Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

HP nx6110 Laptop - 915 chipset - running great but need driver help


Recommended Posts

Thats true 98se and ME both have WDM driver models very similar to 2ks driver model.  This also could be a issue of manually dropping the requiered codec fiels into the system32 folder.  Becasue the driver maybe looking for them and cant find them and thats why is says no ADI codec installed.

Edited by Destro
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright. First of all, thanks guys. Much help.

I tried the files Destro had posted first for audio, neither seemed to be working correctly, I had installed the two hotfixes in the one folder and there was a third with the other driver, I had installed all three. I'm pretty sure that had something to do with it and the AUDIO_XP_2K_050908 one might have worked and I'm pretty sure I recall you being correct in that it had the hardware ID in the inf when I looked at it, either that or the other one did, I know at least one of them did and I got really excited until it didn't work! (At first.)

Restored to a previous backup I had made, (which I might not have tried if Destro hadn't said my OS could be corrupt, which I honestly didn't think it was, but apparently something must have borked so I'm glad I did!) basically took it back to the same as when I made the first post, windows fully installed, sp3, nusb, direct x9. I had tried a few soundmax installers before I made that backup and uninstalled them, but had not ran any of those hotfixes. I downloaded the driver Lone Crusader mentioned, I should have checked it after seeing other drivers for 2k that had the 98 folder in them to see if that one did too because of course as you discovered it did. After restoring I installed the one from HP and it went without a hitch using it's own installer. Rebooted and poof I had sound. Decent too so that's nice. Either of them might have worked at this point but I figured I'd try the official HP one first and when it worked I about did a damn backflip. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Like if I knew both your paypals I was about to send donations your way lol.

I've had quite a few systems with that startup crackle as well, I never figured out how to fix that, I remember specifically I had like 5+ of an amd 64 SIS chipset that really crackled a lot on startup but were ok after that. I think I had put Creative cards in those too because the onboard was HD and there was no drivers for it. Don't remember which model CT card I used exactly. Know that I've read about the differences between .vxd and .wmd drivers before but I sure can't remember off the top of my head.

Never tried inserting a hardware ID into an inf, no idea how to do that. I'm not even totally sure really when looking at an inf how the ID is supposed to be in there, it appears some have various syntax, it's not just plainly states like SIV(L) shows it.

Also, now that I've got sound, I tried installing Doom just to see if I would get lucky. Running it in Windows I got sound effects but no music as per usual. I'm honestly a bit ashamed of myself I haven't figured out how to do DOS sound better but I've only figured it out with a few particular cards, one of the PCI soundblasters that has the SB16 emulation built in to the driver installer, and real DOS sound with an SB16 ISA using it's specific driver for DOS that I learned from a Phil's Computer's video and the nice package & info in his links. So basically I can either get DOS sound in windows with that PCI card, or I can get real dos sound with an actual SB16 ISA. Is there software that can be used to get sound for DOS games in windows or dos or both with any working audio? Or do you always have to basically use drivers for specific audio chips?

-----------
Dencorso "I haven't been much around the community since I've given up on 9x/ME some 5 years ago, but I'm not totally forgetful yet, so this post is just to remind you of 2 things:
A.) Audio drivers for 2k usually can be successfuly installed on 98SE with Rloew's WDMEX.VxD or Walter Oney's WDMSTUB.SYS, and WDMCHECK.SYS can be used to find their dependencies.
B.) Thee EeePC 70x and 900 are both based in the 915 chipset, so @Sfor's old results may be useful for your present quest:"
----------

^ That sounds super cool. I just did another desktop recently, think it was an hp as well I couldn't get audio on, 2k was the oldest driver, think it was a 945 chipset, wonder if that WDMEX.VxD would help. I'll definitely have to check that out. No idea what it is or more importantly how to use it though. Now that I'm re-reading I notice that Crusader mentioned it as well. So it must work for more than just audio apparently.

 

For the phone modem I guess I'm generally not very concerned about getting those working, I tend to just leave them be. Also this one doesn't have an SD card reader slot either. Having one on a 98 system might be quite useful though. It does have a PCMCIA slot, that audigy card is pretty cool, I didn't even know those existed.

