Windows XP Professional x64 on the ASRock Extreme4 X99

bluebolt

I ran a quick test this evening, installing Windows XP 64-bit on the ASRock X99 Extreme4 mainboard I use for Windows 2000 Professional.  I ran nLite 1.4.9.3 to integrate 5eraph's update pack and IE8 Addon, and Fernando's AHCI SATA and sSATA drivers.  I tested Microsoft Update to get the .net frameworks and updates, just to see that it (MU) worked okay.  I think the screenshot has all the other information.  The OS installation and so forth was trouble-free.

I have no plans to pursue this further for now, but wanted to post this brief FYI before I button up this hardware with W2K Pro.

XP-x64-X99-PNG.png

Edited by bluebolt

12 hours ago, bluebolt said:

I ran a quick test this evening, installing Windows XP 64-bit on the ASRock X99 Extreme4 mainboard I use for Windows 2000 Professional.  I ran nLite 1.4.9.3 to integrate 5eraph's update pack and IE8 Addon, and Fernando's AHCI SATA and sSATA drivers.  I tested Microsoft Update to get the .net frameworks and updates, just to see that it (MU) worked okay.  I think the screenshot has all the other information.  The OS installation and so forth was trouble-free.

I have no plans to pursue this further for now, but wanted to post this brief FYI before I button up this hardware with W2K Pro.

XP-x64-X99-PNG.png

Thank you for confirming this bluebolt. :thumbup

PS: I am curious as to your methods on getting Win2k to work on that motherboard? I've tried a few times on my Sabertooth X99 board but, I get a blue screen even with IDE mode enabled. Although, I'll humbly admit I don't have much experience with Win2k at least not enough that is lol. Any help / info on what you did to get it working, like steps and such would be very helpful.

Edited by XP-x64-Lover
Question, Typo

7 hours ago, XP-x64-Lover said:

I am curious as to your methods on getting Win2k to work on that motherboard? I've tried a few times on my Sabertooth X99 board but, I get a blue screen even with IDE mode enabled. Although, I'll humbly admit I don't have much experience with Win2k at least not enough that is lol. Any help / info on what you did to get it working, like steps and such would be very helpful.

The specifics are in this thread, which I plan to update soon:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175368-windows-2000-professional-on-the-x99-platform/

In the meantime if no one objects I'd like to just answer your question here, generally...

The one main, overriding consideration is whether a particular model of motherboard (and its BIOS) will give quarter to Windows 2000 Professional, or in other words, whether the board will allow anyone of whatever level of experience to succeed; but there is no way to know that beforehand.

In any event the motherboard MUST have at least one PS/2 port, or it will not be possible to install Windows 2000 Professional (two PS/2 ports will make the job easier).

At that, choose the simplest motherboard (with the added advantage that they are generally less expensive) with as little hardware on it as possible.  Even then, you will definitely need to go into the BIOS settings and disable extraneous hardware, especially to include any COM port or Parallel Port.

Choosing a board with Realtek audio and LAN hardware (or adding Realtek cards) will increase the odds of success, because Realtek has W2K Pro drivers available.

It may be piling inference upon inference, but I would avoid a board that looks fanciful in any sense, as if the marketing department had a hand in the product formation, including boards with colorful graphics or names.

If installation will not proceed beyond initial hardware detection (i.e. stalls at "Setup is starting Windows 2000"), try selecting something other than ACPI Multiprocessor PC mode.  This may allow the installation to complete, though curtailed, but at least allowing you to use the OS (especially Device Manager) to get a handle on the problem.

Edited by bluebolt

• 4 weeks later...

I tested "Community OFA NVMe 1.5 Storport Miniport for Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2" by Kai Schtrom, using Samsung 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4 NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7P512BW as secondary (storage) drive:

NVMe-02072019.png

I don't know XP x64 very well, and know nothing about Windows Server 2003, except that the internet says they are structurally similar.

Kai Schtrom's test involved Windows Server 2003 x86 rather than x64; however, his files include a 64-bit version as well, which was used here.