Xp on Z370 / Z170 MB, few devices with ! mark in device manager, help + ACPI tunning, not working browsers

ruthan

Hello,
i made XP working with Z370 with your help (i had  to heaviely modify ISO, insert Fernando and Network drivers, setup network, PS/2 were not working at all, so i had to make machine working through remote desktop..,), now its working quite good - LAN/AUDIO/Video/USB2/3.. except no ACPI automatic shutdown (im not able to boot with ACPI machine type, i had to use MIPS multiprocessor type of machine) and probably not too much power savings.. but i still have some mess in device manager, some devices with exclamation marks + on unknown device, i hope that you will help me to fix it, or at least tell for what these devices are for.. and what means that they are not working.

Error is always code 12 - Device not found enough of resources (this error was typical for WIn 98, but for XP its strange..)

Because is still not possible insert picture from Google Driver/ Dropbox public link.. Here is zip with pictures..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/19retj8fescgl38/WinXP-Z370-drivers.zip?dl=0

Edited by ruthan

The ACPI could be a bios issue not a software one.  You may have to set the ACPI mode in the bois to somthing differn't . ACPI on XP is like 2.0 0r 3.0

Edited by Destro

Bios above 5th gen Intel needs to be patched to support ACPI under XP  .

It is risky but certain cases Reactos ACPI driver can fix it .

As for Intel usb 3.x , it too can be fixed by patching bios.

2 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Can you elaborate further on this?

I don't know much but a Taiwanese lady patched my msi z170 bios which switch back Intel usb 3.0 to usb 2.0.

I can upload the bios if you wanna see.i hope it is still on my usb stick.

Edited by Dibya

On 1/13/2019 at 2:24 AM, Dibya said:

I don't know much but a Taiwanese lady patched my msi z170 bios which switch back Intel usb 3.0 to usb 2.0.

Might be interesting to examine the patched copy versus the original. It's over my head, but some of our more advanced members may be able to learn from it.

On 1/12/2019 at 2:26 AM, Destro said:

The ACPI could be a bios issue not a software one.  You may have to set the ACPI mode in the bois to somthing differn't . ACPI on XP is like 2.0 0r 3.0

I will check Bios for some ACPI related items, but im not sure if there is anything like this..

Any details how to use ReacOS ACPI drivers, where to find them exactly etc?

Edited by ruthan

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:24 AM, Dibya said:

Please share the BIOS so we can see what has been done.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:40 AM, ruthan said:

Hello,
i made XP working with Z370 with your help (i had  to heaviely modify ISO, insert Fernando and Network drivers, setup network, PS/2 were not working at all, so i had to make machine working through remote desktop..,), now its working quite good - LAN/AUDIO/Video/USB2/3.. except no ACPI automatic shutdown (im not able to boot with ACPI machine type, i had to use MIPS multiprocessor type of machine) and probably not too much power savings.. but i still have some mess in device manager, some devices with exclamation marks + on unknown device, i hope that you will help me to fix it, or at least tell for what these devices are for.. and what means that they are not working.

Error is always code 12 - Device not found enough of resources (this error was typical for WIn 98, but for XP its strange..)

Because is still not possible insert picture from Google Driver/ Dropbox public link.. Here is zip with pictures..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/19retj8fescgl38/WinXP-Z370-drivers.zip?dl=0

The current PC architectures are optimized for and rely heavily on ACPI features.

Having ACPI enabled is mandatory for all devices to work properly in Windows XP and Server 2003 as many devices share IRQs.

I have managed to get ACPI fully working (except system wake-up) on my Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 3 by patching the ACPI table.

I can patch your BIOS provided that you have a Gigabyte board, just let me know the exact model.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:49 PM, ruthan said:

I will check Bios for some ACPI related items, but im not sure if there is anything like this..

Any details how to use ReacOS ACPI drivers, where to find them exactly etc?

Unfortunately there are absolutely no BIOS settings related to legacy ACPI compliance.

Doesn't work, already tried this.

3 hours ago, daniel_k said:

Remember you need to reinstall Windows XP after flashing.

Its really necessary? I have my tuned 10 years+ old installation, it was able to survive at least 5 Mainboard upgrades, so i dont want too do it, only because of some exclamation marks..

2 hours ago, ruthan said:

Its really necessary? I have my tuned 10 years+ old installation, it was able to survive at least 5 Mainboard upgrades, so i dont want too do it, only because of some exclamation marks..

I understand your situation.

Problem is, I'm pretty sure you can't change the HAL from Standard PC to ACPI PC without reinstalling.

Don't you have a spare hard disk just to try a fully working ACPI install of XP?

DeviceManager.PNG

Welcome to MSFN, @daniel_k! It's great to have you around! :hello:

4 hours ago, daniel_k said:

Problem is, I'm pretty sure you can't change the HAL from Standard PC to ACPI PC without reinstalling.

I guess he can all right: by changing the boot.ini line from (say):
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /pae
to (say):
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro HK Change" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /pae /KERNEL=NTKRNLPA.EXE  /HAL=HALAACPI.DLL
then rebooting. I think this change sticks, so it should be possible to return to (say):
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=AlwaysOff /fastdetect /pae
for the next reboot and the hal and kernel won't change back, IINM.
It's been a long time since I last used that, however, so YMMV. But it may be of help.

Of course, anyone who follow this advice, does so on his own, and knowing fully well that the standard disclaimer applies: I guarantee nothing whatsoever about it, nor about the use one makes of it. So, by deciding to apply it you fully accept that anything you do is of YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITY... Hence, if after performing this mod your pc morphs into a purple mushroom and explodes, causing a 10-day worldwide blackout in the process, you know you can't blame me for it! You have been warned.

New, installation, i have space, for it.. but i will loose my configured system settings, if i would want to replicate all settings, i will spend 2 weeks with it.

I know not related, but its Bios thing too, so.. 

Are you able to modify Bios to run PCI-E Gen1 graphics cards? So far, every i have tested (Radeon X600, Geforce 7300, Geforce 6600) was ignored and computer. I know that some other boards even X99 have this problem too. When i try to set primary GPU slot to slot which Gen1 cards, card is just ignored and machine is booting from 1st slot Geforce 970 right away.. 

Such card would be better for Dos Compatibility, which is running somehow even with G970 and i can try the lack with Win98 - with external Sata controller and with new Rloew patch, someone made at least Z170 running, so maybe, maybe this MB could make it too..

Second problem is Intel 218 / 219 LAN no XP driver. I have too use additional Broadcom 5721M NIC, which is not ideal, because it eats PCI-E slot and there not MacOS drivers (i have MacOS too on this machine).

Edited by ruthan