Don't think I'd heard of disabling pci steering on a system before, started to read up on it a little, I'll have to remember that. I'd almost say it's fun figuring out which systems need what power options on or off, acpi disabled, legacy usb, /p i switches on install etc, but it's really not! Haha.


Ok, as for the broadcom ethernet I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried the driver Destro linked, and I've downloaded a bunch of other similar drivers for it but none of them (including the one destro provided) have that specific hardware ID in any of the infs, unless I'm mistaken, which I very well could be because I just learned how to sorta look for that a few days ago! (I also tried the have disk option, which came up with 3 possibilities, one for Asus, one MSI, and the 3rd I think was just generic broadcom, but I stopped there because I didn't want to fry something not understanding the IDs and stuff.) Also I tried downloading the one on the HP site with hopes it might have been like the audio and have a 98 folder in it but no joy. Actually I don't even see 14E4 170C in the inf in the 2000 folder so that kinda baffled me. I haven't given up on the lan just yet but I downloaded almost all of them on driverguide for 4401 and not one has that hardware ID in it. I can force / have disk install one of the three options in one if you think it will work.

Too bad on the wireless, if you are sure the 2915 is just plain not supported I guess I won't bother with it anymore. It wasn't critical, just a nicety. It does have a mini pci slot so something else could be put in there if needed. I did have a D600 at one time with a broadcom wireless that did work at one time but I sold it.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

your ethernet chip is the same one Dell uses on their 915 laptops (and 945 too). bcm4sbe5.sys , b44win98.inf    I use Broadcom version 4.28 and haven't had any problems.

ftp://ftpt.distec.nl/drivers/mainboard/Fujitsu/Amilo1310g/FSC_1003115_lan_broadcom/Drivers/Win2k/

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aeridyne said:

Alright. First of all, thanks guys. Much help.

I tried the files Destro had posted first for audio, neither seemed to be working correctly, I had installed the two hotfixes in the one folder and there was a third with the other driver, I had installed all three. I'm pretty sure that had something to do with it and the AUDIO_XP_2K_050908 one might have worked and I'm pretty sure I recall you being correct in that it had the hardware ID in the inf when I looked at it, either that or the other one did, I know at least one of them did and I got really excited until it didn't work! (At first.)

Restored to a previous backup I had made, (which I might not have tried if Destro hadn't said my OS could be corrupt, which I honestly didn't think it was, but apparently something must have borked so I'm glad I did!) basically took it back to the same as when I made the first post, windows fully installed, sp3, nusb, direct x9. I had tried a few soundmax installers before I made that backup and uninstalled them, but had not ran any of those hotfixes. I downloaded the driver Lone Crusader mentioned, I should have checked it after seeing other drivers for 2k that had the 98 folder in them to see if that one did too because of course as you discovered it did. After restoring I installed the one from HP and it went without a hitch using it's own installer. Rebooted and poof I had sound. Decent too so that's nice. Either of them might have worked at this point but I figured I'd try the official HP one first and when it worked I about did a damn backflip. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Like if I knew both your paypals I was about to send donations your way lol.

Glad you got it working! :thumbup

2 hours ago, Aeridyne said:

I've had quite a few systems with that startup crackle as well, I never figured out how to fix that, I remember specifically I had like 5+ of an amd 64 SIS chipset that really crackled a lot on startup but were ok after that. I think I had put Creative cards in those too because the onboard was HD and there was no drivers for it. Don't remember which model CT card I used exactly. Know that I've read about the differences between .vxd and .wmd drivers before but I sure can't remember off the top of my head.

Never tried inserting a hardware ID into an inf, no idea how to do that. I'm not even totally sure really when looking at an inf how the ID is supposed to be in there, it appears some have various syntax, it's not just plainly states like SIV(L) shows it.

