NT 4.0 in 2019: Back to the Future

sdfox7

So today I did a clean install of NT 4.0 on my ThinkPad T23. I also added Office XP for good measure. (I've previously run the factory restore before which has Windows 2000, but since my 600 has 98SE, T41 has 2000, and T61p has XP, I found the T23 with only 1GB quite appropriate for NT 4.0).

I stuck with Internet Explorer 5.5, since Internet Explorer 6 fails to load sites like Google on any OS that supports it. :dubbio:

NT 4.0 is still just as stable, and runs just as well as it always has. Opera 10 isn't as long in the tooth as I expected. Enjoy. These images are hosted on my FTP and do not take up space on MSFN.

nt40d1.jpg

ie55nt.jpg

opera10nt.jpg

offxpsys.jpg

cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

13 hours ago, DosFreak said:

If you want to try something slightly newer with TLS 1.2 support here is Opera 10.70 Build 9071:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12102&start=20#p730673

As roytam1 mentioned above his QtWeb 3.8.4 build works great as well.

i thought the custom firefox 3.6.28 for NT4 was the "best" so far. does it not have tls 1.2 support? i'm not aware of the opera 10.70 build 9071, how does it also compare with latest retrozilla 2.2 with tls 1.2?

• 2 weeks later...

256 bit encryption started with FF2. To turn off lower graded cyphers edit the security-prefs.js.  TLS 1.2 started with FF24 but was disabled by default.

Looks like Opera 12.18 is secure on all fronts except has not got TLS1.3    wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

Edited by Goodmaneuver