Tool to identify problematic service at log on?

shorterxp

Hi,

Is there an easy way to "track" services behaviour at log on for windows XP?

I installed a ethernet device driver, upon reboot + logon (and everyone subsequent logon) explorer loads however majority of windows stuff refuses to open (some non .net apps can). Things like Device manager, network connections, control panel, won't open for circa 2minutes. I suspect that a service which is supposed to run at startup impdes the usual logon sequence. Is there a tool out there that can monitor the sequence?

FYI: It's definately the ethernet driver that does it because upon fresh install of XP (which takes but a minute) everything works as expected until IT alone is installed. Even after uninstall, the hang persists. Trried both manual installation of the driver via device manager and the provided installshield package, both lead to the same end.

Cheers fellas

EDIT: problem goes away if I Disable the connection in Network Connections (or device in device manager). Very strange

Edited by shorterxp

I had the same problem before. Analyzing with Bootvis, there's driver delay related to *smb*, so I deleted all desktop link to remote directories (like \\host\folder\), it gets quicker, but not enough until I totally changed "workstation" service to "manual" ("computer browser" and "tcp/ip Netbios helper" have already changed to "manual" before). That reduces boot time to 30s or so, and no stuck after showing the desktop anymore.

The side effect is, if you need to visit remote folders afterwards, you should run "workstation" service manually.

Edited by luweitest