Xp on Z370 / Z170 MB, few devices with ! mark in device manager, help + ACPI tunning, not working browsers

ruthan

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:02 AM, dencorso said:

Welcome to MSFN, @daniel_k! It's great to have you around! :hello:

Thanks, glad to be here! :hello:

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:02 AM, dencorso said:

I guess he can all right: by changing the boot.ini line from (say):
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /pae
to (say):
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro HK Change" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /pae /KERNEL=NTKRNLPA.EXE  /HAL=HALAACPI.DLL
then rebooting. I think this change sticks, so it should be possible to return to (say):
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /pae
for the next reboot and the hal and kernel won't change back, IINM.
It's been a long time since I last used that, however, so YMMV. But it may be of help.

Of course, anyone who follow this advice, does so on his own, and knowing fully well that the standard disclaimer applies: I guarantee nothing whatsoever about it, nor about the use one makes of it. So, by deciding to apply it you fully accept that anything you do is of YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITY... Hence, if after performing this mod your pc morphs into a purple mushroom and explodes, causing a 10-day worldwide blackout in the process, you know you can't blame me for it! You have been warned.

While this might work, device re-enumeration may cause many devices to be named #2, #3 and so on, which I personally dislike. ;)

18 hours ago, ruthan said:

Are you able to modify Bios to run PCI-E Gen1 graphics cards? So far, every i have tested (Radeon X600, Geforce 7300, Geforce 6600) was ignored and computer. I know that some other boards even X99 have this problem too. When i try to set primary GPU slot to slot which Gen1 cards, card is just ignored and machine is booting from 1st slot Geforce 970 right away.. 

Such card would be better for Dos Compatibility, which is running somehow even with G970 and i can try the lack with Win98 - with external Sata controller and with new Rloew patch, someone made at least Z170 running, so maybe, maybe this MB could make it too..

Try to:

- force all option ROMs  to Legacy in the BIOS tab of BIOS Setup.

- force "Max Link Speed" to Gen1 or Gen2 in the M.I.T. tab -> Miscellaneous Settings of BIOS Setup.

18 hours ago, ruthan said:

Second problem is Intel 218 / 219 LAN no XP driver. I have too use additional Broadcom 5721M NIC, which is not ideal, because it eats PCI-E slot and there not MacOS drivers (i have MacOS too on this machine).

What about a LAN card with Realtek chipset?

Not sure about an existing MacOS driver, but there are certainly XP drivers for almost if not all models, even Win9x drivers for some earlier Gigabit ones.

I tried to select best MB for multiboot system, but there are compromises.. so my MB has Intel LAN (Win7/10 + MacOS compatible), instead more compatible Realtek one. As far, as i know there are not Realtek external PCI-E Gigabit cards, which are compatible with Win 98, so i have to use additional Broadcom card for Win98 /XP.. i would be nice, i could use it only for Win98.. Less cables switching, or i have seems to Win 98 compatibile USB LAN Assix 88772A.. its only 100 Mbit, but with it could save 1 PCI-E slot (for multiboot system you have never enough slots). I also not sure if Win98 will work on this board (longsthot), so if i would have Intel Lan driver for XP - i could live without cable switching..

I have other MB with Z97 Intel Lan too, here i dont have Win98, so if Intel LAN would work i dont need cable switching at all.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:39 AM, daniel_k said:

I can patch your BIOS provided that you have a Gigabyte board, just let me know the exact model.

Very interesting. What changes do/can you make? I have a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4P board that I've done some small bit of experimenting with but I never got around to doing a clean XP install. I've contemplated getting an X299 as well but haven't had the time or funds to tackle that experiment yet (not likely to be soon either :}).

On 1/19/2019 at 4:27 PM, daniel_k said:

- force all option ROMs  to Legacy in the BIOS tab of BIOS Setup.

- force "Max Link Speed" to Gen1 or Gen2 in the M.I.T. tab -> Miscellaneous Settings of BIOS Setup.

I tried this with Geforce 6600 no change, PCI-E Gen1 Videocard is simply ignored a system is booting from Gen3 - Geforce 970.

I checked response of GB support from 1/2 of year ago:

Try to use some more recent VGA. It may be some compatibility issues between new motherboard and 10+ years old graphics card.

I thing that they do not give a f*** unless someone will sue them, or some big Youtube will make big point of it..

Edited by ruthan

Daniel_K : I now experimenting with Gigabyte Z170 board:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-HD3-rev-10#sp

When i try to boot old XP installation i get ACPI error (start bluescreen, even for safe mode), could you pleas check last F22 bios for it and if ACPI is broken fix it?
  Here is advantage that installation is already ACPI, so in theory i can run without reinstall.

I can try P2P soft to adjusting hardware for existing installation, but if it would be the same as for Z370 MB, it would bypass that ACPI error, but now i know that is Bios issue, so perhaps.. i can fix it without reinstall.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:57 PM, ruthan said:

Daniel_K : I now experimenting with Gigabyte Z170 board:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-HD3-rev-10#sp

When i try to boot old XP installation i get ACPI error (start bluescreen, even for safe mode), could you pleas check last F22 bios for it and if ACPI is broken fix it?
  Here is advantage that installation is already ACPI, so in theory i can run without reinstall.

I can try P2P soft to adjusting hardware for existing installation, but if it would be the same as for Z370 MB, it would bypass that ACPI error, but now i know that is Bios issue, so perhaps.. i can fix it without reinstall.

Hi, here is the ACPI fixed BIOS. Only the ACPI table was modified.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g16d12a8wpw2yk9

Just flash in DOS using the modified Efiflash.exe included.

4 hours ago, daniel_k said:

Hi, here is the ACPI fixed BIOS. Only the ACPI table was modified.

Can you modify the BIOS for my X99 board?

I'm very interested in the possibilities of this. ACPI issues are a major stumbling block for other older operating systems as well. If it's possible to correct some of this with BIOS modding it may solve some compatibility issues.

9 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Can you modify the BIOS for my X99 board?

I'm very interested in the possibilities of this. ACPI issues are a major stumbling block for other older operating systems as well. If it's possible to correct some of this with BIOS modding it may solve some compatibility issues.

Didn't see anything wrong with its ACPI table.

Should support Windows XP right away, but I can't say anything about older OSes.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, cc333 said:

Hi,

I just built a new-ish PC using a Gigabyte z270p-d3 and I was wondering if its BIOS could be patched for XP as well?

Thank you!

c

Yep.

If you are really willing to try it, let me know and I will patch the BIOS for you.