Is it possible to get Adobe Reader DC working on Windows XP?

NojusK

Hello again,i use to view pdf's a lot,but the last version of adobe reader for xp is slow and outdated...I tried sumatra pdf but that is not really good for me.I would like to know if its possible to get a more upto date version of adobe reader dc to work like from 2016 or newer on xp :)

Thanks! :D

5 hours ago, someguy25 said:

Hello again,i use to view pdf's a lot,but the last version of adobe reader for xp is slow and outdated...I tried sumatra pdf but that is not really good for me.I would like to know if its possible to get a more upto date version of adobe reader dc to work like from 2016 or newer on xp :)

I just use Firefox and Chrome, they can both open PDF files. (Since Firefox 19 and Chrome 6)

13 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

I just use Firefox and Chrome, they can both open PDF files. (Since Firefox 19 and Chrome 6)

Strange.This feature in chrome or Firefox never worked for me

:dubbio:

Edited by someguy25

3 hours ago, someguy25 said:

Strange.This feature in chrome or Firefox never worked for me

:dubbio:

With Chrome or Firefox all you have to do is click on a PDF file from a website and it will automatically open.

If it is a local PDF file on your computer, you can SHIFT + RIGHT-CLICK --> OPEN WITH and select Chrome or Firefox. You may have to "Choose program" if it's not in the default list that appears.

Image credit Telcontar.net:

open_with_under.png

On 1/20/2019 at 4:13 PM, someguy25 said:

Support for Windows XP was dropped beginning with Adobe Reader 11.0.09 (Changes to base system requirements). WinClient5270 posted a YouTube tutorial explaining how to install Acrobat Reader DC on Windows Vista, but unfortunately stated in a pinned comment, "Note: this does NOT work with Windows XP. The DLL wrappers are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 (original release) only, making this method unviable on Windows XP" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkjzWT3uEa0).

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I only mentioned it because @Vistapocalypsesaid in his previous post "Support for Windows XP was dropped beginning with Adobe Reader 11.0.09".
It may well have been officially, but it hasn't actually stopped any later versions from working.
:)

Correct, the latest updates to 11.0.x will work if applied manually. But I'm pretty sure the spigot is now turned off:

Enterprise Toolkit » Release Notes for Legacy Acrobat Products » Overview » next: 11.0.23 Planned update, November 14, 2017

XP and Office 2003 support

Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP and Office 2003 on April 8, 2014. Therefore, Acrobat & Reader versions 11.0.09 and 10.1.12 (September 9, 2014 quarterly update) drop support for:

-Windows XP. You can continue to manually install and update Acrobat and Reader on XP, but future updates will not have been tested on XP and technical support will end for that platform.
-MS Office 2003 PDFMakers. Existing users can continue to use Acrobat PDFMakers for Office 2003. However, Adobe will not release any bug fixes or provide technical support for Office 2003 PDFMaker issues after the 11.0.07 and 10.1.10 release of May 13, 2014. This is also true for enterprise customers on support contracts.

For more detail, see http://blogs.adobe.com/acrobat/windows-xp-end-of-support-html.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:13 PM, someguy25 said:

You posed the question in what appears (to me) a strange way :unsure:, it is not a double or nothing (Acrobat Reader DC - IMHO a stupidly large mass of bloat-  or Sumatra - IMHO the most minimalistic reader) game, there are many free readers besides them, apart the ones embedded in Chrome or Mozilla.

Only to give you an example, I normally use on XP the Foxit one (in a rather oldish version, 2.3 that however fits my needs just fine), but I am pretty sure that there are a number of other suitable softwares around.

jaclaz

ARDC 11.0.23 dropped support for IE versions 8,9 and 10. So even if we could somehow get it running on XP, without IE11 it still wouldn't be full-featured.

(note: 10.1.12 also dropped support for XP)

On 1/25/2019 at 12:15 PM, sdfox7 said:

That's good to know. (It also works on Vista.) OP should note that the 11.0.23 patch in your link was released in November 2017, so "2016 or newer" is satisfied; and Acrobat Reader DC has been less popular anyway.

1 hour ago, jumper said:

ARDC 11.0.23 dropped support for IE versions 8,9 and 10. So even if we could somehow get it running on XP, without IE11 it still wouldn't be full-featured.

(note: 10.1.12 also dropped support for XP)

Well, to take that further, you could argue that XP isn't as full featured as 7. :buehehe:

In all reality, most people I know use Adobe Reader simply to view and print PDF. For that purpose, it (and Chrome and Firefox) gets the job done.

I use Adobe Reader 8.3.1 or 9.5.5 (depending on which machine and boot partition I am at the moment) and never really needed a higher version yet. I do disable Chrome and Basilisk/FF renderers and set .PDFs to "Save File", though. So, YMMV, really.