Adding a hardware ID isn't hard, you can just use Notepad to edit the INF file, find one of the lines that has a PCI VEN & DEV entry, such as

%*WDM_AC97AUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_HEAVENLY, pci\ven_8086&dev_266E&subsys_0938103C

Then, copy this line and paste the copy back into the INF under the original line like this.

%*WDM_AC97AUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_HEAVENLY, pci\ven_8086&dev_266E&subsys_0938103C
%*WDM_AC97AUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_HEAVENLY, pci\ven_8086&dev_266E&subsys_0938103C

Then edit the copied line to match the device you and to add, for example:
%*WDM_AC97AUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_HEAVENLY, pci\ven_XXXX&dev_YYYY&subsys_ZZZZZZZZ

If you don't have the SUBSYS or other data just delete everything from the end of the DEV ID to the end of the line. The VEN&DEV are sufficient.

It only gets complicated if there are multiple different install routines for different devices in an INF. If this is the case you need to pick the target section (in this example WDM_HEAVENLY) that is the closest match for your device.

2 hours ago, Aeridyne said:

Also, now that I've got sound, I tried installing Doom just to see if I would get lucky. Running it in Windows I got sound effects but no music as per usual. I'm honestly a bit ashamed of myself I haven't figured out how to do DOS sound better but I've only figured it out with a few particular cards, one of the PCI soundblasters that has the SB16 emulation built in to the driver installer, and real DOS sound with an SB16 ISA using it's specific driver for DOS that I learned from a Phil's Computer's video and the nice package & info in his links. So basically I can either get DOS sound in windows with that PCI card, or I can get real dos sound with an actual SB16 ISA. Is there software that can be used to get sound for DOS games in windows or dos or both with any working audio? Or do you always have to basically use drivers for specific audio chips?

I assume the HP provided WDM driver does not provide SB Emulation. (Shows up as another Audio device in the Device Manager with the main card.)

I noticed this as well on my ZD8000 laptop. I hadn't tried using any DOS programs yet, but I did notice that when I used the Realtek VXD drivers I mentioned, a SB Emulation device was installed. Maybe another reason to use the VXD drivers (or a more generic WDM driver)... :dubbio:

You can try this to use the VXD drivers if you want.
Download this package and use WinRAR/7-Zip to extract the contents.
https://repo.etfovac.com/autopatcher/0001-VXD_A406.exe
Open VALCX95.INF in the \Win95 folder.
Add this line to the [Realtek] section.

%ALCICH.DeviceDesc%=ALCAUD, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_266E

Save the modified INF and then use the Device Manager to manually install the driver from this folder. The installer will not run under 98SE.

2 hours ago, Aeridyne said:

^ That sounds super cool. I just did another desktop recently, think it was an hp as well I couldn't get audio on, 2k was the oldest driver, think it was a 945 chipset, wonder if that WDMEX.VxD would help. I'll definitely have to check that out. No idea what it is or more importantly how to use it though. Now that I'm re-reading I notice that Crusader mentioned it as well. So it must work for more than just audio apparently.

WDMEX.VXD (along with WDMSTUB.SYS, but WDMSTUB is much less capable) extends the available WDM driver functions under 9x to include functions only available under 2K/XP. It can load some drivers that otherwise do not work, but it's not a miracle cure either. Many drivers are just incompatible, even if all of their functions are satisfied. :}

2 hours ago, Aeridyne said:

For the phone modem I guess I'm generally not very concerned about getting those working, I tend to just leave them be. Also this one doesn't have an SD card reader slot either. Having one on a 98 system might be quite useful though. It does have a PCMCIA slot, that audigy card is pretty cool, I didn't even know those existed.


Don't think I'd heard of disabling pci steering on a system before, started to read up on it a little, I'll have to remember that. I'd almost say it's fun figuring out which systems need what power options on or off, acpi disabled, legacy usb, /p i switches on install etc, but it's really not! Haha.


