media.resume-bkgnd-video-on-tabhover — false
plugins.favorfallback.mode — never
plugins.favorfallback.rules — delete
plugins.flashBlock.enabled — false
plugin.state.flash — 0

vlc368.jpg

• 5 months later...

On 4/18/2020 at 6:48 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Just remember that Waterfox has been purchase by a search/advertising company, so even there I'd be weary of its future.

Frankly, with the downhill slide of Firefox into the valley of perdition (and Mozilla Mothership's edict to disable the brakes), I'm wary of the future of any/all Firefox derivatives. As each hustle to include Firefox's 'latest&greatest' code into their versions, they must become as noxious as it. Mypal has already begun to imitate Firefox's plethora of freezes, crashes, and failures to close. I see no big improvement in the trust factor of Firefox over Waterfox. Having gone through the about:config contents of Firefox, it is probable (if not likely) they are in bed with Google. Add in their numerous other ill choices:

https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/mozilla.html

...and their current sorry state of affairs becomes not only very understandable, but their future quite predictable:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/endangered-firefox-the-state-of-mozilla/

While it's true Waterfox is no more easily trusted than Firefox, for me the deciding factor (for now at least) is the legacy addons that Waterfox allows, vs the gawd-awful web extensions that Firefox demands. I had not liked Firefox for at least several years, but the addons made that bitter pill a little easier to choke down, and the browser somewhat tolerable. With Mozilla's imperious decree to sabotage the addons en masse, and forced replacement by the web extensions junk, I'm fresh out of excuses to stick with Firefox, and said excuses will not be restocked. Time to move on, as there are better options available. Not sure is Waterfox is better or not, but it's surely no worse.

1 minute ago, trimis said:

Frankly, with the downhill slide of Firefox into the valley of perdition (and Mozilla Mothership's edict to disable the brakes), I'm wary of the future of any/all Firefox derivatives. As each hustle to include Firefox's 'latest&greatest' code into their versions, they must become as noxious as it. Mypal has already begun to imitate Firefox's plethora of freezes, crashes, and failures to close. I see no big improvement in the trust factor of Firefox over Waterfox. Having gone through the about:config contents of Firefox, it is probable (if not likely) they are in bed with Google. Add in their numerous other ill choices:

...and their current sorry state of affairs becomes not only very understandable, but their future quite predictable:

While it's true Waterfox is no more easily trusted than Firefox, for me the deciding factor (for now at least) is the legacy addons that Waterfox allows, vs the gawd-awful web extensions that Firefox demands. I had not liked Firefox for at least several years, but the addons made that bitter pill a little easier to choke down, and the browser somewhat tolerable. With Mozilla's imperious decree to sabotage the addons en masse, and forced replacement by the web extensions junk, I'm fresh out of excuses to stick with Firefox, and said excuses will not be restocked. Time to move on, as there are better options available. Not sure is Waterfox is better or not, but it's surely no worse.

Using Waterfox Classic right now, it's a bit slow, but legacy extensions work great

10 minutes ago, trimis said:

It's been some time since I've posted that.  I now use Waterfox G3 quite happily.

8 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

It's been some time since I've posted that.  I now use Waterfox G3 quite happily.

Glad to hear Waterfox is working out for you. I have had only minimal experience with it on MX Linux, but liked it a whole lot better than Firefox, and definitely will install it on Win 7 Pro. Speaking of which, as an advocate for Win 7 on the xpforums site, I hope you will stick around on msfn, as it is safe to predict I will be needing help and advice in my transition to this OS.

I'm running FF v56. I also have V70 due to my POS bank making changes not allowing me to log into their site. I get some "not available" message BS.

Craigslist works, but I don't see the thumbnails of the items on the pages with the ads for the items for sale.

Also, I discovered ResellerRattings.com doesn't work at all. I only get a completely blank page when I navigate there (no log in). The same goes for Seamonkey v249 and Palemoon v28. Any idea on what the deal is with that??

I would move to v70 completely, but I hate the 'Tab bar" being above the page. The method to move it where I feel it should be (by past practice) is complicated that I don't fully understand since I haven't found a detailed step by step procedure. These guys seem to think just because they understand how to, everyone else should.  :realmad: :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm running Win7 Pro x64 on my Tower (4 years old) & Laptop (10 years old), both of which I'm reasonably happy with.

On 1/10/2021 at 3:53 AM, videobruce said:

I'm running FF v56. I also have V70 due to my POS bank making changes not allowing me to log into their site. I get some "not available" message BS.

Craigslist works, but I don't see the thumbnails of the items on the pages with the ads for the items for sale.

Also, I discovered ResellerRattings.com doesn't work at all. I only get a completely blank page when I navigate there (no log in). The same goes for Seamonkey v249 and Palemoon v28. Any idea on what the deal is with that??

I would move to v70 completely, but I hate the 'Tab bar" being above the page. The method to move it where I feel it should be (by past practice) is complicated that I don't fully understand since I haven't found a detailed step by step procedure. These guys seem to think just because they understand how to, everyone else should.  :realmad: :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm running Win7 Pro x64 on my Tower (4 years old) & Laptop (10 years old), both of which I'm reasonably happy with.

Waterfox Classic is 56 with some modifications that make it more compatible with newer websites, so it's worth trying.

Edited by asdf2345

11 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Waterfox Classic is 56 with some modifications that make it more compatible with newer websites, do it's worth trying.

When I moved from Windows XP x64 to Windows 7 x64, I also moved to Waterfox Classic.  It has been working well for me.

1 minute ago, videobruce said:

I did a fast search, edited my post.

That's quite old, Pale Moon hasn't been 38 based in years, Waterfox has two versions, one based off of 56, and one based off of 78.

It's basically fearmongering about security.

I use the latest https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/85.0/win32/

Yes, 32bit on a W7 64bit-System (bit more ''strechy'' on my USB-Tethering-Connection)

Plus some USER.JS modifications and Profiles with different Privacy Settings and Add-Ons.

Plus ESR for some Websites https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/78.7.0esr/

Edited by e-t-c

• 2 weeks later...

78esr up to the most recent nightly work well for me on Win 7 but that's because of xiaoxiaoflood's project that has let me install three of my favorite and most needed legacy addons:

Custom buttons
Keyconfig
Downthemall

Without those Quantum probably wouldn't see the light of day. As it is I use roytam's 52 UXP quite often, mainly for the addons so I could just use only that if need be.