Windows assigning same name to USB's when connected

bookie32

Hi Guys!

Ok! This isn't something that is happening all the time....

The first USB that i connect to the computer is assigned the letter Q:

I have several drives installed and then a card reader so, the next available drive letter is Q:

Now at some point I have had a Windows764 USB attached to the computer and now when I add USB's whatever I have assigned as the name of the USB is overwritten to Windows764? I have just backed up all worked files and reformated a USB and gave it the name USB6....which the computer sees the first time it is attached....but on the next connection it assigns the same drive letter Q: but calls it Windows764 and if I check disk management it has even a different name there?

Even if I disconnect the USB via Window "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" I still get the same problem happening over and over again....and now when I attach other USB's it takes for ever to open them and usually it is the same name Windows764?!

Has anyone the faintest idea as to what is happening?

There is a twist to this which I don't understand...

If I remove the USB's and connect them to another computer and then retry them on this computer it sees them as what they are....BUT have just discovered that USB6 is assigned the letter Q: and I have access to the files on it no problem until I check disk management...no media? There is a partition showing but no media is the message shown....

I have tested the USB and find no fault.....?

bookie32

Edited by bookie32