[SOLVED] ThinkPad X230 no OHCI device, how to run USB 2.0?

MrMateczko

On my ThinkPad X230, there's no OHCI controller present in the system, all the USB ports are handled by the EHCI and XHCI controllers, I can disable the XHCI controller in the BIOS/UEFI, but that's about it.

Now, since there's no OHCI controllers, Windows 98 SE does not pick up any USB devices when installed.

When I've tried to install the unofficial USB 2.0 drivers, I get Code 2 on the USB Hub, which means USB does not work at all.

Does USB 2.0 on Windows 98 SE require OHCI/UHCI (USB 1.1) controllers to be present before hand?

Edited by MrMateczko

I have it setup like that already, I have the latest 2.74 BIOS/UEFI.

There's no problem with using USB flash drivers in the BIOS/UEFI, and in other operating systems.

It's the way the motherboard/PCH was designed that is the problem. And how Windows 98/USB drivers can't handle that.

Edited by MrMateczko

Thanks @rloew!

With the USBD.SYS file copied, the USB controllers are enumerated correctly, and USB Flash Drive and USB Sound Card is working fine! I had to also copy USBHUB.SYS.

Also, if anyone wants to run 98SE on X230 and alike, make sure to disable USB UEFI BIOS Support in the BIOS once you've installed the system, because it causes major startup delay for whatever reason.