Screen icons refresh when opening explorer / browsing drive

Nomen

Maybe this is an old / legacy thing or maybe I'm the only one who sees this.  I've got a fair amount of icons on my win98se desktop.  Every time I open explorer (my computer) and select a drive, the contents of the drive will be displayed, and I might start scrolling down to a folder of interest, but in 1 or 2 seconds the screen does some sort of refresh where the explorer view is set back to the top of where I was scrolling and all the icons on the screen go through a wave of being re-drawn.   After that, I can scroll down again and select the folder I want, and continue to explore other folders, and I don't see this screen refresh again.  It only happens the first time I open explorer and start browsing a drive.  Is there any way to stop this behavior?

Accessing a drive is causing an update to both something on the drive and something on your desktop. Things to consider:

* Active Desktop
* shortcuts to drives on desktop
* viewmode of drives' root folders
* custom folder settings
* desktop color depth
* shelliconcache settings
* Advanced Graphics hardware acceleration setting
* Config.sys accdate settings

DMABufferSize in 386 section of system.ini was already set to 64 kb.

In device manager under disk controllers I see that I have a problem with the Secondary Ultra ATA controller.  It say the device is either not present, not working properly, or have all the drivers installed.  This is the 4'th (and last) item listed under hard disk controllers.  I have only 1 IDE drive in the system,  and nothing is connected to the second IDE port - I assume that's what the secondary ATA controller is for?  The first item is Intel 82801DB Ultra ATA storage controller - 24CB, the second item is Primary Ultra ATA controller, the third item is Realtek USB disk controller.  Those 3 items are showing ok.  The realtek driver is for a drive-bay multi-card reader.

I go to the secondary controller properties and select Update Driver.  It finds 2 INF candidates - one is the original win-98 mshdc.inf and the other is intelata.inf (dated 10-15-2002).  I select that one.  It then asks for iata98.cat.  I have two - 7/6/2001 (1 kb) and 10/30/2000 (8kb).  I guess I should have one dated 2002?  I select the 2000 one.  It's happy with that, and finishes the install.  Wants me to restart.  I restart - and I don't have the problem any more (see first post).  I go to device manage, and see that there is no issue with the Secondary Ultra ATA controller, but now there is an issue with the realtek USB controller (either not present, not working properly, or does not have all drivers installed).

I look at driver details, and it says it's using intelata.mpd (october 2002) and ios.vxd.  I have a 9/13/2000 version of intelata.mpd.  I boot into dos and swap the files - but windows doesn't start with the '2000 version.  I swap it back.  With the realtek controller showing a problem, I can't access the multi-card reader.  If I fix this Realtek USB controller issue (by reinstalling driver) it works, but I'm back to having an issue with the Secondary UltraATA controller.  The realtek now shows it's using rtport.pdr instead of intelata.mpd. 

So at this point, the problem I described in the first post is gone, the multi-card reader is working, device manager says there is a problem with Secondary UltraATA controller (which doesn't bother me).  Oh, one other thing - and I think I noticed this before I did any of this.  Bring up file explorer, right click on any drive.  I get a "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" message.  Details say invalid page fault in Kernel32.dll.  If I dismiss the error, the message goes away, explorer does NOT close, and the right-click context menu appears as if nothing happened.

@Nomen: Explorer set to win95 settings might fix the right click on drive problem and it is good to see you have fixed the refresh problem. It is not easy to get fully functioning hardware as well. Faulty hardware not toggling all pins if that is the right terminology, effects other hardware driven from the same motherboard chip. The amount of memory available for DMA can be too small in my experience, have to read my other posts.

If readers have a go with my suggestions then if the video buffer has to be refreshed it will happen so fast you won't notice it. Have a complete working drive backup before attempting changes. msvcr80 vs 8.0.40607.52 framework supplied in Longhorn 5048 renamed as msvcrt is better but _getdrives has to be directed to crtdll for instance or DrvInfo in the attachment for more speed. The advantage is, 40607 has 1367 functions and gives a better frame rate. Disadvantages are it does not contain these important functions; (?name@type_info@@QBEPBDXZ); (__CxxFrameHandler3);. The OS system files mainly have no problem & safe mode friendly but these libraries do not like 40607; wbemcomn; avformat-lav-58. Implicit modules from program that do not run with 40607 need also directing to 31113 hence the 2 files. (Warning there are more files, at least 50% of all executables, this is only experimental, It will break across RAM until fixed & may cross-link files so use WinMerge to check if necessary: - it is not 100% fool proof so if OS says error a particular file then swap it.) Can place 40607 in folder of program to test it & profile program with Dependency Walker. The actual libraries at fault could be tricky to find but profiling with DW usually will find ones which have error at 700F. If stack overflow error at 110D occurs then a separate copy of 31113 can be given in program's folder. (8.0.31113.25 tested as msvcrt.dll in Win2K). I am running with the idea for the reason Nomen has suggested here and for Opera12.02 and for gaming: - much better. If booting up and errors occur do not push through too much because errors will be passed on to the next loaded program because of memory overlap & eventually a system restore may be necessary. Take note of the error and deal with it from a different boot drive. Some device drivers will look at the resources and install, they look OK in device manager but do not work necessarily.

Game test done on "Glory of the Roman Empire" judging frame rate by eye using a single core Pentium 2.8 and a Quadro FX3000 (FX5900 Ultra). With 31113 about 1 fps with 40607 about 4fps. Most nVidia cards do not make shadows work on this game using win9x. My Quadro FX3000 works, very difficult to get a good card. ATI cards did not have this issue from what I can remember? The speed improvement seemed to stay after going back to 31113.

There has been an update see here and further on. https://msfn.org/board/topic/152471-kernelex-apps-compatibility-list-new/?do=findComment&comment=1194308

Edited by Goodmaneuver
StrikeThrough does not occur with update.