Instagram videos not working in Firefox 52 ESR?

Oh, that's good! Maybe it was just some kind of temporary glitch 7 months ago.

I probably should have noticed the amount of time that had passed before making my first post. But at least you got better h.264 video support for FF out of the deal - thanks @grey_rat!

Edited by Mathwiz

• 2 months later...

The Instagram videos aren't working again for me now in Firefox 52.9 ESR.
Can anyone else confirm this?
Carousel videos are just a white space, single videos don't appear at all, I suspect they've just collapsed to a single line again.
:(

Uh-oh; I think the video issue is a different problem this time than before. Last time, it broke in FF 52.9 (and Serpent 55), but worked in UXP browsers (Serpent 52 & New Moon 28) and in SeaMonkey 2.49.5 (the final "official" Mozilla browser for XP):

On 9/13/2019 at 7:17 AM, Dave-H said:

Oh dear, it looks as if this has happened again!
Anyone else confirm?

On 9/13/2019 at 3:49 PM, Mathwiz said:

Confirmed. Fails on both FF 52.9.1 and Serpent 55. Looks just like before. Works in Serpent 52 (just like before).

On 9/13/2019 at 8:51 PM, Mathwiz said:

Besides Serpent 52 and New Moon 28 (and probably Chrome), Mozilla's recently-finalized SeaMonkey 2.49.5 is known to work with Instagram on XP, so evidently, Mozilla eventually figured it out....

... but I think you mentioned trying Serpent 52 on the @roytam1 browser thread, and said Instagram videos now don't work there either. :(

So for the moment, it looks like 360Chrome is XP's only Instagram option.

Oops; see below. I misread @Dave-H's posts on the other thread.

Edited by Mathwiz

Sorry, I misread your posts. Instagram videos do seem to work in Serpent 52, so maybe it is the same old problem after all. (I confirmed it also works in SeaMonkey and IceApe, so it will probably work in New Moon 28 too.)

Many moons ago I opined that, since there are still FF 52.9 users, they needed a more permanent fix than updating UserContent.css every time this happens. The UXP browsers are great, but folks may not be willing or able to move to Pale Moon's browser syncing infrastructure.

SeaMonkey 2.49.5 works, and still uses the Mozilla browser sync infrastructure. The UI is somewhat different, but you might try it. (To play videos, you'll need to transplant the same two .dll files as you did for FF 52.9.)

Edited by Mathwiz
Add link to official Seamonkey site

OK, I've tried with Serpent 52, and yes the Instagram videos (and comments view) work there fine!
:yes:
Unfortunately, Facebook still has the problem that you can't post, text entry doesn't work.
:no:
I would really like to find a Mozilla-based browser that works properly on everything in XP, but so far no joy.
If it could still use Firefox Sync to synchronise with my other Firefox browsers that would be the icing on the cake!
360Chrome still seems the best option at the moment I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

OK, I've tried with Serpent 52, and yes the Instagram videos (and comments view) work there fine!
:yes:
Unfortunately, Facebook still has the problem that you can't post, text entry doesn't work.
I would really like to find a Mozilla-based browser that works properly on everything in XP, but so far no joy.
If it could still use Firefox Sync to synchronise with my other Firefox browsers that would be the icing on the cake!
360Chrome still seems the best option at the moment I'm afraid.

Agree with all the above. 360Chrome does everything except the Firefox Sync part.

As far as 1) viewing Instagram videos and 2) using Firefox Sync, SeaMonkey 2.49.5 seems to be the only XP browser that does the trick. But there are other Web pages that SM fails on too, like Facebook. So whatever XP browser we choose, we have to give up something.

Way back on page 3 of this thread, I figured out (I think) the UXP fixes that let Instagram videos work on browsers like Serpent 52:

- Bug 958714 Remove special case for flex & grid items' percent block-axis margin/padding resolution, to align with other browsers (b12973bc9)
- Bug 958714 Simplify percent-margin/padding resolution code to pass around a single length as the percent basis (83459c927)
- Bug 958714 Remove obsolete assertion & comment (1b153b3f2)
- Merge pull request #650 from janekptacijarabaci/css_layout_flex-grid_1 (edc1da82d)

It'd be nice if that set of fixes could be merged into Serpent 55, which AIUI still uses Firefox Sync. Or, for that matter, into "straight" FF 52.9!

