Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 9: Windows Vista

sdfox7

I recently came into possession of a Dell Inspiron 1420 in excellent condition. I restored Windows Vista to factory settings and installed SP2 and Internet Explorer 9.

Are you aware Internet Explorer cumulative updates for Server 2008 can still be installed on Vista? It doesn't require any hacks either. I installed KB4480965 for January 2019 (9.0.125) and it didn't complain.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4480965/cumulative-security-update-for-internet-explorer ( I downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog here)

ie9vista.png

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows Vista, sdfox7. :hello: Certainly anyone who follows Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista is aware that the cumulative updates for IE9 are compatible with Vista, although we probably have members and visitors who haven't bothered with all that,

Did you get Windows Update to deliver all the post-SP2 updates for Vista as explained here? IE9 kinda needs Platform Update, and there were circa 200 security updates.

As you know from your expertise with XP, it is possible to add support for TLS 1.1 and 1.2. VistaLover wrote a tutorial: Enabling TLS 1.1/1.2 support in Vista's Internet Explorer 9 . However, if that Inspiron is running Vista x64, then VistaLover's instructions might be missing something (see here).

Thanks for the info. Yes, this is my first wade into Windows Vista since this computer came from the factory with it. I think Windows XP will always be my favorite, with Windows 7 a close second.

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 10:21 AM, sdfox7 said:

I recently came into possession of a Dell Inspiron 1420 in excellent condition. I restored Windows Vista to factory settings and installed SP2 and Internet Explorer 9.

Are you aware Internet Explorer cumulative updates for Server 2008 can still be installed on Vista? It doesn't require any hacks either. I installed KB4480965 for January 2019 (9.0.125) and it didn't complain.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4480965/cumulative-security-update-for-internet-explorer ( I downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog here)

a little late in responding to this but here's the "applicability info" I extracted from the IE9-Windows6.0-KB4480965-x86-pkgProperties.txt file inside the MSU file:

Applies to="Windows 6.0"
Build Date="2018/12/18"
Company="Microsoft Corporation"
File Version="1"
Installation Type="FULL"
Installer Engine="Component Based Servicing - WUSA.exe"
Installer Version="6.0.0.0"
KB Article Number="4480965"
Language="ALL"
Package Type="Security Update"
Processor Architecture="x86"
Product Name="Windows 6.0"
Support Link="http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=4480965"

updates to IE9 for Server 2008 SP2 (and Vista SP2) continues until Server 2008 EOL which is Jan. 14, 2020.

Edited by erpdude8

On 1/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Did you get Windows Update to deliver all the post-SP2 updates for Vista as explained here? IE9 kinda needs Platform Update...

Since this thread is now back on top anyway, it has recently come to my attention that the IE9 Standalone does install the Graphics, Imaging, and XPS component of Platform Update (KB971512) and also Platform Update Supplement (KB2117917). In the good old days when Windows Update functioned normally, IE9 was not delivered until after Platform Update (all four components) was installed.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:36 PM, jumper said:

Are KB971512 and KB2117917 two of those four, or in addition to the four?

KB971512 is one of those four, but KB2117917 (Supplement) is in addition to the four. I gave myself a refresher course on Platform Update in connection with difficulties installing Kodi 17.6, which includes screenshots. IE9 has specific prerequisites; but for the Standalone Installer (which I presume that OP sdfox7 used), the only prerequisite is SP2 because it includes the others. I believe KB971512 was also needed for official Pale Moon 27 and Slimjet 12.

Edit: Microsoft link I decided to add in July 2019 is broken in August 2020. :angry:

Edited by Vistapocalypse
delete now-broken link I once added