Should I be being offered version 1809 by now?

Dave-H

As the thread title really.
I'm using version 1803 and when I check for updates I'm still not being offered the 1809 update from last October.
I know that the roll-out was "paused" a couple of times, but as far as I can see all devices should now be being offered it.
My system has always received previous updates through Windows Update with no problems.
I realise I can update manually, but I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to, just in case there is a compatibility problem of some sort, but how can I find out if that's the case?
:dubbio:

@Dave-H Yesterday, Microsoft posted Update Status On Windows 10 Version 1809 indicating

We are now starting our phased rollout to users via Windows Update, initially offering the update to devices we believe will have the best update experience based on our next generation machine learning model. 

Fully available for advanced users who manually select “Check for updates” via Windows Update. 

Elsewhere Microsoft says Windows 10 Version 1809 is "Semi Annual Channel (Targeted) which indicates it is not yet suitable for deployment in Business!!!!

It appears that Microsoft is now going to start forcing the upgrade, so merely not clicking "Check For Updates" is apparently not sufficient to prevent the upgrade.

You're going to have to actively block Version 1809 or you're going to get it very soon.  I have my machine set to wait until I am satisfied the upgrade is no longer problematic.    Remember it was first offered in October, then again in November and December, each time there were issues to be resolved.

well almost, not ready for prime time, Dave-H.

on the other hand, running the Win10 v1809 Media Creation tool now downloads build 17763.253 (v1809 + KB4480116 update), which means the 1809 installation media has been updated with the Jan. 2019 update

• 2 weeks later...

Still not being offered 1809, despite checking on Windows Update every day.
:no:
I wish there was some way of finding out if my system is being rejected because of some incompatibility, and if so, what it is!
:(

16 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I wish there was some way of finding out if my system is being rejected because of some incompatibility, and if so, what it is!

@Dave-H on another site, I read:

It looks like many DNS servers are mis-routing Windows Update connections. At this point, it looks like the problem ISN’T with Microsoft.

The solution is to use the Google DNS server. A bit of irony in that, but hey, if it works"

Quite possible you are in that mix.........   for me, I have 1809 set on the "back burner" and will delay it as long as possible.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:29 PM, Dave-H said:

Thanks, that's very interesting and helpful.
So it sounds like version1809 isn't actually ready for prime time yet!
Perhaps I won't keep on trying to get it........
:lol:

Hate to take the Michael but come on...nothing about Windows 10 is ready for prime time......

Sorry....had to be done...

bookie56

Well I finally forced the update yesterday using the update assistant.
I guess I'll now never know why I wasn't being offered the update by Windows Update, let's now see if the next one is offered, whenever that's due!
All went fine, no apparent problems other than the usual blizzard of error and warning messages in the Windows logs now on every boot.
Now time for the usual fun research on how to get rid of as many of them as possible that you seem to have to do after every update!
:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

maybe v1809 will be more widely available on Tuesday Feb. 12.  that would be about 90 days when v1809 was re-released on Nov. 13, 2018 and may be declared "business ready" thru the SAC channel (aka. Semi-Annual Channel).  1809 was only available thru SAC-T and LTSC channels but not yet thru SAC.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, Dave-H said:

@Dave-H I read this morning if the Apple iTunes/iCloud app is installed on your Windows build 1803 machine, it caused a block that will not be removed until mid-February.  Possibly due to a required update required in the Apple software?????

Thanks, that's useful to know!
Sadly it can't be the problem I was having as the only Apple software I have installed on Windows 10 is QuickTime 7 and the Software Updater that goes with it.
I've never installed iTunes or iCloud.
As I said earlier I eventually forced the update to 1809 manually, and so far everything seems to be OK.
:)

• 1 month later...

seems like Microsoft has just declared the 1809 version "business ready" and is now available in the SAC channel.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/Windows-10-version-1809-designated-for-broad-deployment/ba-p/389540

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10/release-information

and there are new refresh ESDs & ISOs of 1809 available that contain build 17763.379