Xp on Z370 / Z170 MB, few devices with ! mark in device manager, help + ACPI tunning, not working browsers

ruthan

12 hours ago, daniel_k said:

Didn't see anything wrong with its ACPI table.

Should support Windows XP right away, but I can't say anything about older OSes.

Thanks for taking a look. I remember having some issues setting up XP on the X99 system and ended up transferring an install from an X79 system for what I was doing at the time, but it's been a long time since I've had an opportunity to do anything else with it. It may have been unrelated to ACPI.

If one could determine what ACPI changes, if any, beyond what you're doing would be necessary to have Windows 2000 working it would be a big step in the right direction. Going back further would probably require setting ACPI to a very "early" state (not sure what you're having to change, so this is all speculation anyway).

In similar direction it would be really great to able things needed for Windows 98 automatic ATX shutdown, because its really only care with powermanagment.. Z170 is Win98 capable, so it make sense.

From some lofty idea, it would be really great to implement IDE mode for modern Sata controller, which dont have no more this option in BIOS, Z97 and X99 this has it, Z170+ MBs dont..

I can confirm, that with Z370 its update bios working with MPS mode, so fixed bios flash doenst broke boooting process that is great, in next step i will try to boot in ACPI mode.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, rloew said:

Not all SATA Controillers support IDE mode. AHCI only Controllers cannot be switched to IDE. This is why I wrote my AHCI Driver.

Are you sure that is HW thing? I have bad memory, but i thing that i have Asmedia Sata controller, which could be  flashed with both IDE and AHCI Bioses.. 

On 1/18/2019 at 7:02 AM, dencorso said:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro HK Change" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /pae /KERNEL=NTKRNLPA.EXE  /HAL=HALAACPI.DLL

I tried this booting parameters, but i got WinXP starting logo, progress bar - bar was moving for few seconds, but after that just black screen and nothing, i havent time to test safe mode. Is pae switch necessary just for switching to ACPI? Its that /KERNEL=NTKRNLPA.EXE parameter default or for PAE too?
  Because there is something wrong with PAE mod on this HW its not working with PAE patch even in MPS mode. I this other issue, now i need to make working 32 bit mode fine..

I have found some info for it:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-acpi-multiprocessor-pc-v-standard-pc.912216/
Im not sure if there should be ntkrpamp.exe instead of ntkrnlpa.exe ..

Edited by ruthan

AHCI Controllers can be Switchable or AHCI only. There is a flag in the HBA Memory Registers that reflects this. If it is switchable, then you can set bits that put the Controller into AHCI Mode or IDE Mode.
Otherwise the Controller does not support IDE Mode, or in at least one case not properly. No software can override this.

If the Controller is switchable, but the associated BIOS is not, you may be able to reflash with a new BIOS if one can be found, made or hacked.
Alternatively, Drives can be accessed by switching the Mode to IDE with Software.

Ok i flashed Z170 MB with patched ACPI bios, and tried to boot, i tried multiple of Sata controllers PCI/PCI-E but i always got blue screen quick reboot, i im not sure about message, but i thing that it was something else that before patching - ACPI error.. I know that that bluescreen reset could be disabled, but i was lazy and just tried that Asmedia Sata controller with IDE bios and managed to get XP.. So far there are not any PCI-E bridges with conflicts reported..  Only MB devices names are very generic.. Is there some Intel INF package for Z170?

Btw, someone claims that is able to boot XP from NVM drive:
http://reboot.pro/topic/21812-community-ofa-nvme-15-storport-miniport-for-windows-server-2003-r2-sp2/

Edited by ruthan

Booting XP from an NVME Drive should work, but you will need either a Samsung 950 PRO (with built-in BIOS) or a Motherboard that recognizes NVME Drives in CSM Mode.

I slip-streamed NVME into a XP Installation CD and can do the first stage Install into a NVME Drive on any computer.
I only have one Computer that recognizes NVME and it only works in UEFI so I am unable to go further.

15 hours ago, rloew said:

Booting XP from an NVME Drive should work, but you will need either a Samsung 950 PRO (with built-in BIOS) or a Motherboard that recognizes NVME Drives in CSM Mode.

It would be nice, to make list of NVME driver with in Build bios and boards which can recognize NVME drivers in CSM mode..

I have 1 problem, my Z170 have some booting problem if some HW is changed, it constantly resets, until bios is recovered.. and it seems that unpached bios is recovered, because of dual bios feature, is there way how to force, that patched bios to both dual bios roms?

Win98 issues with Z170 seems to fixed, but XP are still here and i tried lots of things..  But Warcraft III performance still sucks and no IE Browsers not respond on users actions after few clicks, on with 10-15 seconds delay. 
 So i starting to wonder, if problem could be with patched Bios, or there is other HW/Bios level problem.

Details are here:

I tried lots of this with that gigabyte z170-hd3 and XP, but internet browsers still refuse to react on users actions, i made reinstall etc.. i dunno what is wrong, but it could that patched Bios and something wrong with it, or MB is defective, but i dont really understand why in Win7 and Linux is this working.. Details in most above, i tried lots of hardware in process.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, cc333 said:

Hi,

I just built a new-ish PC using a Gigabyte z270p-d3 and I was wondering if its BIOS could be patched for XP as well?

Thank you!

c

@cc333

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5cuairv2xv8p0sb

Just flash the BIOS as usual (create a bootable DOS disk).

There are 2 versions:

- Firstly, try the one in the root folder.

- If there are any issues, try the BIOS in the "alternative" folder.

Some notes:

- The ACPI table modifications work with Windows XP x86/x64 and Windows Server 2003 x86/x64.

- For Windows XP x86, I didn't try any PAE hacks.

- Standby doesn't work at all. Further modifications are required (not worth the effort).

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, ruthan said:

I tried lots of this with that gigabyte z170-hd3 and XP, but internet browsers still refuse to react on users actions, i made reinstall etc.. i dunno what is wrong, but it could that patched Bios and something wrong with it, or MB is defective, but i dont really understand why in Win7 and Linux is this working.. Details in most above, i tried lots of hardware in process.

@ruthan

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bxtwrw2qv82uttd

Just flash the BIOS as usual (create a bootable DOS disk).

There are 2 versions:

- Firstly, try the one in the root folder, includes an additional modification to the previous version you flashed.

- If there are any issues, try the BIOS in the "alternative" folder.

Some notes:

- The ACPI table modifications work with Windows XP x86/x64 and Windows Server 2003 x86/x64.

- For Windows XP x86, I didn't try any PAE hacks.

- Standby doesn't work at all. Further modifications are required (not worth the effort).