Looking for info about the upcoming standalone SHA-2 patch for Win7

Thinkpad4

On this page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4472027/2019-sha-2-code-signing-support-requirement-for-windows-and-wsus it says Legacy Windows operating systems will receive Stand Alone and Preview of Monthly Rollup updates that introduce SHA-2 code sign support.  Now my question is the stand alone patch will be just that stand alone, right?  Also, will this be available on the Window Update Catalog because I've had issues using Windows Update and would rather download the patch from the catalog instead of in Windows. 

Thank you very much

I don't know the answer to your question. But the following post I made a several months back is relevant to Windows 7 and SHA256 signing.

By my reading of the Microsoft document you point to it seems the offered patch only works against Microsoft Updates whereas the update that I pointed to works with (as best as I could figure it) third-party files that are SHA256 signed.  I have no idea as how the two different patches would interrelate to each other.

I too would be very interested in the stand-alone that you mention, and how to get it without having to do a Microsoft update (which I would want to avoid at all costs).

Any word on what the KB number of the stand alone patch is?  MS's site is awful to navigate and I can't seem to find a straight answer on sites that are reviewing the latest Feb patches.  

Thank you very much

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 11:09 PM, Thinkpad4 said:

Anyone have any issues installing the patches on x64 and/or x86?  Like boot-loops, hanging systems, etc?

None of those issues mentioned didn't happen for me. I recommend to install the SHA-2 updates before the monthly update though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 6:52 AM, Tripredacus said:

They both update different files, and from the file list, it would appear that both should be updated. KB4474419 seems to be specifically for enterprise environment, since it references WSUS, while KB4490628 does not.

actually the SHA-2 update is just KB4474419 and applies to all Win7 editions and for all environments, not just for enterprise.

Windows Update does offer KB4474419 for any Win7 edition if it is not already installed.  KB4474419 will be required to install any new Win7 update made in August 2019 and beyond

On 3/12/2019 at 3:10 PM, Thinkpad4 said:

just KB4474419

MS support KB article 4472027, got revised March 14, 2019

Edited by erpdude8

On 3/25/2019 at 11:15 PM, erpdude8 said:

just KB4474419

MS support KB article 4472027, got revised March 14, 2019

I take this back.  you actually need both KB4474419 and KB4490628, Thinkpad4, as in "all of the above"

anyway download and install both of them and reboot (these patches are relatively small)

On 3/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, erpdude8 said:

I take this back.  you actually need both KB4474419 and KB4490628

Do these have to be installed in any particular order?

Edited by Radish