Mozilla Firefox 52.9.1 ESR Works on Windows XP

sdfox7

I'd like to know the difference between 52.9.1 and 52.9.0, so I checked from https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-esr52/pushloghtml/1

to https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-esr52/pushloghtml/8

Firefox related changes are all like

ffxbld — No bug, Automated blocklist update | No bug, Automated HPKP preload list update | No bug, Automated HSTS preload list update from host bld-linux64...

Except one:

Mihai Tabara — Bug 1471223 - have automation update firefox-sha1-ssl bouncer entry too. r=rail a=release

And that Bug 1471223 seems trivial: as I understand it's for firefox-sha1-ssl version (don't know exactly what that version is for) not auto-update to latest  52.9 version correctly.

Maybe that's why Mozilla did not release it. No need to update at all. Yet I have downloaded and run it, I'll keep using it.

• 1 month later...

Strange observances with FF 52.9.1 ESR...

* on the Troubleshooting Information page (Help > Troubleshooting Information), most entries are blank.
* opening Troubleshooting Information causes the firefox.exe process to not be released from memory after Firefox is closed.
* on one occasion, I had a crash leaving the Troubleshooting Information page open.

*** EDIT ***

Nevermind.  This is caused by me using junction links for Firefox's appdata folders.  Apparantly Firefox doesn't like that too much once there are addons installed.

Edited by Tomcat76

27 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

Have just tested the language files from the Firefox version 52.9.0 in version 52.9.1 successfully.
Download from the Firefox version 52.9.0 language files and
download the Simple Locale Switcher (v 1.0.2).

FFLang.jpg

Note:
Maybe these files should also be backed up.

:)

wonder if this works on Serpent :)

Not yet, but I have downloaded the necessary files.
I'll have a go with them later this evening, I'm working in Windows 10 at the moment! :whistle:
I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm very optimistic that it will be fine.
Having the interface in US English isn't the end of the world for me of course, but if it's possible to get 52.9.1 to be in British English that will be really good, even if it needs another extension installed to do it.
EDIT: I've now installed 52.9.1 with the language pack and the locale switcher.
All seems to be working fine!
:thumbup

Edited by Dave-H
Update

On 3/29/2019 at 9:16 PM, heinoganda said:

Have just tested the language files from the Firefox version 52.9.0 in version 52.9.1 successfully.
Download from the Firefox version 52.9.0 language files and
download the Simple Locale Switcher (v 1.0.2).

FFLang.jpg

Note:
Maybe these files should also be backed up.

Very good. I've manually installed both .xpi and despite the Simple Locale Switcher doesn't work (it doesn't even appear!) now the interface is fine localized. TY so much.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:22 PM, Dave-H said:

Having the interface in US English isn't the end of the world for me of course

I know also for me, but in some context (re-use of old machines, educational etc.) you can't think only for yourself, but have to targetting approach.

Nowadays an XP environment is still the most comfortable way to let people uneducated (often not so young) embrace basic informatic skills; adding language issue can increase the wall.

• 1 month later...