Win 98 SP3 broken networking - multiple NIC, physical/virtual machines / physical machines- ping error 10043/10091 .. on all machines, unfixable :(

ruthan

Hi,
i have problem with X58 MB networking, i tried 3 different NIC - PCI-E one (Broadcom 5721M), PCI one (Realtek 8139), USB Lan (Assix 88772A i has Win98 driver) one.. which i are proven to work with Win98 in other machine.

But always get:
 Ping {hostname} // unknown host
 ping {ip addree} // Ping: transmit failed, error code 10043

I never get network login screen after NIC installation reboot.

In network panel is:
Client of MS network
TCP/IP // I tried Fixed or Dynamic IP adress, DNS.. Gateway setting, they are fine. 
NIC 

No exclamation marks in System, or on NICs.

When i open Control Panel Network and click ok, i always get Dialog to point path to svrapi.dll, i insert path, file is found - i got reboot dialog, but
after reboot its the same. I tried to copy this file from Windows 98 clean installation too, is the same.

With other OSes NICs are working fine.

Any clue, what can be wrong and what i should to do?

Edited by ruthan

2 hours ago, ruthan said:

Hi,
i have problem with X58 MB networking, i tried 3 different NIC - PCI-E one (Broadcom 5721M), PCI one (Realtek 8139), USB Lan (Assix 88772A i has Win98 driver) one.. which i are proven to work with Win98 in other machine.

But always get:
 Ping {hostname} // unknown host
 ping {ip addree} // Ping: transmit failed, error code 10043

I never get network login screen after NIC installation reboot.

In network panel is:
Client of MS network
TCP/IP // I tried Fixed or Dynamic IP adress, DNS.. Gateway setting, they are fine. 
NIC 

No exclamation marks in System, or on NICs.

When i open Control Panel Network and click ok, i always get Dialog to point path to svrapi.dll, i insert path, file is found - i got reboot dialog, but
after reboot its the same. I tried to copy this file from Windows 98 clean installation too, is the same.

With other OSes NICs are working fine.

Any clue, what can be wrong and what i should to do?

this may or may not be helpful / relevant to your problem, but do you use / have you used TCPOptimizer 2.0.3? i have noticed that i always had to use the "optimal" setting to get faster download speeds on 95 and 98SE computers, for some weird reason by default, the download speeds are a lot lower, usually painfully slow ( like as little as 80 KB/s ) unless i use this program and use the "optimal" setting which then it jumps up all the way to like 500 KB/s, i never realized such a program can provide such a quick easy fix like this. 

Hmm...on my H110 motherboard the Realtek drivers for its builtin Realtek RTL8111C/RTL8111H chip work fine, I get proper Network logon dialog and everything works fine, even with the unofficial SP3 installed.

Is the device properly enumerated in the Device Manager? Can you post some screenshot how the situation is?

So far, I can't really suggest anything other than reinstalling Windows 98.

@Ruthan, Did you try ndis2-driver? Your MB seemed tot have a Realtek LAN. Inside following tread there is

an Inf-file. If needed you can change to your PCI -VEN/DEV. There are a few other Realtek MS-DOS drivers too.

I think than my problem is not NIC specific, is something wrong with whole networking, i really dont want to reinstall.. its last option, it would be days before i got system configured as i want.

I there should something to diagnose, something to try to refresh etc.

There is similar erro and even someone with same problemr:
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/10216605/PING-transmit-failed-error-code-10091.html // No real solution.
http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?24504-RESOLVED-Windows-95-NIC-problems  // No real solution.

Someone is telling that is Winsockets something.. but not real answer, my guess is that some system file, or configuration is broken, drivers and network setting look ok, all was replicated from same machine, even from originally same installation which was cloned, but something broke..

DOS-NDIS, i heard with its worse that native Windows driver, its right? What about performance?

Update:

http://ftp.uma.es/Drivers/TRED/3COM/3C90XX/DOC/TCPI0043.HTM  // This seems to be solution, im not by machine with it problem, make it sense for you? Its fix for Win95 so, im not sure, if it will work for Win98.. It could happend, during installation, i got some freezes during it, so maybe files are copied in Windows directory before they are moved to Windows\System and i got freeze between..

Error code CAUSE:
The error code 10043 indicates that the TCP/IP stack is not initializing. 

https://www.techrepublic.com/forums/discussions/error-10043-using-ping-on-95-machine/ Similar suggestiongs, but not verified.

Otherwise Win95 are affected too.

Edited by ruthan

Windows 98 has SFC? Files has to be somehow moved, otherwise such error wouldnt be possible.. Sorry, im not guy who is reinstalling because of some icon what moved from original position :)

Edited by ruthan

Ok, i checked WIndows folder for problematic files:
Vdhcp.386 
Vip.386 
Vnbt.386 
Vtcp.386 
Vtdi.386 

But there were only in Windows\System folder, when i deleted them i not got Ping: transmit failed, error code 10091 so its probably something about mess in networking files..

I tried USB to LAN, adapter on other computer where Broadcom 5721 NIC is working and i have some problems there.. Ping transmit failed 10043 with files, 10091 without them.

Edited by ruthan

• 5 weeks later...

I tried few more machines and even pass through this USB to LAN adapter to Virtual machine, its always the same, driver install is fine, no exclamation mark, but ping or other thing are not working, always same error. That driver is probably buggy.. Its some USB to LAN adapter working in WIn98 for someone?