YouTube stopped working on Chromium 54

FranceBB

Hi,

this is just to inform you that YouTube no longer works on Chromium 54 as the pages don't load correctly.

If you try to load a video by using a direct link, however, it works, so embedded links will probably work.

I tested YouTube with Firefox 52.9.1 ESR and it works fine, so it seems that only Chromium 54 is affected.

YouTube Main Page (Chromium 54):

jOFbi2Q.png

YouTube Channel (Chromium 54):

gA2TPc9.png

YouTube Video (Chromium 54):

a7c2zbM.png

(personal note on "don't let labour kill brexit": I'm a remainer).

YouTube Main Page (Firefox 52.9.1):

SRNfHev.jpg

YouTube video (Firefox 52.9.1):

xLgUsq1.png

As you can see, on Firefox everything is displayed correctly, but on Chromium 54 it isn't, which is sad 'cause I generally use Chromium 54 spoofing it as Chromium 71 ("C:\Program Files\Advanced Chrome\chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3554.0 Safari/537.36").

This is another major website to drop support for Chromium 54...

Anyway, since Chromium 54 was no longer supported, I started wondering about all the people that are still using Internet Explorer and guess what? It works:

tAfFkbx.png

xSjVzn6.png

In other words, Google does offer you a different/legacy version of YouTube if you are running Internet Explorer and it works.

Even K-Meleon (which is based on Firefox afaik) is actually able to display YouTube, so it really seems that the only browser that it's not able to load it correctly anymore is Chromium 54, which is not such a big deal as I can use other browsers, but still, it's another website that doesn't work correctly in what is now considered a really outdated browser.

Edited by FranceBB

Still related to Chromium 54, Lloyds Bank now has some display issues; the left column is displayed at the bottom, after the current account and the (eventual) saving account instead of on the left.

It works fine on Firefox 52.9.1 ESR.

Off topic, but I use Lloyds online banking with Firefox 52.9.0 ESR, and I've noticed recently that when I log off I just get a blank white page.
Adblock Plus is disabled.
Have you noticed that?
:dubbio:

Nope, it actually prompts me to the "you have successfully log off" page (Ublock origin enabled):

xSINSuk.png

Funny how it offered me a 40% discount for home insurance via email... as if I owned a home...

Edited by FranceBB

Yes, that's exactly what I used to get, but suddenly a few weeks ago I just started getting a blank white page when I logged off, with a horizontal page boundary line on it if I scroll, but no content.
If I refresh it, it goes back to the logon page.
Very strange!
:)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 7:12 AM, someguy25 said:

Proof that its working fine for me:

http://prntscr.com/mf3gep

I realised what I screwed up in the code and I fixed it. (I managed to brick my own Chromium 54 fork).

I do still have a few graphical issues, like the fact that the player is not perfectly centered, but that's not such a big deal.

jaPr0Z8.jpg

If you are wondering why I didn't release it and it's not public as executable, that's only because it's buggy experiment gone wrong, most of the time.

Anyway, talking about YouTube, led to some interesting findings about IE8 (and IE9):