The action cant be completed...............

videobruce

3 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

As a follow up to my post above. The problem was the auto IP configuration logged onto an internet address similar to 169.xxx.252.xxx, I can not remember. It was pingable from the Win10 machine only. No local addresses were pingable. I manually configured the local gateway address, DNS server address (gateway), settup a fixed IP address and turned off IPv6. This had no effect on the problem, still could not ping any local addresses, but at least it was not connected to that web address. I tried an off-line anti-virus program and windows defender, no threats found. After a weeks grace where I did not have the machine turned on, the problem was not there anymore. I left my manual settings as they were.

You sure it wasn't in the 169.254.0.0/16 range?

http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/sep/24/169-254-0-0-addresses-explained/

that would be "normal" if there are dynamic addresses and not working DHCP.

jaclaz

I know that the first part of the  IP4 address was 169 it had 254 in it and 255 I think, 252 was probably not correct when thinking more about it. I thought I had a photo of the screen but only had my Win7 shots which I used for reference purposes when manually setting up the IP. I obtained the Vista machine from a friend which had not been on line since 2015. At first the internet worked but failed after a Microsoft update. Auto updates at first worked but stopped after first updates. It may have been just as MS was ending support. I exacerbated the problem by trying to update manually from MS myself, at this time it was end of support. I then had no internet access after this and could not get it back. I tried system restore at several restore points, no good. As I explained on page 1 only happened to Win10 disc after having placed the Vista x86 system on another sata port. This was after Win10 was running for several weeks. I wanted to watch TV as the tuner drivers did not work with Win10 64 bit. I blamed the expired anti-virus program for the problem which I had removed. Perhaps the cable network card is marginal as the previous owner was using a bluetooth adapter. Internet speed is normal and working fine now with Win10. I do not want to try the Vista drive with the Win10 drive attached anymore.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

On 2/23/2019 at 3:15 AM, Goodmaneuver said:

Is your OS x64? Your problem should not exist especially from the start, does it happen in safe mode? Can you delete just after a reboot by just left clicking once then pressing delete key?

Yes W7 is x64. And yes, after a reboot I can delete that folder as long as I don't open it back up.

I don't see any connection to IP addresses and this problem.

Edited by videobruce

@jaclaz, I know that the IP address did not have the subnet /16. I was wrong, I did take a text copy of the ipconfig and each adapter had a different IP subnet 16 address 169.254.167.227/16 was one of them. Thank you for your help.

@videobruce, the IP address is a side kick from page 1. I assume that the deleting will occur in safe mode after opening the folder? Right clicking excites the context programs like send to or any other program that has right click menu options and it is this that I thought you could look into and disable perhaps. If deleting in safe-mode is normal after opening the folder then a context menu program could be the problem. The 64 bit question arises in the fact that with WinME OS no 16 bit exe can be deleted directly, even in safe mode. They need to be placed in a folder by just left clicking and dropping in a folder, then the folder can be deleted. If right clicking the file, deletion is impossible until a reboot takes place and deleting is done without opening the folder. After a reboot I can do a left click on the file then Ctrl + C then a Ctrl + V into another directory.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Safe Mode is not necessary. Just a re-boot. Half the time, even 'Unlocker' doesn't work, but gives the option to do the action (delete or re-name) after a re-boot. Cut and paste is another non-worker. But again, this isn't with every or just any folder. I don't see any pattern. Funny thing is, copy & paste does work. :rolleyes:

Just to show the extent of the problem, this has a list of 36 'so-called' fixes;

https://windowsreport.com/action-cannot-be-completed-because-file-open-another-program/

The common issue is thumbnails, which never applied here. BTW, this also applies to W10 !

Edited by videobruce

Maybe a startup program or service loads a module that stays in the explorer loop of active files. By restarting explorer it releases the inactive files as the startup service or program has stopped in the interim. Of course if one file is used by another program then it or the folder will not be deletable but copy and paste will be available. Any active file will not will not be deletable and if the file relies on registry settings then the registry is linked to the file and reg settings may not be deletable for that file while it is active. I do not have any issues with Win10 x64. Perhaps a program was installed in the Program Files location that should have been installed in the Program Files (x86)? I do not know if it is possible but there should be no 64 bit files in the (x86) folder?

Edited by Goodmaneuver

If you want to have a go at seeing startups then Sysinternals Autoruns would help. I haven't used it myself beyond just tinkering with it but you can switch startups on/off via the interface. I would suspect if you turn off a startup then you would need to reboot to see the effect of not running the startup you switched off.

To use it fully I think you need allow it internet access through your firewall and it's best to "Run as administrator" to launch it.

The download page for Autoruns mentions Sysinternals Process Explorer as being a way to work help work out what process has handles on what file. Never used it but it might help in tracking down the problem - I'd suspect that if you are already using Process Hacker you would be in some way familiar with this..

Sorry I can't be of much direct actual help.

Best to find out if all is OK in safe mode first. Then unnecessary start up programs could be temporally disabled with Codestuff  Starter it might be simpler? I think that Unlocker is ineffective if restarting explorer released the files? You can check the files open in explorer before and after explorer reset. There may be too many to narrow it down but it will give some clues.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I also grabbed that tool, there are so many entries it's kinda hard to separate any of them. Thanks for the guide.

Safe Mode is fine. I tried a number of folders, opening them up, closing and doing minor name changes. None failed. There are 8 or so processes that don't load in Safe Mode. I don't see any that would be of suspect, but I'll try one at a time. :}

Edited by videobruce
added text

All of my startup programs listed in Starter can be disabled in Win7. I have only the monitor color correction tool I put on, - MCW, TV startup, and networking server, - a network to USB adapter. Starter did not list Microsoft startups or AMD video, only MS one listed was the shortcut I made to start up the TV. Most MS startups are services that are listed under services tab with descriptions. I can untick all of the startup programs if I want, make sure all sections is highlighted on the left.

After starting windows, allow it a bit of time, do not start any programs. Then open a problem folder and close. Open Starter, click on process tab then click on explorer.exe in the top view window this should bring up a list of files underneath in the lower window. Click on a file in the explorer list in the bottom window then click on top File tab, there will be a save as HTML or TEXT. HTML looks better but will need browser to look at it. Do the same thing after resetting explorer remember to refresh the starter view with refresh button if it was still running. Compare the two saved files from Starter for files that are missing after explorer reset, this will give the clues to what starts up and prevents the deletion etcetera. Same thing can be done with services that become active before and after.

Edited by Goodmaneuver