best free lightweight iso extracting software for windows 95

cov3rt

I was wondering if anyone knows what the best free lightweight software there is for windows 95 that can extract iso images. i've always had winrar 3.80 in my builds, however i had noticed that it couldn't detect iso files. i was hoping i could find an additional program to allow specifically reading and extracting iso images. i looked at many different programs being listed, magic iso, power iso, win iso, ultra iso, also there is 7-zip 9.20 as being mentioned as supported in another thread, and daemon tools 3.47 in another source, however, i didn't really like the ui of these two, and i don't know if daemon tools 3.47 only mounts iso images or can also extract them as imgburn 2.4.4.0 can already do this and i already have this in my archived files for windows 95, please correct me if i am wrong.

basically i am looking for a program that works like winrar in that it automatically can detect the type of file, if it's zipped or compressed of course, it will show as a rar file, and it's fine if the iso files are shown in rar, as long as it can actually detect them as i couldn't get them to detect with winrar 3.80, i read something on ultra iso "free" version being limited to 300 MB but this was unclear ( sourced from wikipedia ) as in which exact version(s), obviously i would want to have the best most compatibility software that is free and most stable and most lightweight. 

WinRAR should be able to handle the ISO files, even though they are not compressed. Check the Options > Settings > Integration tab and see if ISO file type is selected for association with WinRAR. (verified on v3.93; should work with 3.80 as well)

14 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

WinRAR should be able to handle the ISO files, even though they are not compressed. Check the Options > Settings > Integration tab and see if ISO file type is selected for association with WinRAR. (verified on v3.93; should work with 3.80 as well)

thanks for the info, i did read somewhere yesterday suggesting something similar related to the iso file association with winrar, i'll take a look at those settings in winrar you mentioned. although i did add PowerISO 4.9 in my archived contents already which leads into another question. it seems imgburn 2.4.4.0 and PowerISO 4.9 are similar in functionality, they can mount / burn iso images, PowerISO 4.9 can extract iso images, although i am not sure if imgburn 2.4.4.0 can do that, that was really the main reason i went through all this research, was simply for detecting / extracting iso files.

so my question is, is it ok to remove imgburn 2.4.4.0 and replace it with PowerISO 4.9 ( which is about the same size of the program of roughly less than 2 MB ) to have all or almost all of the functionalities of imgburn 2.4.4.0, if not more, or is there something more obvious that imgburn 2.4.4.0 has that PowerISO 4.9 doesn't. PowerISO 4.9 is a little newer, released i believe 11-15-11 and imgburn 2.4.4.0 was released 4-10-09, so that makes me assume in one sense that PowerISO 4.9 has more compatibility or functioning than imgburn 2.4.4.0. 

I've never used PowerISO, so I can't comment on it. I have used ImgBurn (version 2.5.0.0, after that they added some adware junk to the installer, not sure if this is still true) and it's a nice tool for burning and creating ISO files, but I don't believe you can "browse" inside the files. I would just use WinRAR for this, ImgBurn for writing ISO files. And if you want to preform other tasks with non-ISO images or with backing up copy-protected CD's use CloneCD or Alcohol 120%.

so it seems that poweriso isn't even supported on windows 95 at all! i tested from versions 2.0 - 4.9 and all of them when trying to run the installed program linked to a missing export of either getfileattributesexa or setthreadexecutionstate. i didn't test older than 2.0, but it probably wouldn't work, and even if it did, it wouldn't be worth using since imgburn and winrar would already be doing all the work anyways at a better state, 1.6 and older are too old. poweriso 6.0 is listed as supported on one of their sources. i am not sure if this is an error, as one of the threads here also lists it as "supported". i did a quick google search and from their site, they list 98 and NT4 as supported, 95 is not listed. 

so for now, the winrar option of making sure iso is selected, via lonecrusader's suggestion probably works best + imgburn 2.4.4.0 for me, however, for some weird reason, i can't seem to access winrar 3.80 in it's current state in my w95 system, the program executable is missing but everything else is there, or at least, it seems like something is missing, i'll have to give it a check real quick, maybe uninstall and reinstall may fix the issues i am having. 

update! so i uninstalled and reinstalled winrar 3.80 and it didn't change it's state of files in the program files portion, maybe this is just the way the program is? i think i was comparing it to version 4.11 from that i use on 2K. although before reinstalling it, when i viewed iso files, they would just have the normal microsoft white icon as if there were no third party unzip tools installed, but after reinstalling it with the iso file association which was already default when i first installed it, this time, now it actually shows the iso files with the winrar book icon, in both states, you can still extract the iso file, but one may think that with the default microsoft icon, they wouldn't right click it because they'd assume the iso file can't be extracted due to some setting / something missing. it seems inconvenient to have to reinstall the program to identify the file in winrar icon, however, i am changing this in my files to reflect it as the typical user or some people may not notice this ( including myself )

Edited by cov3rt