Windows ME VIA AC'97 not working

bz07

@bz07, no a399 was not my suggestion, I gave a web address to the driver that I thought would work in my first post on this topic. This driver was also called wdm_a247 .

It is best to go back to a previous registry setting after installing many drivers as the reg can get large of unwanted settings. I use scanreg.ini with MaxBackupCopies=22 to give a reasonable time frame to act if an error creeps in unnoticed.

After installing a406 no other installing of audio will work unless a406 is removed fully, means all pnfs in the inf folder.

PS It is the alcxwdm.sys file that does not work with a406 but if alcxwdm.sys from a404 is used then a406 install works.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
error

20 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

@bz07, no a399 was not my suggestion, I gave a web address to the driver that I thought would work in my first post on this topic. This driver was also called wdm_a247 .

It is best to go back to a previous registry setting after installing many drivers as the reg can get large of unwanted settings. I use scanreg.ini with MaxBackupCopies=22 to give a reasonable time frame to act if an error creeps in unnoticed.

Thanks, and that's a good idea I've been doing a lot of inefficent reinstall when I begin to get frustrated with all the drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

This may not apply to Windows ME and therefore may not be of any use to the OP, but here's a heads up to anyone using 98SE - Realtek's A405 and A406 AC'97 WDM packages use an ALCXWDM.SYS file that is missing a WDM function under 98SE, namely MmMapLockedPagesSpecifyCache. Therefore A405 and A406 are probably never going to work on a vanilla 98SE system, no matter what audio device you have. You will need WDMSTUB.SYS or rloew's WDMEX.VXD to provide this function. The A404 version does not appear to have any missing functions.

(If anyone can check Windows ME and see if this function is available there we can clarify whether or not ME is affected by this.)

3 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

This may not apply to Windows ME and therefore may not be of any use to the OP, but here's a heads up to anyone using 98SE - Realtek's A405 and A406 AC'97 WDM packages use an ALCXWDM.SYS file that is missing a WDM function under 98SE, namely MmMapLockedPagesSpecifyCache. Therefore A405 and A406 are probably never going to work on a vanilla 98SE system, no matter what audio device you have. You will need WDMSTUB.SYS or rloew's WDMEX.VXD to provide this function. The A404 version does not appear to have any missing functions.

(If anyone can check Windows ME and see if this function is available there we can clarify whether or not ME is affected by this.)

Ooh! That explains why A405 and A406 never worked for me when I had the ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 motherboard with Windows 98 SE!

PS: Some drivers include WDMSTUB.SYS in their packages!

Edited by MrMateczko

@bz07 In the past I used a P4M800 board, Asus P5vd2-nvm. To find drivers for Windows 9x was a big problem, but finally I succeeded with AC'97 driver (ver:A4.00) from Biostar 8267R: alc850_6240.exe

Your VEN/DEV is inside the WDM-inf's as far as I can see in my driver archive (major version only, no SUBSYS/REVisions). It's still available for download (you have to search the link with Google...). You can try if you like :cool:

BTW: better do not use the setup, but unpack the exe with 7-zip and point during Windows's driver install directly to the WDM folder .

On 3/6/2019 at 6:18 AM, deomsh said:

@bz07 In the past I used a P4M800 board, Asus P5vd2-nvm. To find drivers for Windows 9x was a big problem, but finally I succeeded with AC'97 driver (ver:A4.00) from Biostar 8267R: alc850_6240.exe

Your VEN/DEV is inside the WDM-inf's as far as I can see in my driver archive (major version only, no SUBSYS/REVisions). It's still available for download (you have to search the link with Google...). You can try if you like :cool:

BTW: better do not use the setup, but unpack the exe with 7-zip and point during Windows's driver install directly to the WDM folder .

I tried a fresh install with the alc850_6240 driver by directing windows to the WDM with no results than tried installing the driver via the setup exe and still no luck. Device manger still gives the same error

On 3/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, deomsh said:

The IRQ should be there first in my opinion. What's the DriverVer of your Viamach.inf?