Yeah, hope our developers here can work miricles for us to keep XP still worth using ... though I do admit I've been searching for other options in linux and do use Linux. I will still use Serpent but more and more sites are not working and I'm using 360 Chrome and DC Browser more. If the fixes can be merged into FF52.9.1 I'll go back to that and will update my prefs for everyone. It was you @Mathwiz that helped me with some of the prefs along wtih @VistaLover and others I'm forgetting; sorry. Actually, I"ll get on it this week. Just haven't been doing very well and this year is off to a rough start for me. 

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Agree with all the above. 360Chrome does everything except the Firefox Sync part.

As far as 1) viewing Instagram videos and 2) using Firefox Sync, SeaMonkey 2.49.5 seems to be the only XP browser that does the trick. But there are other Web pages that SM fails on too, like Facebook. So whatever XP browser we choose, we have to give up something.

Way back on page 3 of this thread, I figured out (I think) the UXP fixes that let Instagram videos work on browsers like Serpent 52:

It'd be nice if that set of fixes could be merged into Serpent 55, which AIUI still uses Firefox Sync. Or, for that matter, into "straight" FF 52.9!

In my experience, Serpent 55 appeared to use Firefox Sync, which really got my hopes up, but it refused to actually connect for me.
Serpent 52 uses Pale Moon Sync.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

In my experience, Serpent 55 appeared to use Firefox Sync, which really got my hopes up, but it refused to actually connect for me.

I haven't used Sync in so long I wouldn't have realized that! Pretty certain it used to work, though - I wonder what broke it, and if it can be fixed?

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Serpent 52 uses Pale Moon Sync.

That is correct, making 52 useless for users of Firefox Sync. So, unless 55 can be repaired (and it appears that it needs two fixes now: one to fix Instagram videos and one to repair Firefox Sync), SeaMonkey 2.49.5 is your last hope.

On 1/1/2022 at 6:24 PM, Dave-H said:

It was actually Serpent 55 I tried it on, but yes, exactly the same problem.
I haven't tried New Moon.
:)

29 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

So, unless 55 can be repaired (and it appears that it needs two fixes now: one to fix Instagram videos and one to repair Firefox Sync), SeaMonkey 2.49.5 is your last hope.

Well, it gets weirder: seeing @msfntor's post, I just tried two of the Instagram videos he linked to in Serpent 55 - and they worked!

So either Instagram fixed something (in which case, their videos probably started working again in FF 52.9 too) or @roytam1 did (before 17 Dec 2021, which is the date of the St55 version I tried).

Now if only we could get St55 and FF Sync talking again....

Yes those two video links work in Firefox 52.9 ESR.
The problem is not that IG videos have stopped working completely, it's that they have stopped being displayed in the feed.
If you click on the comments of an entry in the feed where there is a video missing, when the comments window opens the video plays fine there next to the comments.
It doesn't show in the feed though, that's the problem.
Sorry, I should have been more specific!
:)

On 12/30/2021 at 1:40 AM, Dave-H said:

single videos don't appear at all

Seen this too with uBlock disabled...BUT if using (enabled) uBlock, these videos reappear... - in Serpent 55.

Links I posted in another thread that are censored by login demand following my changes on Facebook link of instagram.com in uBlock, after 24 hours are once again OK today...

Cookies problem? Or change user-agent?...

18 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

So, unless 55 can be repaired (and it appears that it needs two fixes now: one to fix Instagram videos and one to repair Firefox Sync), SeaMonkey 2.49.5 is your last hope.

+1.

EDIT:

Instagram post 3rd link to test: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNvXOw1g56k/?igshid=yfmoainfvma2

Edited by msfntor
link added