DirectX 8.0a Developer Runtime + other stuff

cov3rt

On 3/26/2019 at 7:36 AM, cov3rt said:

i noticed a window that wanted to install msdn but i didn't know what this was or if i have it

AFAIK, it's a separate thing containing documentation for Windows API functions.

also from what we talked about, i wouldn't need the platform sdk, although it's unclear to me if this is included with visual studio 6.0 or not.

You could say Visual Studio 6.0 comes with older version of Platform SDK (these days, it's called Windows SDK). https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18844383/windows-sdk-vs-visual-studio

so now i was wondering if i can get a general starting point or tips on creating something basic in the directx sdk or visual studio.

I only did simple modifications to some existing games, nothing directly related to rendering with Direct3D, so can't be much of help in that department.

when specifying monitor, i choose the 1600x1200 one

I'd go with Plug and Play Monitor in most cases.

currently i have it set at 1280x960 which i find to be reasonable resolution and probably one i would like my game to be in for optimal look and performance

It's the best to let the user choose any resolution supported by the system. Some games display dialog with graphics settings the first time they're launched.