Internet Explorer 11 will be available for Windows 8!!

yoltboy01

Hey guys! As many sources already announced it, Microsoft will update Internet Explorer 10 to Internet Explorer 11 on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8. If that happens, IE11 can also be installed on Windows 8 because they have the same build number (9200). At least backporting will be easy

https://www.osnews.com/story/129296/bringing-internet-explorer-11-to-windows-server-2012-and-windows-embedded-8-standard/

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Stefan43 said:

It seems like Microsoft Edge (The version based on Chromium) is also coming to Windows 8!

You can already use the Windows 10 version they're offering to install on any (supported) Windows version you want. Just find a way to download the installer.

paGdltN.png

Edited by greenhillmaniac

long time lurker here, just wanted to say that this edge installs and runs fine on windows 8.1

HOWEVER on 8.0, it is totally different :( it will install but everytime I try to open it, I only get a black (blank) screen, even running under 7 compatibility mode, I do not know if this is only happening to me but just my 2 cents 

9 hours ago, jeff69dini said:

long time lurker here, just wanted to say that this edge installs and runs fine on windows 8.1

HOWEVER on 8.0, it is totally different :( it will install but everytime I try to open it, I only get a black (blank) screen, even running under 7 compatibility mode, I do not know if this is only happening to me but just my 2 cents 

Ouch!  I hope IE 11 will work for Server 2012.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:17 AM, Jody Thornton said:

Ouch!  I hope IE 11 will work for Server 2012.

btw great news! the most recent canary build of edge works fantastic on 8!!!

Edited by jeff69dini

I just wish it would run on Windows RT.  I'm happy with Firefox Quantum on Windows 8, but for the Surface tablet, IE 11 is sooooooo slow!  I wonder if an RT compilation of Chromium based Edge would improve it.

26 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

I just wish it would run on Windows RT.  I'm happy with Firefox Quantum on Windows 8, but for the Surface tablet, IE 11 is sooooooo slow!  I wonder if an RT compilation of Chromium based Edge would improve it.

They are porting Chromium to ARM64 so it'll work with Windows 10 on ARM. Recompiling that to ARM32 would require some knowledge of the instruction set, I'd speculate: https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-and-google-are-working-together-to-bring-chrome-to-windows-on-arm

Firefox also works on ARM64 with the latest dev versions: https://www.windowscentral.com/mozilla-releases-first-nightly-build-firefox-windows-10-arm

Now Edge was natively a UWP application, right?  So on Windows 8, does Edge Canary work in Metro, or as a desktop application?