What is best Firefox version for Win-7?

Nomen

On 2/6/2019 at 6:12 AM, Nomen said:

But I find this 45.9.0 version horrible.  It doesn't render the content of some pages - it leaves big black sections that I can make to appear if I drag the FF window off-screen and bring back on-screen.

which web sites have this problem, Nomen? (post the links to the sites)

That sounds familiar. I had this issue quite a bit once Firefox updated to this version (61.0.1) AND I was in an inefficient video memory situation. After remedying that situation, the black sections seen on scroll had gone away, since I am still using that version now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 4:15 PM, Nomen said:

I tried installing it.  It says it's not compatible with FF 39.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:28 PM, Mathwiz said:

Classic Add-Ons Archive is for FF 45 - 56 (also Pale Moon 27 - 28).

Sorry, just assumed it would work. Either way, the .xpi files in the profile folder in the extensions sub-folder should be transferable. The .xpi file can be drag-and-dropped on the Firefox's window to trigger installation process.

Most of my machines are still running XP; 

but I now have two machines running win7,

along with Roytam's Firefox-derived, XP-capable, 32bit browsers.

I sooo enjoy being able to customize :)

For New Moon 27 (Tycho) and New Moon 28 (UXP)

you can see add-ons here:

http://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/

For Serpent (UXP)

https://addons.basilisk-browser.org/extensions/

For me, these are now the best 'Firefox' versions... lol

http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/

Edited by taos

One note about Serpent, which I too use on Win 7. Serpent actually supports more extensions than the Basilisk browser from which it was derived.

The Web site below....

On 3/17/2019 at 6:03 PM, taos said:

For Serpent (UXP)

https://addons.basilisk-browser.org/extensions/

... only lists extensions compatible with Basilisk, which use the "legacy" (pre-WebExtensions) API. You can also check addons.mozilla.org for add-ons compatible with Firefox 52 ESR that use the WebExtensions API; these add-ons will also work with Serpent.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Serpent actually supports more extensions than the Basilisk browser...

check addons.mozilla.org for add-ons compatible with Firefox 52 ESR that use the WebExtensions API;

these add-ons will also work with Serpent.

That's good to know.  Thank you :)

I have tried SeaMonkey & Pale Moon. Both are missing critical features that FF v56 has, namely print preview (w/PM), 'Simplify page" (w/both) and/or the lack of navigation button add-ons . BUT, they are superior to FF with far less overhead taxing (loading down) the O/S with multiple processes running, even with setting a limit to one process. There are still three running!

This is a screen shot from ProcessHacker after less than 1 minute after starting FF with only one page open (which is just a login for a stock market trading site). (The 3 last columns are I/O counts of Other, Reads & Writes counts). Compare that with Palemoon & SeaMonkey with the same page loaded! (Palemoon is a portable also, just not from Portable Applications web site)

Firefox process hog.png

Palemoon processes.png

SeaMonkey processes.png

Edited by videobruce
corrected text

On 3/23/2019 at 3:20 AM, videobruce said:

I have tried SeaMonkey & Pale Moon. Both are missing critical features that FF v56 has, namely print preview, 'Simplify page" and/or the lack of navigation button add-ons . BUT, they are superior to FF with far less overhead taxing (loading down) the O/S with multiple processes running, even with setting a limit to one process. There are still three running!

you are wrong about the "print preview" feature, videobruce.

I have the Print Preview options available in both Seamonkey and Pale Moon.  I'm not sure what versions of Seamonkey and Palemoon are you using but I'm using the latest ones of those (or at least the Seamonkey versions that WG9S have on his web site)

Edited by erpdude8

I made a error with SM, that does have PP, PM v28 only goes directly to a print dialog pop-up. What version PM do you have and where did you get it?

I have no idea what/who that guy is. I got both browsers from the respective websites.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml

Edited by videobruce

• 3 months later...

Like others here, on my Win7 64bit machine I use FF v56 and even that is not perfect with certain legacy addons - at some point even before v56 the download manager: DownLoadThemAll which I've used for years the GUI stopped displaying as well as did with earlier versions but was still. OK.

Classic Theme Restorer (obviously still very popular) is now shown as disabled and can't be launched from the Tools menu. I miss it a lot.

Strangely Adblock Plus though shown as disabled is still working and although you can not use Favicon Customiser any more the new icons I had applied before it was disabled still work.

DownloadThemAll displays OK and is usable in later FF versions than v56 but far from ideal and was the main reason I went back to v56 on that machine.

What I use now, and kept up to date as an alternative is the portable addition of Waterfox, an excellent FF spin off. Although it still has the later FF like GUI display issues with DownLoadThemAll all the other extensions work pretty much as intended. At times I forget I'm not using FF.

Edited by WalksInSilence