Win 98 SP3 broken networking - multiple NIC, physical/virtual machines / physical machines- ping error 10043/10091 .. on all machines, unfixable :(

ruthan

• 2 months later...

It happens me again, some problem.

Now its back in era old Super Socket K6-II machine and with Realtek 8139 PCI and clean Windows 98 Second Edition install.

I installed Windows, there was no driver for NIC on CD, so nothing. I have installed old realtek driver for this nic from 1998, which i had on disk. Later i wanted to tune driver and it tried to install newer driver, it installed well, no conflicts, but again, i had some old problem. So there not problem with some network speed tuners for windows 98, with some updates or SP3 etc.. its broken i clean system. Machine is quite clean only Virge video card and network card..

Networking in DOS with native packet driver its still working, so card is fine and machine is fine.

Ping with hostname - unknow host.
 Ping with ip address error 10043.

So i tried to comeback to old driver which worked, and i have exactly some problem, as with other machines, once this broke im unable to fix it.. I still don have any exclamation marks in system, in Safe mode are not any leftovers of old nics etc.

Even when now exclamation marks, i tried to change addresses for device, i was supprised that was some unmarked conflict with some Video card alias and VIA IDE alias.. but even when i try to change ranges its still the same.

Any ideas?

I did complete reinstall i installed old driver which worked before and its still not working, i dont understand it.. 

One more symptom is: Ipconfig prints:

IP ConfigurationFatal Error 

Cannou read IP configuration

• 7 months later...

I met this problem again within my virtual machines.. so its not HW related.. i has to be some MS or unofficial SP3 bug.. At 1 time i have fully working networking, after i need some small change as add protocol or something like that and all is broken.. Control-Panel networking start to behave strangly and even after some small change as Hostname, it is forcing of loading of all networking files.. and its loading tham from SP3.cab.. im quite that all is set right, but network stack is broken.. no more file staring, ping etc.. are working and im unable to fix it.. Only thing which i can do is restore old image or snapshot.

If someone has idea how to debug with let me now, but i doubt that im only one with this problem..

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 3:55 PM, Tripredacus said:

IIRC, TCP/IP and/or Winsock corruption in Windows 98 was common... at least I recall having to reinstall it a lot when I did support at an ISP.

https://web.archive.org/web/20031215041414/https://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=286748

Its something diferent - Winipcfg is working - im able to load it.. but its showing - some strange  IP  adress:
a very strange DHCP server -255.255.255.255
  Im not expert in virtual networks, but my local network is 10.0.0.x and im using Bridged networking.
  What is not working is Renew command it giving me - DHCP sever Unavailable: Renew Adapter.

Ipconfig is giving me the same.. and Default Gateway is empty.

Its matching with ping google - it gives me - Unknown host google.com

On 1/6/2020 at 11:38 AM, jumper said:

When prompted to reload drivers after a small change, try the "skip" option.

There is no skip, i just select something - for example ip address only -  and there is right after - file copy dialog.. and there is only Cancel button.. nothing else.

Edited by ruthan

I found version of same VM where network is still working.. Its using Bridged network too.

Ping google is giving me right response..

Winipcfg - is working too (renew):
IP - 10.0.0.26
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.138

Ipconfig is giving me the same..

So i thing that we are in good situation to debug it.. if have some ideas.

Ok i check driver on working and non working machine its the same one, Vmware (Workstation 15.5 - host is Win 10 1909) network configuration is same one (additions installed), its the same machine Win98 with SP3.

Network configuration (Control panel-network) is just minimal:
Client for Microsoft Networks
AMD PCnet Family Ethernet Adapter PCI-ISA
TCP/IP - IP - Obtain IP Address automatically, DNS - disable DNS (im not expert, but its strange that network is working? When i enable it give it my router IP its working too.), Gateway - eveything is empty, Bindings - Client for MS networks (checked), Netbios - setting is not available, but its checked, Wins - Use DPHC for WIn resolutions,
File and Print Sharing is not checked.

Can someone give the list of files or registry keys etc.. which is involved in Win98 networking to check where is the difference?

Edited by ruthan

When i try to add component for example IPX protocol support on network Working instance.. i get dialog requesting the file, i point it to C:\Windows\System (or C:\Windows) and other folders.. i see in diaglog and Source is: SP3.Cab.. Destination C:\Windows\System\.*
  ..its also requesting.. rpcltc6.dll which is not i Windows folder.. so i point it to C:\Temp\Win98 - where i have copy of orignal Win98SE eng folder from cd. Now i get restart dialog.

Network is still working, so add IPX is still safe..
  Same file and printer sharing.
  NetBeUI - also need some file from original Win98 CD - im not really sure if need this one, if im rember is used for some Win-DOS networking, which im from time to time using.
  IPX - enable netbios - also some files from orignal Win98 CD directory.

But when i just open Control Panel - Network and click ok - im getting again file copy dialog.. no prompt anything just some files are copied automatically (i can simulate it multiple times), its some SP3 specific behavior or sign that something is already broken?

But even there network is still working, even after every file recopy. I tried to be sure also cold boot.. Im dont now too much about networking.. but maybe is something wrong with DHCP it need more time to some router session to expire and after that
its maybe no able because of some bug create now connection.. Because when i comebeck to snapshot, which was yesterday broken, its now working.. its very strange, but before that, not working was consistent.. i dont believe that is Vmware bug (or snapshots are not working how i thing that they are), but i have some behavior - see first posts even on at least 2 physical machines..

But i wonder is ok rpcltc6.dll from original cd?

Second my idea that networking can be broken by some installed app, is there some Win98 program to just create report of all installed apps and maybe even some system settings to compare it?
Im not aware bout installation anything fancy.. before its broken, only maybe to add some network protocol and even there im not sure about it.. Only related network thing which i sure i installed is 
network time synchronizer (NetTime ). Update: Check apps list - only Nettime is difference, i have to test insall it again, but i doubt that it is problem.

Conclusion:
- That file recopy just after just open Network configuration is strange, anyway.
- How can ping google.com working when TCPIP is DNS disabled its strange, its Vmware thing.. or i dont understand networking?

Edited by ruthan

• 4 months later...

Hmm, im starting to thing that it could be something with networking hardware, because today is simulated it again:
I just removed left over old NIC from device manager, network stopped working, or fine.. tried to fix it nothing, but i recover disk image where i was working for sure.. and i tried it and its not working. In other OS is working fine, i otherwise had not networking issues.

My setup is quite simple, some unmanaged switches and router / vsdl modem, all settings dynamic. Any ideas?