The action cant be completed...............

videobruce

I have searched the entire universe (at least it seems that way) for a actual solution more than once to this with absolutely no luck.  The simplest operation; Open folder, examine contents, close folder, then rename fails. Many times even using 'Unlocker'. I did find a very long list of things to try, again most having to do with thumbnails, but no luck there, of course starting with checking those multiple show/don't show thumbnails/icons entries.

In spite of what 95% of the suggestions state (thumbnails issue), just about all of these folders have no thumbnails inside. The only operation that can be done is moving the folder. Delete, cut or rename functions are locked out, half the time even using Unlocker. Never had this in XP. I never see a pattern to this to make matters worse.

WTF is responsible for this beyond lame M$ blunder all all times?? :realmad:

Strange unexplained problem = reinstalling of the OS (that's what I do, of course you can try System Restore - I do - and if you have a disk backup program and one or more images made before the problem occurred it can be very helpful and time saving).

On Σάββατο, 9 Φεβρουαρίου 2019 at 10:17 PM, videobruce said:

It's been there since inception on any W7 PC I have had. Uninstall is out of the question, that's for serious issues, not annoyances.

Then it might just be a bug of Windows 7?:unsure:

I'm on Windows 7 Pro. SP1 x64 and don't have any of the issues you are reporting. Have to say I find it very stable and am quite happy with it. That said, so far, I only have two Microsoft Updates installed to it so I avoid any potential issues with naff Updates.

If it was me I'd image off the system I have. Then do a completely fresh install of Win7 and see if I still have the problem with no Updates installed. (I'm assuming you do update it, of course.)

What error message do you get when you try to rename a folder?

Edited by Radish

Is this a multi-OS system? I would check the permissions to see if there are any strange (sometimes unnamed) accounts with permissions.

Im a hardcore XP user who recently added a win7 to my multiboot, i had lots of problems that sound similar to your experience. It occured when i was trying to access files from xp to 7, or 7 to xp, needing to take ownership, and then things started to bork themselves. XP program files had a damaged "account" as having permissions, i couldnt even install software properly, other software was crashing, until i deleted the "unknown" accounts. Good luck!

Take ownership of the folder, and try again?

Indexing service?

Is this the root folder of a drive?  C drive maybe?  (doesn't Win-7 have a hang up about what it allows you to create or do in the C root?)

On 2/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, HarryTri said:

Then it might just be a bug of Windows 7?:unsure:

Doing a search brings up plenty of hits. Never heard of "Unlocker"?? (There are others.)

On 2/14/2019 at 6:04 PM, Radish said:

I'm on Windows 7 Pro. SP1 x64 and don't have any of the issues you are reporting. Have to say I find it very stable and am quite happy with it. That said, so far, I only have two Microsoft Updates installed to it so I avoid any potential issues with naff Updates. What error message do you get when you try to rename a folder?

The only updates I have are security related up to the middle of 2016 when this base image was created via RT7 Lite. I have never done auto-updates!

All I was doing was renaming a file inside that folder. Sometimes just opening a folder up, doing nothing, this stops renaming or deleting that folder and worse yet many time Unlocker is unable to do the action until next boot.

The action can't be completed.png

Edited by videobruce

On 2/14/2019 at 7:50 PM, vinifera said:

do you have prefetch enabled ?

do .net services work in background while this happen ?

Yes, it shouldn't of been, the O/S is on a SSD. I disabled it.

Not sure to the 2nd question. Was that "do .net" or "dot.net"? I don't see it running in Process Hacker as a service or process, but not sure of the exact name it has.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, MikeyV said:

Is this a multi-OS system? I would check the permissions to see if there are any strange (sometimes unnamed) accounts with permissions.

No to both.

Edited by videobruce

On 2/15/2019 at 6:58 PM, Nomen said:

Take ownership of the folder, and try again?

Indexing service?

Is this the root folder of a drive?  C drive maybe?  (doesn't Win-7 have a hang up about what it allows you to create or do in the C root?)

Never done it, I have full admin rights across the board (by initial design),

it's running AFAIK,

any drive, any partition.

Edited by videobruce

Want to post a list of your installed updates?

wmic qfe list full /format:texttablewsys > "C:\hotfix.txt" (or some other suitable folder)

Even if you don't post it, out of curiosity, do you have kb 958559 installed?

You might want to look at this:

==================

Posted September 20, 2018 (Weird "Item Not Found" Error)

On 9/18/2018 at 7:41 AM, Radish said:

Also found this. You need to read the whole thread. The fix mentioned there isn't discovered till Page 2:
https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/81527-need-help-unable-rename-move-folders.html

The long and the short of what is being suggested there is that update KB980408 is the culprit. They do though propose a fix, see "HellGates" post.

Here is the list, nothing even remotely close to that number.

Thanks for the link. I'm surprised I didn't find that thou the title of the thread isn't close to what the error message was which is what I based my searches on.

I assume this gets C/P to a command line? I tried it as it more than once, but nothing was created;

wmic qfe list full /format:texttablewsys > "C:\hotfix.txt"

Security updates list 1210 thru 0315.txt

Edited by videobruce

Is your OS x64? Your problem should not exist especially from the start, does it happen in safe mode? Can you delete just after a reboot by just left clicking once then pressing delete key?

Malware settings can be transferred from one active drive to another. Just happened to me on win10 cannot access web after booting up with old vista drive present on another sata port that had web access problem. Removed vista drive, problem has transferred. Malware like to take ownership of parts of the registry now with newer operating systems. When you said it has always been the case is there a possibility that another drive infected the install drives, there may be a hangup from an old antivirus program.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

• 4 weeks later...

As a follow up to my post above. The problem was the auto IP configuration logged onto an internet address similar to 169.xxx.252.xxx, I can not remember. It was pingable from the Win10 machine only. No local addresses were pingable. I manually configured the local gateway address, DNS server address (gateway), settup a fixed IP address and turned off IPv6. This had no effect on the problem, still could not ping any local addresses, but at least it was not connected to that web address. I tried an off-line anti-virus program and windows defender, no threats found. After a weeks grace where I did not have the machine turned on, the problem was not there anymore. I left my manual settings as they were.