Sorry, for such the break in replying. The driver version of the Viamach.inf is  08/16/2001  5.1.00.0230 .   This is the official chip set driver from what is left of the everex site

No problem.

Your chipset-driver is old, my idea is first to try the last 9x one: DriverVer=6.0.00.0300. It's inside  Via_HyperionPro_524A.zip. You find it on http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp > Windows > ME > chipset.

Rename your existing Viamach.inf to Viamach.inf.old. Open the zip, go to VIAMACH\DRIVER\WinMe\ and extract the new Viamach.inf. Copy the file to the folder where you found the old Viamach.inf and reboot.

If there is still no IRQ for Audio, then go to DeviceManager > Computer > Properties and upload pictures from ALL used IRQ's (three pictures will be needed!). Also one picture for PCI-Bus, tab IRQ-steering please (to see if it's the same as your earlier one). 

Edited by deomsh
Typo's

On 3/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, deomsh said:

No problem.

Your chipset-driver is old, my idea is first to try the last 9x one: DriverVer=6.0.00.0300. It's inside  Via_HyperionPro_524A.zip. You find it on http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp > Windows > ME > chipset.

Rename your existing Viamach.inf to Viamach.inf.old. Open the zip, go to VIAMACH\DRIVER\WinMe\ and extract the new Viamach.inf. Copy the file to the folder where you found the old Viamach.inf and reboot.

If there is still no IRQ for Audio, then go to DeviceManager > Computer > Properties and upload pictures from ALL used IRQ's (three pictures will be needed!). Also one picture for PCI-Bus, tab IRQ-steering please (to see if it's the same as your earlier one). 

I tried that method  with both the original VIA and than BIostar drivers and still no luck.  Tried again with fresh install and again no luck.   I have previously tried that updated chipset driver and it does adds more specific drivers but not audio IRQ apparently. Attached is my IRQ's and PCI bus. The IRQ steering is set like that because if any of the check boxes  in any combination are enabled the graphics, Ethernet, and USB will not work. If i uncheck the Use PCI steering than the audio tells me to enable it. However, the audio does not work whether it is turned on or off nor which boxes are checked

1.jpg300.jpg4.jpg200.jpg

Edited by bz07

1 hour ago, deomsh said:

Did you copy the DriverVer of Viamach.inf like I said?

Yes I did copy  newer VIAmach.inf with the 6.0.00.0300. version. The above pictures are from after copying

Thanks for your info.

In my opinion you must get rid of all Acpi-devices, and have to wait with installing USB/Ethernet/Audio devices until IRQ-problems are solved. As a starter I would suggest following steps.

1) Reboot in Safe mode.

2) rename ALL inf-files newer then the one's of your OS. Latest Viamach.inf to Viamach.inf.new, others to xxxx.inf.old.

3) Rename ALL xxxxx.pnf files to xxxx.pnf.old.

4) In Device Manager delete following devices: all IRQ-holders, both types alike; all USB/Ethernet/Audio devices; and - if still there - ACPI-Bios.

5) Reboot and reinstall your OS with SETUP /p i (watch the space between p and i).

6) During install, say always OK when asked, NEVER point to a driver-directory in this stage.

As a result I expect you should have a few yellow exclamation marks in your Device Manager. After this I think it's better to report first, same type of pictures please.

I formatted the disk and did a fresh install with the /p i flag. I did not  point the installer to any driver directory nor install any drivers. I ended up with the same exclamations in device manager as previous installs. The first three images are directly after the install. The second three are after I disable IRQ steering. The last 2 are the devices found with errors.

IMG-20190317-171456.jpgIMG-20190317-171625.jpgIMG-20190317-171659.jpg

IMG-20190317-171817.jpgIMG-20190317-171836.jpgIMG-20190317-171900.jpg

IMG-20190317-171938.jpgIMG-20190317-172014.jpg