Windows 98 and NAS (network attached storage)

Nomen

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, Nomen said:

I'm thinking of getting a NAS box.  Anyone have any first-hand experience with file-access between a NAS and Win-98?  Does it work?  No problem with any NAS?  Or maybe just some?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to expose a Samba share from your NAS that your Windows 98 computer could see.

I have a Cisco Linksys 2 drive bay with latest firmware. No trouble with both the media server and direct IP access on WinME. I am using one 2TB drive. Capacity and free space indication when mapped as a drive are very close to what Win7 indicates. ME Capacity 1.79 TB; Free 2.58 GB; Win7 Capacity 1.81 TB; Free 2.65GB. (I have filled it right up ME is accurate). Used flash vs 9 for original firmware now uses flash 10 or better when using a browser and viewing the local IP address (media server).

It has been the most reliable piece of computing equipment I have purchased & was secondhand. When HDDs have not been exercised throughout the complete drive then this is when hard drive failure is likely to occur. It can be considered like a metal tape back in the day. Bias level needed to be adjusted and erasing did not completely occur if listening carefully. What I am trying to say that areas of unused sectors have differing biasing levels to well used sections and drive writing/erasing errors can then happen. The Linksys Sata interface has chugged through and saved a secondhand drive that had this affliction. The slow speed fan is still working without service. A green drive is recommended though as it can still get quite warm. Android OS, disk drive will be formatted when placed in the first time.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
Added more info