Ok, as for the broadcom ethernet I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried the driver Destro linked, and I've downloaded a bunch of other similar drivers for it but none of them (including the one destro provided) have that specific hardware ID in any of the infs, unless I'm mistaken, which I very well could be because I just learned how to sorta look for that a few days ago! (I also tried the have disk option, which came up with 3 possibilities, one for Asus, one MSI, and the 3rd I think was just generic broadcom, but I stopped there because I didn't want to fry something not understanding the IDs and stuff.) Also I tried downloading the one on the HP site with hopes it might have been like the audio and have a 98 folder in it but no joy. Actually I don't even see 14E4 170C in the inf in the 2000 folder so that kinda baffled me. I haven't given up on the lan just yet but I downloaded almost all of them on driverguide for 4401 and not one has that hardware ID in it. I can force / have disk install one of the three options in one if you think it will work.

Too bad on the wireless, if you are sure the 2915 is just plain not supported I guess I won't bother with it anymore. It wasn't critical, just a nicety. It does have a mini pci slot so something else could be put in there if needed. I did have a D600 at one time with a broadcom wireless that did work at one time but I sold it.
 

If the Broadcom driver farfigs11 linked doesn't work I will dig for something else.

For the wireless card, just look around on eBay for a ZD7000 or ZD8000 Broadcom WiFi card to swap out. I think I saw a couple listed in the $5-$10 range.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for helping clarify that about editing inf files Lone Crusader. I assumed it would be something like that but didn't know specifics. I'm sure I could have spent quite a bit of time trying to read up on just that.

You are correct it did not provide SB emulation as a separate device (or at all). The one soundblaster PCI card I mentioned previously is one of the very few I've ever seen install the SB16 emulation automatically. Think the only other one I ever saw did that was an old crystal or something. I've done probably at least 100 different 98SE systems by now and seems like I recall very few ever had it.

I'm gonna need to read up on that WDMEX.VXD and mess around with it, it sounds super useful.

The Broadcom driver provided by Farfigs11 (thank you btw) did install using device manager, however I get an error again saying it needs NDIS.VXD & NTKERN.VXD. After looking up this issue again I found someone mentioning they used sfc to extract those files from the CD and put them where they were supposed to be, however upon doing so I learned they were already there! So, it must be some other issue I guess but once again I'm not sure. I guess I could try restoring again but I already did that to get the sound working and now it does. I'm still at the point all I've done is install sp3, nusb, dx, display doctor & now the sound driver & manual network driver that isn't quite working.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aeridyne said:

The Broadcom driver provided by Farfigs11 (thank you btw) did install using device manager, however I get an error again saying it needs NDIS.VXD & NTKERN.VXD. After looking up this issue again I found someone mentioning they used sfc to extract those files from the CD and put them where they were supposed to be, however upon doing so I learned they were already there! So, it must be some other issue I guess but once again I'm not sure. I guess I could try restoring again but I already did that to get the sound working and now it does. I'm still at the point all I've done is install sp3, nusb, dx, display doctor & now the sound driver & manual network driver that isn't quite working.

I'm not sure what the problem is with that driver. I did notice that all of the INF files have "Signature=$Windows NT$" which normally indicates that it is not 9x-compatible. It may be missing a WDM function or some other oddity that causes it to claim it needs NTKERN.

Slightly OT, but I've seen some wildly ridiculous claims about NTKERN.VXD and other files "not being installed." All these files are placed by Windows SETUP! :wacko:

Try this version.. the INF has the proper "Signature=$CHICAGO$", may or may not help. Always remember to download the file, not the "Update Utility" but you're probably already familiar with that.
https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=816509

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
On 3/24/2019 at 12:33 AM, LoneCrusader said:

I tried the Realtek AC'97 WDM packages (4.05 and 4.06 contain a function that is not present in 9x and do not work, despite claiming 9x support; 4.04 is compatible) but these drivers didn't work with my card. I found that installing the Realtek AC'97 VXD drivers for Windows 95 by manually adding the device to the INF seems to work better than the WDM driver for my specific card. If the official HP package or one of the others linked does not work, I can upload a package for you to test.

The version I got to work was Realtek AC'97 WDM A3.62. I'm using it in Qemu, the VXD crashes MS Hover!

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...