Microsoft is bringing IE11 to Windows server 2012

NojusK

You will have until January 2020 to complete the transition from Internet Explorer 10 (IE10) to IE11.

So they basically want to kill off both IE9 (with Server 2008's EOL) and IE10 at once... understandable. Also I think that @Jody Thornton may find it useful since he's using regular Windows 8 (if that version of IE11 can be installed on regular 8 that is).

Edited by Tamris

5 minutes ago, Tamris said:

So they basically want to kill off both IE9 (with Server 2008's EOL) and IE10 at once... understandable. Also I think that @Jody Thornton may find it useful since he's using regular Windows 8 (if that version of IE11 can be installed on regular 8 that is).

I had actually asked about that previously.  Mind you, two things:  I think IE10 for Server 2012 will be patched until October 2023.  Also, I've removed IE 10, and still install the updates for IE10, just so that the Trident engine is kept updated.  However, I use Firefox ESR Quantum 60

4 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

I think IE10 for Server 2012 will be patched until October 2023.

Well, literally the next thing they wrote is:

After this (Jan 2020), we will not release any security or non-security updates, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content changes for IE10.

Maybe I should've pasted both sentences in my last post, but oh well.

Edited by Tamris

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IE11 is now available for Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8.0 Embedded users! :D From the OP's link:

Updated 4/16/2019:

Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard customers can now begin using Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) in their test environments or pilot rings by downloading “Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Server 2012 for x64 based systems,” “Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Embedded 8 Standard for x64 based systems," or "Internet Explorer 11 for Windows Embedded 8 Standard for x86 based systems” from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

Download IE11 here: Server 2012 x64 (scroll down toward the bottom)  Windows 8 Embedded (go to the third page and scroll down to the bottom for the download)

Edited by WinClient5270

So far it says "Not applicable to my computer" on Windows 8.  Now I have removed IE 10 using the Add/Remove Components.  I will try restoring it back, and seeing if that allows me to upgrade.  I hope so.

If anyone has IE 10 intact on Windows 8 and tries to upgrade to IE 11, does it work?

(Just tried the Embedded 8 version - still no go)

Edited by Jody Thornton
Update !!!!

On 4/17/2019 at 7:10 AM, Jody Thornton said:

So far it says "Not applicable to my computer" on Windows 8.  Now I have removed IE 10 using the Add/Remove Components.  I will try restoring it back, and seeing if that allows me to upgrade.  I hope so.

If anyone has IE 10 intact on Windows 8 and tries to upgrade to IE 11, does it work?

(Just tried the Embedded 8 version - still no go)

sorry Jody.  IE11 requires a native Windows Server 2012 or Embedded Win8 version - installation is blocked on normal / client versions of Win8 (MS seemed to be smart on that one in only allowing install of IE11 on Win8 Embedded & Server 2012)

Edited by erpdude8

12 hours ago, Destro said:

It should run on normal win 8 if it was possible to get it to install.

See that's what I would have thought. or if I could take all of the files from the update and replace the IE10 files, then it would.

I really don't care to run IE11, and I would have removed it from Windows 8 components (just like I do with IE 10 currently).  But I wanted the Trident engine to be updated, and that is still left behind when you "remove" IE.

no its probably just paramaters in one of the installer files that explicitly says do not install on win 8.  If you can modify that it would go.  I haven't really looked at it.  But I have modded alot of MSI files with orca before and got them to run on XP or other OS that its not supposed to.  But I don't know anything about IE 11 installer.

4 hours ago, Destro said:

no its probably just paramaters in one of the installer files that explicitly says do not install on win 8.  If you can modify that it would go.  I haven't really looked at it.  But I have modded alot of MSI files with orca before and got them to run on XP or other OS that its not supposed to.  But I don't know anything about IE 11 installer.

The IE11 install is offered as a regular Windows Update. In order to modify it we would need to resign the modified .mum files so that Windows 8.0 would be contemplated in them. This, unfortunately, requires access to Microsoft's tools to do so, something we just don't have at our disposal.

and there you have it folks - no IE11 on normal Win8.0 unless the .mum files can be properly modified

note that the IE11 packages for Win8 Embedded / Server 2012 are either CAB or MSU files (not MSI, Destro)

anyways MS will continue to provide updates to IE10 until Jan. 31, 2020 as noted here.

*Internet Explorer (IE) 10 will reach end of support on January 31, 2020. From this point forward, IE 11 will be the only supported version of Internet Explorer on Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard. IE 11 is now available for piloting via Microsoft Update Catalog.