How to create a homemade dial-up server?

WinFX

I know that the dial-up in 2019 does not work much anymore, but I'm curious when watching videos on YouTube connecting old computers with Windows 9x and other old systems to the Internet with the dial-up made by them. I wonder what things I need to put together my dial-up server.

> can it just be done with two computers and some phone cord?
That's a different (but related) topic. Short answer: Use three of the wires as a cross-over cable between serial ports (not modems) and do DCC (Direct Cable Connect) networking. For long answer, see discussion in threads linked by @jaclaz.

A dial-up server requires POTS service.

Not to derail, but let's break down the two sides of such a project. One is the client that dials into the server. The other side is what the server connects to that the client will be able to access after establishing a connection.

Client-server side
What is required to create a segregated dial-up system? The client needs to dial a number, the server needs to answer that number. What exists between the client and the server to route this request? Can this be handled on the server itself or does it require a separate piece of hardware? Do you need to have a PBX in there someplace? Then there is the other consideration. Your in-house "PSTN" needs to have power running on the line and also to provide a dial-tone when the line is picked up by the client. What is needed to provide this?

Server-Server side
The dial-up server is acting as a gateway to some other content. What do you want your client to be able to access? Do you want to access the public internet, or perhaps you run this totally isolated and have it connect to an intranet. This portion seems like it would be a lot easier to set up than the part in-between the client and the server.

Note: this is going upon the understanding that you would not be using an existing POTS hookup from the street.

No actual need of a dial tone (as already stated in one of the given threads).

Of course, if you want to dial a number, you need *something* understanding the number(s) and redirecting the "call" to the destination (and powering the - internal only - phone line).

And yes that is a (minimal) PBX.

You can usually find simple. working ones with 4/6/8 internal extensions for a few tens of bucks or even less if you find a working used one.

Or if you have an old PC (with a PCI slot) just get a FXO card and put together an Asterisk system, but it is way overkill.

Making a completely DIY one is possible (and not particularly complex, if you want/need just two extensions).

Example:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Intercom-PBX-With-GPIO/

but it makes little sense if not for the fun of soldering together some good ol'school electronics.

jaclaz