Internet Explorer 11 will be available for Windows 8!!

yoltboy01

• they must have changed something under the hood recently, previous I only partially got edge to work but it alwasy reverted to software acceleration, etc....now this new version runs great with full hardware acceleration! I am impressed

Typing from Edge Portable right now.  Very VERY fast.  All I wish I could do now is:

(a) set tabs below the address bar

(b) change load characteristics and rendering delay (akin to content.timer and nglayout.initialpaintdelay settings in Firefox)

On 4/17/2019 at 7:16 AM, Jody Thornton said:

Back on topic for a second, the IE 11 download for Server 2012 is NOT working on Windows 8 for me anyway.  I have removed IE 10 using the Add/Remove Components back when I installed my system, so maybe that's why it didn't work  :(

that's not the only reason, Jody.

if you read MS support KB article 4492872 about IE11 for Server 2012 / Windows Embedded 8 Standard:

Prerequisites

Before you install this update, you must do either of the following:

Install KB4486474 or KB4487025.

Install the latest cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 10 or the latest monthly rollup for Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard.

need to install at least any of the Feb. 2019 updates for Win8/Server 2012 or newer before attempting to install IE11 (and restore the IE10 feature from Add/Remove Components).

edit: unlike the IE11 downloads for Win7 SP1 / Server 2008 R2 SP1 which are in EXE files, the IE11 downloads for Win8 are packaged in MSU files

Edited by erpdude8

8 minutes ago, erpdude8 said:

that's not the only reason, Jody.

if you read MS support KB article 4492872 about IE11 for Server 2012 / Windows Embedded 8 Standard:

need to install at least any of the Feb. 2019 updates for Win8/Server 2012 or newer before attempting to install IE11 (and restore the IE10 feature from Add/Remove Components).

edit: unlike the IE11 downloads for Win7 SP1 / Server 2008 R2 SP1 which are in EXE files, the IE11 downloads for Win8 are packaged in MSU files

Yeppers - I learned since that's not the reason .... but .....

Are you saying that if I restore IE 10, and then install a February 2019 security rollup - I CAN upgrade to IE 11?

For real?

I have installed the latest IE10 rollup, so it sounds like (from your description) all I need to do is restore IE10 (which would mean that my first reason is actually in part - true after all)

Edited by Jody Thornton

like duh (I mean yes) Jody

that's why I don't remove IE10 - the MSU package needs to update some IE files to version 11 and if they're not present then IE11 won't get installed

I'm gonna try installing IE11 (KB4492872) on my relative's old HP a6050y desktop PC running Win8.0 Pro and see how it goes - it already has the April 2019 rollup (KB4493451) so I don't need the Feb. 2019 updates

Edited by erpdude8

Yeah you can say "duh", but I did say that I thought the upgrade did not work because I "removed" IE10, but you said that was not the reason - in part, it actually WAS the reason.

Besides (i response to your "duh" thing again), there have been times where something seems clear, but wasn't the intended explanation, so I double and triple check now.

See, I updated the core OS up to only November 2017, but I've always installed the IE10 updates.  Even with it removed, the DLLs, libraries and Trident rendering agent are still present.  So as long as the borwser is restored, it should install. I'll check it out, but if you have a VM you can play with, I'd like to hear your results first.

Thanks for the info.  :)

Jody, I don't use VMs because I have older machines that can't reliably support VMs

I install Win8.0 natively on an old HP computer (2007 model using an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 cpu) w/ Win8.0 Pro that my relative has but lives in a different street than my family.

greenhillmaniac did say a few days ago that installation of IE11 does not work on Win8.0 clients (I just confirmed this yesterday; tried extracting the CAB file from the KB4492872 MSU file and using dism.exe to install on my relatives Win8 Pro computer but failed with an error message).  Looks like KB4492872 really does check for either Server 2012 or Win8 Embedded being used and blocks install on normal or "client" versions of Win8.  NBD (no big deal) for me since I hardly use IE on Win8.0

9 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

I'd wait a while until Edge for Win8 goes RTM/final

Actually it's running damned stable.

What I want to know is that the portable version I extracted, are there new builds being issued in that format?  Was that version "Canary" or "Developer"?

https://www.upload.ee/files/9839860/MSEdgePortable_75.0.132.0.paf.exe.html