Northwood (SSE2), NV6600GT (AGP)/driver 82.16 and 1GB Ram. Unfortunately RoyTam's Firefox 45 doesn't work with skia. RoyTam disabled the compilation switch, so that's not possible. Versions 12 - 23 freeze on start and 36 - 41 crash. This is also all to find in my topic as well as the requirements. To make it easier first try to run a pre-configured, 98/ME optimised, portable version Firefox 35 or 31 I provide here.

Edited by schwups

I'm now trying Firefox Portable 31.8 ESR, as that seems to be the version which can be used with the least trouble.
I've set the KernelEx options as specified, and it does run, but is quite unstable.
Crashes with 'FIREFOX.EXE caused fault #c0000005 in XUL.DLL'.
The GUI isn't displaying well either, with a lot of black holes left when things change.
It also seems to have the same problem as K-Meleon 74 with the Trend Micro page, it freezes instead of completing loading.
:(

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

It also seems to have the same problem as K-Meleon 74 with the Trend Micro page, it freezes instead of completing loading.

Why not try stepping up gradually starting with FF4. CometBird I found to be better, slimmer with less API function incompatibility errors with native 98SE. All you need to do is extract the install executable and copy the core folder to a folder of your choose and rename it CometBird for example. Then start CometBird.exe do a little surfing, not much, you do not want it to freeze, then exit. Then restart your machine. Do this till you get up to CometBird 9 and use the greprefs.js on page 8 in this topic. Retrozilla TLS update files can be used with the TLS1.3 ciphers listed in the greprefs.js.

I thought Firefox 31.8 ESR was supposed to just work though, as long as KernelEx was installed and configured correctly for it?
Maybe I'm expecting too much here.